AUSTIN, TX – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
For professional consulting, interim executive, and project-based assistance please visit EcommerceConsulting.com.
This is one of the best VP Ecommerce jobs around. We are working with TheCHIVE in their search for a VP of Ecommerce based in Austin, TX. To my mind, this is, like, the perfect ecommerce job: An explosively-growing company whose business is fun, located in one of America’s best cities to live in.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: How much time do you have right now? 10 minutes? That’s not enough. 20 minutes? Still not enough. A half hour? You’re getting warmer. The sad fact is, theCHIVE.com is a very funny, very sexy, highly addictive website (especially for guys) that can EASILY destroy an hour of your time, no problemo. Unless you have at least 20 minutes to burn …
Still with me? You liar! You clicked and came back, didn’t you?? It’s okay. Now check out the following block of text clipped verbatim from the client’s original job posting for a merchandise planner …
The Chivery is expanding and looking for a Merchandise Planner. Do you have what it takes to manage, forecast, and predict current and future product sales? The Merchandise Planner position is for you! Work in a fast paced and slightly-drunk environment and help The Chivery to achieve their sales goals. No ties allowed. Previous training and experience in the Merchandise planning field is required. Must love dogs.
Got that? “Slightly drunk … No ties … Must love dogs.” Sounds like my sister’s house.
But make no mistake: This company is KILLING it online, thanks largely to the vision of its founders, John and Leo Resig. theCHIVE launched in November of 2008 with Leo in Chicago and John living in Venice Beach. (CHI for Chicago and VE for Venice = CHIVE) After a year, the website’s popularity was growing and Leo moved to Venice to set up shop with John and cousin Bob. Five years later, Resignation Media packed up from Venice and moved the Headquarters to Austin where it plans to stay.
Resignation Media is not a network, but rather a family of websites consisting of the flagship site, theCHIVE.com and also includes theBERRY.com, theTHROTTLE.com, theBRIGADE.com and the ecommerce site, TheChivery.com. The proudest addition is Chive Charities, where the firm is able to activate the most generous and kind audience on the internet to raise money for orphaned causes.
Chive Nation has taken its community offline and has hundreds of meet ups a year all over the world. A buddy of mine went to one of these and said it was an atomic throwdown. So there’s that.
As VP of Ecommerce, the new hire will be responsible for all financial and business operations within Resignation Holding’s ecommerce division, The Chivery. Additionally, the VP will work closely with executive management to define and execute the Company’s vision and strategy to enhance long-term growth and maximize value.
- Work with and report to Resignation Holdings executive management team to define the corporate e-commerce strategy and lead the entire Chivery team
- Analyze and assesses the structure and effectiveness of the existing operations for The Chivery.
- Identify current needs based on existing business structure, new technology and market competition
- Direct and manage all internal teams as well as manage all 3rd party external teams pertaining to web/mobile development, design, marketing, accounting, legal, and production/fulfillment.
- Manage the P&L and develop a yearly business plan and annual budget
- Supervises web and mobile product development efforts
- Take a strategic view of the digital commerce landscape, keeping current with industry best practices and trends.
- Lead and motivate a talented team of ecommerce professionals providing vision, direction and guidance
- Manage and negotiate large vendor contracts, and partner with additional third-party vendors to identify and apply solutions as needed for site experience improvement and operational optimization
- Partner with Finance, Marketing, Service and Planning Departments to forecast weekly/monthly sales, margins and review financial rollups
- Partner closely with our Customer Experience department to understand the competitive service landscape (benchmarking, supply chain industry networking, etc.), and incorporate relevant customer-focused strategies into The Chivery’s plan to drive future sales, retention and customer enthusiasm
- Conduct independent and team research to assess value and impact of proposed initiatives
- Conduct bi-yearly reviews with all employees in the e-commerce division
- Work with HR to identify key employee position gaps and hire people as needed
- Instill a results-focused culture with clear goals that are connected to critical priorities
Desired Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years of e-commerce management experience with proven ability to develop/implement a successful e-commerce strategy
- E-commerce business models (trends, competitors, distribution channels, customer base, promotion, and products)
- Experience in developing a framework to analyze and report on ecommerce merchandising performance
- Strong independent decision-making, organizational, planning and problem-solving skills
- Strong sense of ‘brand’ and customer experience
- Ability to lead, coach, inspire and develop
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.
PS – If you’re thinking about changing jobs this year (through us or anyone else), you might want to check out this post on why even TOP candidates get rejected.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)
Other Ecommerce Job Listings
- NEW – Senior Web Analyst (Encinitas, CA) – Full write-up
- NEW – SEO / SEM Manager (Greenville, NC) – Full write-up
- NEW – Director of Customer Success (San Diego, CA) – Full write-up
- NEW – Digital Marketing Manager (San Diego, CA) – Full write-up
- NEW – Director of Email Marketing (Indianapolis, IN) – Full write-up
- NEW – Director of SEO (Indianapolis, IN) – Full write-up
- NEW – Google Analytics Guru (Whippany, NJ) – Full write-up
- VP of Ecommerce (Metro Jackson Hole, WY) – Full write-up
- Director of Ecommerce (Metro Philadelphia, PA) – Full write-up
- Director of Ecommerce (New York, NY) – Full write-up
- Ecommerce Manager (Duquesne, PA) – Full write-up
- VP of Business Development (HOME BASED) – Full write-up
- Dir. Ecom Web Development (Redwood City, CA) – Full write-up
- Director of Ecommerce (Metro Boston, MA) – Full write-up
- Director of Ecommerce IT (Miami, FL) – Full write-up
- Director, Online Marketing (Walnut Creek, CA) – Full write-up
- Digital Marketing Manager (New York, NY) – Full write-up
- Director of Omni-Channel Marketing (Boise, ID) – Full write-up
- Email Marketing Manager (Houston, TX) – Full write-up
- VP of Ecommerce Marketing (Simi Valley, CA) – Call for password
- Director of Online Marketing (Philadelphia, PA) – Call for password
- Sr. Manager, Global Digital Merch (Boca Raton, FL) – Call for password
- CTO / IT Leader (Metro Austin, TX)
- Sr. Digital Analytics Manager (Los Angeles, CA)
- Director of SEM – Travel (Clearwater, FL)
- Assoc Content Strategist (Los Angeles, CA)
- SEM / PPC Manager (Clearwater, FL)
- Web Analytics Manager (Brandon, FL)
- Digital Marketing Manager (Los Angeles, CA)
- Director of Site UX + Merchandising (Los Angeles, CA)
- UX Designer (Los Angeles, CA)