This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To subscribe to our searches, click here. Alternatively, visit our Twitter feed at http://twitter.com/ecommercejobs. We are working with Belk, Inc. in their search for a Buyer based in Charlotte, NC.
Belk, Inc. is the nation’s largest privately owned mainline department store company with more than 300 fashion department stores in 16 contiguous Southern states and sales totaling $3.5 billion in its past fiscal year. The company seeks to be the department store of choice in each community it serves by providing superior service and merchandise that meets customers’ needs for fashion, value and quality.
The role of the Buyer is to prepare business plans to drive performance of a category by interpreting trends and market offerings, assortment development, developing and executing marketing programs and negotiating with vendors. The Buyer is responsible for merchandise selection, performance to plan, and coordinating advertising and marketing programs. The Buyer’s responsibilities include:
- Creates and executes seasonal financial plans including sales, gross margin and profit as directed by the DMM
- Creating item level unit plans by store and receipt flows by month
- Management of the OTB and receipt flow plans for their areas; develops forecasts as directed by the DMM
- Manages replenishment of styles to insure an in-stock situation in their areas of responsibility
- Ensures that procurement and purchase order management processes are executed effectively and on a timely basis
- Maintains strong relationships with key vendors
- Communicates with vendors to insure timely delivery
- Collects markdown dollars and co-op dollars for advertising
- Maintains vendor mix
- Responsible for the development and execution of advertising & marketing programs consistent with corporate marketing strategy
- Executes corporate advertising direction defined by departmental business strategy
- Works closely with Product Managers to ensure effective development and execution of private brand products consistent with merchandise direction, trends and key items.
- Ensures performance to plan
- Monitors business performance and takes appropriate actions
Essential Functions/Behavioral Traits:
- Strong analytic skills and motivation to meet or exceed plan
- Exhibits effective leadership by:
- Maintaining professionalism in work relationships and habits
- Providing direction, counseling and coaching to staff
- Developing creative solutions to business issues Is multi-task oriented to meet deadlines
- Works effectively with staff and Divisional/BSS management to achieve sound financial and merchandising solutions based on analysis, input and experience
- Reacts to business trends in a timely and efficient manner Is willing to take calculated risks to achieve results
Management Practices & Business Applications:
- Executes merchandise presentation direction via planogram process
- Shops competition
- Ensures training and development of associates to appropriate or potential skill levels
- Effectively communicates with or directs staff and external vendors
- Effectively partners with other Buyers
- Four-year college degree
- 3+ years of retail experience.
- Proficient in business-related computer software (Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills.
- Clear retail math skills
Reports Directly to: Divisional Merchandise Manager
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to ask Harry for packet #1190 of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.