SAN JOSE, CA – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the DMA, NEMOA, SEMPO, Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To get our jobs by email the minute they’re posted, click here.
We are working with SwimOutlet.com in their search for a Director of Buying for their corporate headquarters in San Jose, CA. SwimOutlet.com, the web’s most popular swim shop, offers talented and motivated people the opportunity to do the best work of their lives in a dynamic and growing company.
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included several (very large) Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, Keurig coffee machines, and MORE …
The Director of Buying is responsible for a team of Buyers who oversee all aspects of retail buying from maintaining optimal inventory levels to finding and negotiating terms with new and current vendors. The Director of Buying is also responsible for managing a supporting Merchandising staff whose activities include product placement, imaging, pricing, sales, and promotions …
The ideal candidate must have extensive supervisory experience as well as ecommerce retail buying experience, preferably in swimwear or athletic apparel. He/she should be the type of leader who is able to motivate others to execute tasks in a timely, efficient, and quality-oriented manner.
The candidate must have great people-skills in order to nurture vendor relationships, manage the Buying/Merchandising Team, and work effectively with internal departments critical to his/her team’s success. The Director of Buying must also be a great listener, problem solver, and someone who has the ability to make smart decisions in the absence of perfect information.
- Supervise a team of Buyers with supporting Merchandisers and keep them focused on priorities and execution
- Maximize profitability by constantly seeking opportunities to enhance margins, increase sales, expand payment terms, drive down costs, and improve inventory turns
- Ensure the maintenance of optimal inventory levels through timely purchases
- Manage all aspects of merchandising including product presentation/placement, imaging, descriptions, pricing, and competitive analysis to maximize profit based on rigorous analytical research
- Communicate regularly with vendors and stay on top of new products and innovations
- Foster open communication with internal partners (Marketing, Operations, etc.) and serve as the main point of contact in collaboration with these partners
- Research local and national competitors and develop competitive responses accordingly
- Determine new areas to expand our offerings
- Bachelors Degree in a related field
- 5+ years of retail buying/merchandising experience with at least 3+ years in an e-commerce setting
- 5+ years of supervisory experience
- Proven record of success in growing sales and developing vendor relationships
- Knowledge of basic retail mathematics and how they affect profitability
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Highly analytical, able to read numbers and make predictions
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- High level of personal energy to drive team and sustain productivity
- Proficient in the use of Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet Explorer
- A sharp eye for detail with the ability to observe and recognize patterns
- Ability to make good decisions using judgment and experience
UPDATE: This search is CLOSED. To see our other searches, please click here.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)