REDONDO BEACH, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
Now in West Los Angeles: One of the coolest Director Ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with Smart Living Company in their search for a Director of Ecommerce Marketing based in scenic Redondo Beach, California.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Smart Living Company sells home decor and giftware merchandise that the firm designs and contract-manufactures in the U.S., Asia, and India. It primarily sells its merchandise to home-based entrepreneurs (“Members”) who resell the merchandise in a variety of ways, including: offline to boutique retail stores; offline Member home-parties and trunk shows (similar to Stella & Dot); and online market places like Amazon.com and eBay.com. In addition, SLC sells other brands of merchandise direct to consumers as well as to retailers.
Many home-based entrepreneurs prefer Smart Living’s model because it does not require its Members to buy any merchandise until after the Member sells the merchandise to his or her customers and invoices them separately. There’s no upfront cost other than a monthly pay-as-you-go membership fee. Also, Smart Living Company does not pay Member commissions for signing up other Members so there’s no pyramid structure.
The home furnishing wholesale industry took a beating during the recession, but revenue is expected to increase 4.6% this year to nearly $50 billion. As consumer confidence improves and disposable incomes rise, demand for these products should increase. The five-year growth forecast for this industry is bullish, as consumers are expected to increase their spend on these items. By 2019, the home furnishing wholesale industry could reach $60 billion.
Currently, most of Smart Living Company’s revenues come from the Member channel. My kickoff call with the hiring committee lasted nearly 2 hours, and I have all of SLC’s KPIs as they relate to this search (number of Members; number of 12-month buyers; number of SKUs sold through the Member channel; conversion rate; AOVs; and more).
What’s important to know about the Member channel is that when Members’ customers place an order, the product is “blind drop-shipped” from SLC’s warehouse directly to the customer in a box with the Member’s own label so it looks like it came from the Member — not Smart Living Company.
Here’s a look at SLC’s Spring 2015 collection …
Ultimately, Smart Living Company seeks to reach $100 million by selling through the Member channel, while dramatically growing its direct to consumer business. The synergies between these channels are significant and the possible channel conflicts are minimal.
Currently, consumers can buy from Smart Living Company at everyday low prices, while Members buy Smart Living Company’s products at wholesale prices for resale on eBay, Amazon and through their own websites. Member’s pay a monthly membership fee of $20 to $40 for the ability to buy these products at deeply discounted wholesale prices.
Your job is to make that happen.
Four ways Smart Living Company’s management sees that happening is through large paid search (e.g., Adwords), affiliate (e.g., Commission Junction), email, and coupon marketing initiatives. Additionally, SLC’s new Director of Marketing will need to know how to target, attack, penetrate, and grow new HBE verticals, and it’s fine if offline channels are leveraged, including sponsorships, outbound telemarketing, events, direct mail, networking / referral marketing, and PR.
Your job is to grow the business in ways that are cost effective, brand accretive, and resource friendly. For the most part, management is channeling agnostic. It’s all about maximizing revenue while minimizing cost-per-lead and cost-per-sale.
As you consider applying, ask yourself:
- Do I understand technology, and can I use it to drive results?
- Do I have a track record of developing fantastic creative?
- Can I teach others to leverage my process for developing creative?
- Do I see myself developing and driving a cutting-edge strategy for recruiting new Members for Smart Living Company?
- Do I have an analytical bias to the way I make decisions, and do I understand paid search and affiliate marketing at a granular level? (Many candidates think that just because they know the tricks of the trade, they know the trade. This client spent north of $10 million on paid search in 2014, and we are looking for someone who is truly an expert in Google Adwords and Commission Junction. This is a MUST.)
- Is it in my nature to demand to obsess over where an Member came from, what ad campaign drove the entrepreneur to the website, and what they purchased in gross dollars by category, product grouping, or season.
- Do I have a strong track record of driving and measuring gross margin from different customers based on different attributes, and then developing models to replicate the highest performing initiatives based on lifetime value, payback period, or ROAS?
If you can’t answer YES to most of these questions, this might not be the opportunity for you. If you did answer yes, here’s what you can expect in your first 100 days on the job …
The company launched a new website and they’ll be looking for some groundbreaking variations in their paid search and affiliate initiatives to support it. There are more home-based entrepreneurs than ever before thanks to high unemployment and 5 years of recession. Many of these folks have tremendous drive and there’s more (and better) technology than ever to work from home. These people are searching online for ways to make money, and paid search and affiliate is a tried-and-true growth channel for Smart Living Company. It’s called “fishing where the fish are.”
Additionally, email marketing has always performed well for Smart Living Company, and the company needs you to drive its prospecting efforts through this channel. Additionally, in order to make a major impact, you’ll need very deep knowledge of mobile commerce, social media, SEO, coupons, and ecommerce platform integration.
We’re looking for a well-rounded ecommerce leader who knows how to rock the top line.
SLC’s parent company owns many other companies including major online retailers, offline distributors, and manufacturers — and they’re always in the market for others. Great investment opportunities are a lot more common than great marketers. If you crush it in this role, then you can expect to be given a significantly greater growth opportunity (personally, professionally, and financially) as you help SLC’s sister-businesses grow.
If that kind of opportunity appeals to you, then please apply below. Candidates, be sure to ask me for the intel for this search, which is VERY comprehensive. You don’t want to interview with this hiring committee without it.
- Oversee all online marketing including budgeting, ROI justification and team management
- Revenue and margin performance for PPC, affiliate, SEO, email and other customer acquisition efforts
- Ensure corporate Brand message is communicated clearly through all online digital assets
- Lead / oversee email segmentation strategies that maximize customer life cycle and profitability
- Monitor analysis of marketing programs to make improvements
- Develop and oversee strategies to grow affiliate, comparison shopping and retargeting efforts
- Create and execute digital merchandising and promotion strategy. This includes monthly calendar development and ensuring product availability internally
- Analyze and interpret KPI’s. Monthly/weekly reporting to key stakeholders.
- Develop effective promotional strategies that encourage shoppers to convert to buyers, purchasing in-line product along with seasonal merchandise
- Ensure that all promotions are set up properly in the system and tested
Forecasting / Fulfillment
- Manage inventory allocation and work with Operations to secure appropriate inventory for new product launches and ongoing products
- Formulate markdown/off-price strategy with other business units for excess and obsolete products
- Partner with distribution to further optimize ecommerce fulfillment, freight, planning and logistics
- Oversee and execute weekly and monthly reporting including projections and reviews on all key performance metrics
- Train, motivate, and develop team
- Build and maintain key relationships with cross functional team members
Desired Skills and Experience
To do this job successfully, the individual must have a comprehensive understanding of …
- Internet best practices and the impact that these have on SEO
- Internet Marketing best practices that result in customer acquisition, retention and growth
- Managing and directing website Technical Structure, Design & Aesthetics, Content, Navigation, Information Architecture, Branding/Marketing, and Functionality efforts to positively impact eCommerce efforts
Must also possess:
- Business Degree, ideally an MBA
- 5 – 10 years experience managing retail websites
- Ability to specify technical changes to technical/development teams
- An in depth understanding of search engines, search engine optimization and factors that influence high rankings
- Experience with PPC – Management of Pay per click programs
- Ability to compile and analyze search data and metrics and make decisions regarding campaign direction
- Ability to perform click through rate, conversion, spend and creative analysis to identify growth/optimization opportunities
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Strong independent decision-making, organizational, planning and problem-solving skills
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.