NEW YORK CITY – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the DMA, NEMOA, SEMPO, Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To get our jobs by email the minute they’re posted, click here.
UPDATE: This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
We are working with Tacit Knowledge in their search for a Project Manager, Software Development based in New York, NY. Tacit Knowledge is a consulting firm that specializes in software development, system stabilization and Agile coaching.
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included several (very large) Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, Keurig coffee machines, and MORE …
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
The Project Managers at Tacit Knowledge are the planners in an organization primarily comprised of hands-on technologists. They are the consultative peers of client product owners and engineering managers. Project managers have many years of experience managing the development and delivery of software. They can comfortably speak with anyone about any aspect of a software development project at any stage – and add value.
- Listen, learn and consult. This is a client facing services role where you will interact directly and frequently with outside business and technical stakeholders.
- Lead a team of highly talented, senior, motivated and self-directed software professionals. This is not a job for a micro-manager; it’s a job for a problem avoider / problem solver.
- Conduct day-to-day client communications. Build credibility and trust. Promote transparency. Manage expectations
- Represent the team effectively by keeping things realistic. Avoid slippage. Mitigate risk
- Manage business analysts and QA resources. Perform these functions when necessary (i.e. you could do the job of a BA in your sleep)
- Establish credibility by climbing the curve to understand anything – at any level of depth – related to the project.
- Raise red flags and facilitate dialogue that transforms “issues” into actionable plans
- Oversee the entire software development life cycle: Gather Requirements. Review requirements. Author specifications. Write stories. Build task lists. Run status reviews. Prioritize. Manage scope. Track Velocity. Re-prioritize. Update the backlog. Stay a step or two ahead
- 5+ years managing software projects with at least 5 resources
- Experience shipping at least 3 somewhat complex multi-module n-tier enterprise systems – preferably in a J2EE/Unix or Microsoft .net environment
- Superlative interpersonal and communication skills, including polished presentation skills: you will regularly present project status / demo software to all levels client organizations.
- Familiarity with Agile software development methodology (Scrum and/or XP). Experience taking proactive action to improve project velocity and code reliability
- A knack for herding business analysts, engineers, QA resources, and customers to make sure stuff gets done.
- The experience and maturity to deliver bad news to customers and tackle problems head on
- 5+ years working in the trenches of software development efforts before becoming a project manager
- Previous experience working as the Director of Engineering, VP of Engineering, or CTO for a small team // startup.
- Experience working in the professional services arm of an enterprise software vendor or in a “services oriented” development organization inside a large enterprise
- Experience collaborating with remote/offshore development teams
- Experience working as a business analyst or QA resource.
- Experience shipping and/or enhancing ecommerce systems or other high availability web-based applications
- Experience taking over distressed projects and turning them around
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to ask Harry for packet #1269 of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended. How to Apply:
- Write a cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Please discuss why this job sounds like a good fit for you.
- You must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employer. This client will not sponsor visas, nor will they hire consultants through sub-contractors that hold your visa.