COSTA MESA, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest analytics jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Volcom in their search for a Sr. Digital Analyst based in Costa Mesa, California.
Volcom was founded in 1991 on the slogan “youth against establishment.” How’s that for an underlying premise? The company exits to foster “a higher level of consciousness within its fans through the internal and external journeys that board-sports, music, art and film provide.” Wow.
The company prides itself on making quality apparel, outerwear, footwear and accessories that not only exemplify a free-wheeling surfer lifestyle, but also enhance the ability to live it. By being the first company ever to combine surfing, skating and snowboarding under one brand, Volcom’s purpose was (and still is) to support young creative thinking.
I don’t normally do this, but online retailers are always asking me what they should do to help their consumers develop an emotional bond with their brand. Even if you’re not looking for a job, you should check out Volcom’s website as an example of “who’s getting it right” in the area of aligning a firm’s values, vision, and mission with its strategies, tactics, people selection methods, and (probably) compensation systems …
Here are Volcom’s values …
- WE ARE A RIDING COMPANY: We sponsor top skateboarders, snowboarders and surfers who are all supported by a strong marketing infrastructure.
- PRODUCT DRIVEN: We design, produce and distribute top quality product that is innovative and exciting.
- LONG-TERM: We always make decisions for the long term based on quality and integrity.
- NEW FUTURE: We manage and are accountable for our impact on the environment, people and communities in which we operate. We understand that Sustainability is a cornerstone of longevity for Volcom and each department will do their part to move us forward into what we call… the New Future.
- BEST EMPLOYER: Our employees are our greatest asset and Volcom is the number one place where people who share our values want to work.
- FUN, ORGANIZED AND EFFICIENT: We run a tight ship and operate like a Swiss watch while striving to maintain a fun environment. We always look for ways to improve our operation.
In marketing, btw, “stories” exist to celebrate and reinforce your firm’s values …
FUN FACT: People buy products and they join brands.
Volcom is one of the very few firms I’ve dealt with in the last 12 months that isn’t panicking about Amazon. Why? Because buying from Amazon is like buying from a vending machine: You can have anything you want if you have enough money, just don’t ask for ice.
With brands like Volcom, Amazon is irrelevant. In general, nobody feels better (sexier / smarter / stronger / morally superior) about about themselves because they buy from Amazon. Amazon is all about utility. But that’s not the case with Volcom. People BUY products and they JOIN brands. You can spot a Volcom customer from a distance. There’s a Volcom vibe to them.
Volcom seeks a Global Sr. Digital Analyst to support its Digital DTC Ebusiness by providing digital marketing performance reporting; website analytics; financial performance, financial forecasting/reporting, and business analysis of website activations to support all facets of decision making.
What that means is that we are looking for someone who knows how to manipulate the data layer, install tags, and has deep experience with Google analytics. This is a new role. Meaning, you’ll need to have the personality to create – not only a roadmap for the leading and lagging indicators of digital performance and innovation within Volcom worldwide. But also we want you to help architect the data environment from scratch.
There’s no shame in the fact that Volcom currently lacks a CRM system and a BI solution. They’ll get there. For now, the firm has Google Analytics. The SQL database awaits your attention, and it’s worth noting that Volcom is in need of a better dashboard solution. We are looking for a thought leader – someone who can partner with Volcom’s whip smart VP of Global Ebusiness (who recently earned her Master’s Degree in Predictive Analytics from Northwestern University).
Volcom is one of those places where analytics can be truly strategic.
From a nuts and bolts standpoint, the client doesn’t have an analytics leader who can calculate demand versus shipped, for example, and the firm’s weekly reports are extremely manual right now. Initially, you won’t have any direct reports, so winning in this role will involve rolling up your sleeves. As the role grows into an internal thought leadership discipline, you’ll certainly benefit from partnering with global financing and global IT. You’ll also build a trusted advisor relationship with the C-suite.
Lots of analytics job postings say that. In this case, it’s totally true.
This is a phenomenal opportunity for a rising analytics star who is an excellent communicator, has a solid business acumen, and is okay with being an army of one for an indeterminate period of time while Volcom’s analytics function is built out. Ideally, Volcom’s new Global Sr. Digital Analyst will have solid digital marketing and ecommerce merchandising experience, as well as an ability to work closely with members of finance and IT.
If that’s you, then this is your chance to be the progenitor of an omnichannel consumer engagement discipline for one of the coolest surf brands on the planet. This is a global role, which means you will get an opportunity to travel.
As usual, I spent nearly an hour on the phone with this role’s hiring manager and I’m sitting on a mountain of proprietary intelligence about Volcom, its markets, its customers, and this role. You definitely don’t want to apply for this job without those things, so hit me up by text at 404-281-2025. Otherwise, simply apply using the link below.
We look forward to working with you!
- Ongoing analysis of web sales, traffic, conversion, gross margin, inventory, sales mix, price elasticity and other key metrics.
- Support the development of a business recap solution that will incorporate benchmarks, KPI’s and other metrics that will enable key decision makers to identify areas of strength and weaknesses within the business.
- Establish relationships with key business partners to ensure that business needs are met.
- Create monthly financial reports to inform management of business performance.
- Perform post-mortem analysis of pricing actions, promo events, and site testing.
- Actively participate in strategic and tactical planning to drive growth.
- Collaborate with external partners to assist with data collection and reporting.
- Create and execute multivariate or a/b/c tests that drive fundamental improvements to the site experience.
- Work with Digital Marketing to leverage site tag management for insight and performance reporting.
- Create and execute email marketing, digital media ROAS and overall digital marketing KPI marketing reports.
- Effectively communicate results and business needs to management team.
- Manage ad hoc projects as they occur market insights to optimize overall program.
- Manage ad hoc projects as they occur.
- Analyze and report on weekly and monthly global eComm sales performance and forecasts; identify trends and opportunities.
- Own month-end close reporting, accruals, cost planning and Customer metrics reporting
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting or equivalent. MBA is a plus.
- 6 – 8 years analytical experience working in an eCommerce or retail environment.
- Proven leadership experience
- A successful candidate for this position is energetic and motivated, and possesses strong interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills
- Expert level knowledge in Excel and other Office tools
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Kelley Newsome. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Kelley for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.