AUSTIN, TX – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the DMA, NEMOA, SEMPO, Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To get our jobs by email the minute they’re posted, click here. To add your resume to our confidential database, click here.
UPDATE: This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
We are working with SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) in their search for a Vice President of Online Marketing / Demand Generation based in Austin, TX. SolarWinds provides powerful and affordable IT management software to more than 95,000 customers worldwide – from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. SolarWinds made Forbes magazine’s list of the 25 Fastest Growing Technology Companies in the United States based on sales.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Having been heavily involved in B2B sales for most of my career, I have a deep understanding of how the lead generation process works: Think of a sales funnel and the “AIDA” marketing model, where Job 1 is to drive Awareness, which gets converted to Interest, which gets converted to Desire, until the customer finally takes Action. At the risk of oversimplifying, the VP of Demand Generation’s job is to help generate Awareness for SolarWinds’ products, and convert that Awareness to Interest though webinar registrations, whitepaper downloads, and so on.
You’re probably asking yourself, “Harry, why are you pimping a B2B sales role on a B2B ecommerce job board?” Because of the number of companies in SolarWinds target market. While the client did not disclose their market share, their software represents a disruptive solution to a prickly problem experienced among CIOs for businesses of 20 employees and up.
Here’s the problem: Nowadays, IT leaders have a gazillion devices on their networks (smartphones, laptops, desktops, etc), and when a single device fails, SolarWinds’ software helps the IT manager find that needle in the haystack. SW’s products are downloadable, easy to use and maintain, and provide the power, scale, and flexibility needed to manage today’s complex, far-flung IT environments.
For SMB IT executives, it’s the killer app.
Which explains why SolarWinds has more than 95,000 customers plus a vaery large email house file — bigger, in fact, than many B2C house files, which is why we need a candidate with a B2C sensibility in this role. These are very high LTV customers with a continuity-like, recurring revenue stream.
So, just how big is the market? Well, I did some digging, and according to the Census, there are nearly 28 million businesses in the United States, 600K of which match SolarWinds’ target customer profile of 20+ employees. That’s just in America. SolarWinds has customers around the world.
And remember: In terms of the number of devices that small businesses must contend with, we’re looking at more complexity, not less, in the future. More smart phones. More laptops. More tablets. In the next five years, computing will become more distributed, not less. And given this increasing complexity and the ease with which IT managers can download a 30 day free trial of SolarWinds’ inexpensive software, it’s easy to imagine why SolarWinds’ best days are ahead of it.
Bottom line: We are looking for someone with a very successful track record in B2C customer acquisition or B2B lead generation. Be prepared to have detailed discussions about your successes in SEO, SEM, email marketing, and affiliate marketing. How many people have you managed? How big were your budgets in these channels? What was your ROAS? What was it before you took over? Etcetera. We want a street-smart, business-oriented, politically savvy, highly competent executive to take this team to the next level. Call me if you have any questions: 404-281-2025
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
- The VP of Demand Generation will be responsible for global demand generation effort across NA, EMEA, and APAC.
- Oversee the development, implementation, and tracking of strategic online marketing initiatives that drive sales growth.
- Responsible for the performance and effectiveness of the prospective customer’s online experience including traffic and contact acquisition.
- Manage team to drive marketing efforts for the following areas: SEM/PPC, SEO, Affiliate advertising in the B2B space, keywords development and optimization, landing page optimization, email, social media
- Deliver significant ROI in each of the demand generation vehicles across geographies
- Globally responsible for traffic targets, collaborates with Brand Management to drive contact acquisition and meet targets
- Work closely with Brand and Product Strategy to customize email campaigns and maximize conversion.
- 10 years of experience in online marketing with an emphasis in email and contact acquisition.
- Strong track-record of improving ROI for paid marketing efforts through ongoing daily performance analysis.
- Experience developing and leading demand generation efforts to drive traffic across multiple product lines globally
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to ask Harry for packet #1360 of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)
To add your resume to our confidential database, click here.