METRO ORLANDO – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest metro Orlando Programmer jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Eckler Industries in its search for a Sr. Web Programmer / Analyst based in Titusville, Florida, just 40 miles from Orlando and so close to the Kennedy Space Center that you can actually see rockets take off from the company’s office.
How cool is that?
Eckler is a direct marketer of auto parts serving the auto enthusiast. The firm focuses on the classic American car restoration subculture. Meaning, while Eckler does inventory late-model Corvette and late model Camaro parts, those are more of an extension of its earlier product lines revolving around classic Corvettes, Camaros, Ford’s, Chevys, and the like.
The firm’s business mix is 85% consumer and 15% wholesale.
For the most part, Eckler markets through annual catalogs for its largest product lines and takes advantage of specific digital marketing channels to amplify its catalog coverage. Its house file is quite large, and traditionally Eckler has done very well in organic search, pay per click, and email. The firm’s strategy has been to niche itself over and over again to specific product lines – as evidenced by its popular websites EcklersCorvette.com, ClassicChevy.com, LateGreatChevy.com, RicksCamaros.com, EcklersFirebird.com, and more.
Boys ages 3 to 103 go nuts for these cars, and the world is full of rabid, well informed car collectors who live to hang out with their fellow car buffs showing and restoring classic cars.
If you’re the right guy (or gal!) for this role, you’ll enjoy this …
So that’s your target customer. And believe me: They’re out there in large numbers.
Demographically, Eckler’s customers aren’t too different from the readers of, say, Hemmings Motor News, and we’ll be happy to share the client’s own deliriously detailed description of the firm’s “slam dunk” customer. For now, let’s just say that Eckler’s customers have a deeply emotional connection to their car’s performance and appearance — and they’re downright obsessive about the parts and accessories used in their restoration projects.
And they dig a BIG assortment, too.
Eckler offers nearly 150,000 products across a wide range of automotive restoration categories that include high-performance parts, accessories and OEM parts used to restore a car to its original state. Naturally, with a selection like that, Eckler’s sites are pretty involved from a programming standpoint.
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Ecommerce, you’ll be neck-deep in PC Servers, PC Gateways, PC Systems, and networking hardware (LAN and WAN). That’s because you’ll be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of all Eckler web applications. Every day, you’ll find yourself supporting the firm’s technical architecture and infrastructure utilizing a LAMP solution stack.
And this is critical: Eckler is a Magento shop, so Magento experience will give you a HUGE leg up in this search. HOWEVER … Magento is a little like WordPress in that it’s a “template-ized” solution, and because it’s so brain-dead simple to install, it’s E.Z. for any Tom, Dick, or Harry to slap up a basic Magento site for a local dentist or florist and claim that they have experience with Magento.
Well Jimmy, that ain’t gonna cut it here.
We’re looking for a Magento Ninja who has seriously modified product pages, improved a check out process, or significantly enhanced a Magento site beyond simply installing a theme. Be honest: Have you worked on the PHP side of Magento and customized an ecom site in a meaningful way?
Simply checking boxes and adding a field doesn’t count!
Eckler needs someone who has implemented gnarly business logic; changed something about shipping methods; introduced gift cards; streamlined a checkout process; etc. Like, have you integrated Magento with third-party data?
Perfect! You’re probably our guy / gal.
For this position, ecommerce experience is CRITICAL. Eckler’s sites are transacting more than 1000 orders per day and this is a big league online retailer. You’ll need to understand organic search … different forms of payment … how to present product lists … on-site search issues related to ecommerce … and more.
Do you know the difference between a product page and a product listing page?
You don’t? Then this job probably isn’t for you. As usual, we spent nearly an hour on the phone with this client discussing 1.) The top five problems that exist due to the position being open; 2.) The background requirements for this role; 3.) The 100 day key initiatives for this position; 4.) The hiring process; 5.) and much more.
Who else wants to soar with eagles?
If you’ve got ecommerce in your blood and you’re ready to work with super smart people in a hugely fun category, here’s your chance: Eckler is making serious investments in its future, and it continues to hire leaders with a passion for winning and a commitment to success. Management knows that world class companies are defined by a clear and compelling vision — where leaders at every level are expected to influence the firm’s future.
If that appeals to you, then we’d love to hear from you. Apply below.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, Develop, Test, and Implement Web based applications for all commerce and non-commerce web sites utilizing PHP, Zend Framework, Javacript, HTML, and CSS per Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Familiarity with MVC design patterns.
- Monitor and maintain current web applications and provide analysis and resolution of bugs as needed.
- Provide application and system administration support for the Apache web servers, Linux servers, and MY-SQL database servers.
- Lead and direct the work of Web programmers.
- Create and maintain documentation as required.
- Create test plans and perform proper testing of all applications before releasing into production.
- Provide metric reporting for websites and project status reports as required.
Minimum Qualifications and Qualities
- 5+ years of experience in web software development in an Ecommerce business environment. Magento experience a MAJOR plus.
- Understanding of Internet software engineering principles, techniques, and development methodologies.
- Proficiency with web servers, HTML, Zend Framework, PHP, and web infrastructure.
- Proficiency with database servers, MySQL.
- Proficiency with the Linux operating system and its variants.
- Experience with on-site search engines such as EasyAsk, Mercado, Endeca, or SOLR.
- Knowledge of Ecommerce and Internet Marketing techniques.
- Ability to understand analytical site traffic data and to respond to customers’ patterns, trends, and usability needs.
- Strong and creative user interface design skills and experience designing Ecommerce pages and websites.
- Effective organizational, analytical, and follow-through skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and strong listening skills.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of managers and employees from junior staff positions through most senior executive level.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities, to respond positively to unexpected changes, and to continuously reprioritize as needed.
- Works collaboratively and effectively within a team of peers.
- Satisfy all legislated and governing employment requirements.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Kelley Newsome. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Kelley for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.