LOS ANGELES – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To subscribe to our searches, click here. Alternatively, follow EcommerceJobs on Twitter. To add your resume to our confidential database, click here. To like us on FB, please click here.
UPDATE: This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
We are working with Steelhouse in their search for a gifted Content Brand Copywriter to develop and evangelize the company’s brand.
SteelHouse is the leading Behavioral Commerce brand that helps online retailers market to shoppers based on their personality and buying behavior. The company has won a whopping 10 awards this year, and they’ve been showcased on NBC News as one of the fastest growing and most exciting companies to work for in Los Angeles. See last week’s WSJ article SteelHouse Raises $6.3 Million to Be the eHarmony of Ecommerce.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: I studied rhetorical theory (sorry, dad) at the University of Georgia, and I’ve been waiting my whole life to manage a search like this. I need a writer. Big time. I need…
- Somebody who can dramatize the simple.
- Somebody who can define and capture the essence of the Steelhouse experience.
- Somebody who has an open mind and can recognize great ideas.
- Somebody who understands people; their hopes, dreams, fears, anxieties, and resentments. The whole schmeer.
I need someone to bring Steelhouse’s brand to life, both online and off. I need someone who understands how to use Steelhouse’s insanely great resume to create a narrative for the company. Seriously.
Because in marketing, a company’s resume is different from the stories people tell about it. Those stories, by the way, are called “reputation” – and it’s never a good idea to let your public, or you’re your competitors, define you. In marketing, you have to define yourself and create your own personality, kind of like Dos Equis did here …
I can hear you now: “Harry, puh-leeze! Are you going to sit there with a straight face and imply that Steelhouse is as cool as the Most Interesting Man in the World?? No way!”
WAY!! This month SteelHouse swept both the Judge’s Choice and Audience Choice awards at Under the Radar, a Silicon Valley event focused on highlighting breakthrough technology startups. All told, the company won 10 such awards in 2011, thanks to its Behavioral Commerce Platform, Real Time Offers and Retargeting products.
So it’s not like you’ll be getting paid to put lipstick on a pig. Steelhouse is killing it, and it will be your job to help the world understand why the company and its category are truly important.
Which means your work will be important.
At Steelhouse, “personalitizing” the brand will mean helping the company explain itself: Who exactly is Steelhouse? Why is Steelhouse here? Why should people listen to Steelhouse? In terms of its product development, what gives Steelhouse its moral authority? What does Steelhouse stand for? What does it stand against? What flaws and failures humanize the brand, lending credibility to its story?
All of these storylines are yours to develop. Your work will affect everyone in this incredibly successful 30 person company. Your work will be used (a lot!) in every marketing channel and at every step in Steelhouse’s sales cycle. You’ll get regular face time with Steelhouse’s President/CEO, and yours will be the “voice” of Steelhouse.
If you are the kind of writer who can make Steelhouse so intriguing that if it were a person, you’d want to take it home after you dated it – then I’d like to hear from you. Apply below.
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
- Hands on day-to-day brand writing across company initiatives – social media, PR, product and marketing.
- Educates/communicates internal and external constitutes on SteelHouse brand strategy, positioning, voice, strategic pillars and competitive advantages.
- Ensures that business model is clearly articulated for the brand, understood by key stakeholders and scalable to drive system growth.
- Interface with creative and client services team to ensure SteelHouse brand is accurately reflected in company creative and product usage by clients.
- Provides strategic guidance to clients and agencies on best creative voice to use in conjunction with SteelHouse products, help write creative copy for clients.
- Define customer brand experience with Steelhouse products and work with product team and sales to ensure brand consistency.
- Serve as the company’s primary brand guru who ensures all company initiatives, messaging and marketing adhere to brand standards.
- Develop and manage brand strategy, particularly from a brand voice perspective.
- Provide brand guidance to other departments and on-strategy brand voice usage.
- Build Brand Business Plan and Model. Monitor collective impact of all initiatives/products/marketing/PR/client services to ensure they achieve overall objectives set out in Brand Plan and Business Model.
- Advances SteelHouse brand within eCommerce and online product verticals.
- Anticipates and identifies business opportunities and challenges and responds with a profitable strategy that aligns and supports the overall brand growth strategies.
- 7+ years of brand content writing and content creation, brand strategy, positioning and voice experience. Exceptional brand editorial and day-to-day brand writing experience a must.
- Must be comfortable rolling up sleeves and creating and executing company brand writing needs.
- Strategic and innovative thinker; can create broad business and brand concepts and strategies.
- Superior influencing, leadership and visionary skills.
- Constructive approach to dealing with conflict; strong mediation skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with team members, internal stakeholders and external constituents.
- Exceptional leadership presence and strong communication platform skills; ability to establish credibility at all organizational levels.
- Passion for understanding consumer behavior and point of view.
- Analytical, makes decisions using data.
- Comfortable with complexity, ambiguity and change.
- Eye for design and décor, creative arts. Culturally astute and well-connected / informed on social media and online trends
- Startup experience preferred with online eCommerce, fashion, technology B2B/B2C companies ideal
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to work with short lead times and tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in teams
- Strong MS Office skills
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry Joiner for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)