NEW YORK CITY – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest NY ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with a confidential ecommerce client in their search for a Revenue Manager based in New York City. This is a terrifically cool ecommerce job.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: This client is a 65-person luxury travel company that has been killing it on the B2B side of the business. According to the firm’s CEO, the company has millions of dollars in business on the books, and now it’s developing a new consumer-facing (retail) brand for affluent, luxury travellers.
Their B2B model is easy to grasp: The firm negotiates rock-bottom prices with car rental companies; hotels; activities and attractions; and airlines and combines these offers into unique packages for sale to travel agents (who then mark them up for sale to their retail clients).
But here’s the kicker: To know first-hand which destinations and attractions to include in their packages, my client sends their team out to stay in the hotels; rent and drive the cars; visit the attractions; and so forth. (Nice work if you can get it!) At this point, the client has collected so much intel on these partners that it is launching a site that will curate the luxury travel experience for affluent consumers.
That’s where YOU come in.
In doing my homework for this search, I was surprised to learn that, according to Luxury Travel Advisor, the luxury market for travel is scorching hot and affluent travelers display a distinctive demographic profile. Check out these statistics …
- There are 2.4 million affluent (and up) households in the USA.
- 44% are Boomers between the ages of 49-67 (Average = 56).
- 82% have an annual household income between $250,000 and $500,000.
- 82% are married.
- 65% are employed full time (meaning, they’re not retired).
- 63% have graduate-level educations.
- 41% have children living at home.
The words they used to describe themselves provides an interesting insight into their social values and sense of personal achievement: Intelligent (78%); Honest (71%); Reliable (68%); Financially secure (64%); Happily married (62%); and Loyal (61%). 75% of affluent travelers have a valid passport, and 43% took an international trip in the last 12 months. On average, these folks spent $17,067 on vacations in the past 12 months.
My client is not trying to be another Expedia. The firm seeks to help luxury travelers, many of whom book trips by visiting 5-6 websites to check out prices and destinations before trying to do it themselves. My client is creating a new platform that will make it easy for affluents to research, book, manage, and change (on the fly) life-changing trips — quickly and easily.
And believe it or not (I didn’t at first), there’s only one other company doing this right now — and they’re not nearly big enough to make a dent in this $41 billion market. My client has significant money to spend on marketing and it has a curated list of approved hotels that have been visited by a team with extensive experience in tour operating. Plus, the client has hired a bunch of developers and leaders from the OTA space, Expedia, and Travelocity to make this thing happen.
About the Role:
The Revenue Manager is responsible for improving & maintaining market competitiveness and optimizing revenue with online products and offers. In this role, you will serve as the revenue analyst, responsible for defining and implementing revenue management strategy for vacation packages, hotel and ancillary offers. In this role, you will also …
- Develop revenue management and channel optimization analysis
- Be responsible for facilitating pricing, margin and sort optimization decisions to maximize revenue in key markets.
- Share insights and gain buy-in to recommendations for revenue and profitability improvement based on critical analysis of pricing & distribution strategies and tactics.
- Manage markups for stand-alone and packaged product
- Perform detailed data analyses to identify new revenue management opportunities
- Implement new pricing strategies and quantify revenue impact
- Define business requirements for new revenue management tools and assists the product team in quantifying new product benefits and developing robust test strategies
- Work closely with marketing and merchandising to optimize inventory, pricing, channel mix and promotional opportunities
- Analyze supply contracts with a view to optimizing overall margin.
- Diligently monitor the marketplace for regular competitive pricing changing, trends and opportunities
- Collaborate with supply, merchandising and promotion to create pricing strategies that keep the brand competitive, yet profitable.
- Monitor execution of pricing and inventory strategies and tactics, and track and measure effectiveness of strategies. Establish daily, weekly, monthly reporting structure.
- Work closely with business analytics and product management to ensure optimized selling environments with consistency across platforms.
- Take ownership of financial forecasts and impact models for new products, channels, promotions and features
- Provided reporting and feedback to executives and senior management, investors
- Developing and managing the planning, reporting, and analytical tools necessary to support the marketing team, with an emphasis on maximizing return on marketing spend.
- Work closely with Supply to maximize margin, maintain contractual compliance
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Management, Business, Finance, Economics, Statistics or a relevant field of work required.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in pricing and Revenue Management ideally in online travel.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative financial skills with solid modeling and presentation skills
- Expert level knowledge of property level pricing and revenue management “leading practices”, processes, methodologies, current and emerging technologies required. Strong operational understanding of hotel level operations, sales and support functions.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills.
- Influencing style of leadership required with proven track record of successful consulting relationship and strategy implementation.
- Organizational agility and demonstrated success in implementing complex, cross-functional initiatives through direct and indirect influence.
- Strong communication and presentation skills required; experienced in interacting with and presenting to executive management.
- Minimal travel required.
- Must be able to have a sense of collaboration, performance excellence, sense of urgency, openness to new ideas, inclusion & diversity, integrity, customer focus, and respect required.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize effectively, and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams successfully in a fast-paced team environment.
- Negotiation experience a plus.
- Understanding of hotel connectivity and lodging systems a plus.
- Strong in Microsoft Excel, Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Kelley Newsome. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Kelley for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.