COSTA MESA, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Volcom in their search for an Ecommerce Web Developer to be based in Costa Mesa, CA. The company’s slogan is “youth against establishment,” and its Facebook page describes Volcom as “a modern lifestyle brand that was founded on liberation, innovation, and experimentation while remaining dedicated to the breakdown of established traditions.” See for yourself.
Serving 16-22 year olds since 1991.
Founded by CEO Richard Woolcott, Volcom’s primary line of business involves the design, manufacture, and marketing of action sports apparel for the skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding, and motocross subcultures. Volcom maintains a very deep athlete management group which currently sponsors the following brand ambassadors:
- Surfers – Bruce Irons and Ozzie Wright
- Skateboarders – Geoff Rowley, Rune Glifberg, and Mark Appleyard
- Snowboarders – Gigi Ruf, Terje Haakonsen, and Kevin Pearce
- Motocross riders – Ryan Villopoto, Josh Hansen, and Tyla Rattray
These guys are on the bleeding edge.
The company has a music division, which was co-founded in 1995 by Woolcott and Volcom’s current VP of Marketing, Ryan Immegart, and it licenses and operates 46 retail stores under the Volcom brand in the US and abroad. Volcom raised $89 million in its 2005 IPO and was acquired amicably in 2011 for $608 million by the French luxury retailer, PPR. But Volcom hasn’t lost its edge. And it won’t, either.
Okay, so what’s the job?
We’re looking for a front-end web developer who will work within Volcom’s ecommerce team to build new features and functionality into the online store. You’ll be doing everything from evaluating new technologies to scale the present infrastructure, translating designs into HTML/CSS, building online store templates, creating look books and Facebook apps, and creating tools to support marketing and engage users.
You must be adaptive, self-motivated, detail oriented and have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in front-end web development.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Web Developer with a minimum of 3 years LAMP experience
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented programming fundamentals
- Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code
- Ability to understand /write MVC based class systems and other design patterns
- Develop functionality based on in-depth review of metrics
- Analyze web analytics data as well as other offline data to monitor website performance (e.g. customer experience, fall out points, customer demographics & trends, etc.)
- Participate in website projects as a measurement and analytics expert, identifying reporting requirements, creating and managing report implementation, and analyzing post-launch metrics
- Develops analysis to discover underperforming areas of the website to identify opportunities to improve site performance
- 5+ years in MySQL
- 3+ years using source control systems (SVN)
- 3+ LAMP administration, knowledge of server administration from shell/terminal
- HTML5 and CSS3 experience
- Experience with Demandware a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science preferred
- Exposure to Internet specific issues: e-mail deliverability, SEO, cookies, web sniffers, Firebug, search algorithms
- Past experience dealing with browser compatibility and regression testing
- Past experience of working with an e-commerce platform. (Magento, MarketLive, Demandware, ATG, IBM Webshere Commerce)
- Strong skills in a general purpose programming language such as C, C++, Java, C#, Visual Basic, or the like are required
- Strong familiarity with principles of relational databases
Applicant must be:
- Quick to adapt to changing technologies.
- Innovative, easygoing and hardworking.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to collaborate effectively with other staff members.
- Experience in an agile environment a plus.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)