NEW YORK CITY – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest NY ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with a confidential ecommerce client in their search for a Site Merchandising & Promotion Manager based in New York City. This is a terrifically cool NY ecommerce job.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: This client is a 65-person luxury travel company that has been killing it on the B2B side of the business. According to the firm’s CEO, the company has millions of dollars in business on the books, and now it’s developing a new consumer-facing (retail) brand for affluent, luxury travellers.
Their B2B model is easy to grasp: The firm negotiates rock-bottom prices with car rental companies; hotels; activities and attractions; and airlines and combines these offers into unique packages for sale to travel agents (who then mark them up for sale to their retail clients).
But here’s the kicker: To know first-hand which destinations and attractions to include in their packages, my client sends their team out to stay in the hotels; rent and drive the cars; visit the attractions; and so forth. (Nice work if you can get it!) At this point, the client has collected so much intel on these partners that it is launching a site that will curate the luxury travel experience for affluent consumers.
That’s where YOU come in.
In doing my homework for this search, I was surprised to learn that, according to Luxury Travel Advisor, the luxury market for travel is scorching hot and affluent travelers display a distinctive demographic profile. Check out these statistics …
- There are 2.4 million affluent (and up) households in the USA.
- 44% are Boomers between the ages of 49-67 (Average = 56).
- 82% have an annual household income between $250,000 and $500,000.
- 82% are married.
- 65% are employed full time (meaning, they’re not retired).
- 63% have graduate-level educations.
- 41% have children living at home.
The words they used to describe themselves provides an interesting insight into their social values and sense of personal achievement: Intelligent (78%); Honest (71%); Reliable (68%); Financially secure (64%); Happily married (62%); and Loyal (61%). 75% of affluent travelers have a valid passport, and 43% took an international trip in the last 12 months. On average, these folks spent $17,067 on vacations in the past 12 months.
My client is not trying to be another Expedia. The firm seeks to help luxury travelers, many of whom book trips by visiting 5-6 websites to check out prices and destinations before trying to do it themselves. My client is creating a new platform that will make it easy for affluents to research, book, manage, and change (on the fly) life-changing trips — quickly and easily.
And believe it or not (I didn’t at first), there’s only one other company doing this right now — and they’re not nearly big enough to make a dent in this $41 billion market. My client has significant money to spend on marketing and it has a curated list of approved hotels that have been visited by a team with extensive experience in tour operating. Plus, the client has hired a bunch of developers and leaders from the OTA space, Expedia, and Travelocity to make this thing happen.
How would you like to be in charge of merchandising a site like that??
About the Role:
The Site Merchandising & Promotion Manager will develop and implement promotional programs and seasonal campaigns to support the firm’s marketing strategies and goals. You’ll work closely with marketing, supply and revenue management to create unique and effective promotional & merchandising strategies and merchandising that support all marketing channels. In this role, it’ll be your job to …
- Develop and execute the strategy for all branded site, social and mobile promotions, optimizing continually for order conversion impact, market performance
- Lead and develop analysis of key promotions and initiatives to improve performance against financial goals
- Work with marketing and U/X teams to develop multivariate and A/B testing of all promotional activities
- Support the marketing team in the creation of its promotional and merchandising calendars
- Maintain the promotional calendars, ensuring all relevant promotion details are available and up to date for our stakeholders to leverage
- Work with marketing team, be responsible for execution of promotional campaigns in all channels, including email and social
- Work closely with the hotel supply team to ensure good deal coverage for promotions
- Work with non-supplier third-parties to build differentiated and effective cross-channel promotions
- Help develop and measure lifestyle-branded evergreen promotions
- Build comprehensive creative briefs to be sent to supply, promotional agencies and others for consistency in coordination
- Work with revenue management and supply to monitor competitive pricing and promotion, identify merchandising opportunities and coordinate their execution
- Work with Content and UX to build winning promotional landing pages
- Ensure all promotions meet revenue and margin goals with direction from Revenue Management
- Benchmark promotions against competitors and other retailers to ensure best practices
- Bachelors degree
- 5-7 years ecommerce retail marketing and/or merchandising experience
- Travel industry retail experience
- MS Excel and Word proficiency required
- Knowledge of html will be an advantage
- Savvy with analytical reporting tools
- Understanding of ecommerce software applications, database management skills.
- Passion for understanding and driving EMS customer interaction, Online merchandising, and business results.
- Desire and ability to work at both strategic and tactical levels.
- Critical thinking skills supported by an understanding of web data analytics and their applications.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Kelley Newsome. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Kelley for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.