FOOTHILL RANCH, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest metro LA ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with Oakley in their search for an Ecommerce Manager based in Foothill Ranch, CA. This is a terrifically cool LA ecommerce job.
Oakley is a sport and lifestyle brand driven to ignite the imagination through the fusion of art and science. Building on its legacy of innovative, market-leading optical technology, Oakley manufactures and distributes high performance sunglasses, prescription lenses and frames, goggles, apparel, footwear, and accessories.
According to Oakley HR: “Oakley’s team is drenched with an intrinsic passion that unites us to the brand. Each team member has their own reason for that connection; sports, Oakley’s athletes, the technology, engineering, the community, or its culture. These reasons motivate Oakley’s team to do its best work — and it shows.
Oakley isn’t where we work. It’s who we are.”
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Global Ecommerce, Oakley’s Ecommerce Manager will be responsible for overseeing merchandising, buying, planning, and fraud management for Oakley.com and OakleyVault.com. The new hire will serve as a cross-functional lead with wholesale, retail, and all Luxottica partner companies while providing support to Oakley International to help grow the firm’s global online sales channel.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Having closed searches for both Luxottica (by whom Oakley is owned) and its competitors, we’re happy to report that winning candidates love working in the optical space. Social, Mobile, Global: You can’t get much more future oriented than that – and, over time, careers at Oakley / Luxottica will certainly expose you to these.
Plus, you get some very valuable experience marketing to millennials.
Oakley is a worldwide leader in performance eyewear, both in sunglasses and obstacle. The company is on a new journey things to attract a younger, more active consumer and it seeks to add a more balanced lifestyle and performance look to its line. Going forward, you can expect to see more cyclists, skiers, runners and other outdoor types sporting Oakley’s product.
According to IBIS World, the global eyewear market is expected to see nearly 4% growth through 2018, reaching $130 billion. The US eyewear manufacturing industry accounts for approximately $5 billion (although that seems low to me). The US sunglass market is typically distinguished by price and function, and classified into premium and value segments.
The premium segment has grown faster than the value segment in the past five years. Premium sunglasses typically offer full protection from the ultraviolet rays of the sun, while value sunglasses may not carry UV certification. While many consumers purchase sunglasses for functionality purposes, many individuals also demand sunglasses for fashion reasons which has contributed to shorter replacement cycles.
Without getting into the numbers, Oakley has been very successful in the last five years — with compound annual growth rates that might surprise you. Nationally, ecommerce is an essential part of the company’s growth strategy, which is why this new role was recently created. The basic purpose of this position is to topgrade Oakley’s online merchandising and planning functions while providing specialty retail sourced, director-level bench strength to the team.
CANDIDATES: To fully understand what you will need to LAND this job and then CRUSH IT in the role once you do, Harry Joiner spent 68 minutes on the phone with this client. Now at NEXTgig.com, you can access 1808 words of Harry’s personal notes from that call along with his supporting research from IBIS World, Factiva, Datamonitor, and more. To request your log-in credentials to NEXTgig, please TEXT your name to Harry at (404) 281-2025. Here’s just a taste of what you’ll glean from that information …
- The top FIVE things all winning resumes must have – and how each of these attributes will help you get traction at Oakley.
- The TWO primary growth levers in Oakley’s online business (and what those will mean to YOU as Oakley’s new Ecommerce Manager).
- The NINE ecommerce disciplines that will be critical to your success in your first year on the job – and the THREE that will absolutely make or break your performance there.
- 100 day key initiatives – The THREE clearly defined initiatives you must complete or make substantial progress against in your first 100 days in order to be considered successful.
- What you can expect during this search’s hiring process.
- Responsible for the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of the U.S. eCommerce business (Oakley.com and OakleyVault.com) to achieve aggressive sales goals and optimization of site-wide Key Performance Indicators
- Work with Retail Planning & Buying teams to ensure alignment in assortment planning, while maintaining a wide breadth of available products.
- Own markdown and promotional strategies to maximize profits, including margin implications for inventory control
- Work with retail and wholesale counterparts in managing overall inventory for maximum margin impact for the total company
- Daily engagement with product and buying teams to evaluate top/bottom selling styles and refine go-forward plan, web creative, marketing initiatives and email communication accordingly
- Work with finance team in management of Profit and Loss: Gross Margin, CapEx, and OpEx (marketing, G&A, and selling expenses)
- Create and maintain all Net Sales and Margin targets for submission to finance, the executive team, and Luxottica management committee
- Manage monthly and yearly Open-to-Buy including Demand, Shipped Sales, Net Sales, Returns, Initial and Weighted Margin, Inventory Receipts, and Cost of Goods Sold ensuring optimal inventory turn by anticipating trends and reforecasting
- Business lead of Hybris web replatform and enhancement projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Retail Management, Ecommerce, Internet Business or a related field of study
- 8+ years of working experience in a large complex eCommerce environment with at least 5 years of progressive responsibility in a merchandising and/or buying capacity with track record of conversion/sales success.
- 5+ years of team management experience.
- Background in site enhancements and platform updates, well versed in optimizing User Experience online.
- Strategic thinker and dynamic leadership skills.
- Knowledge of management principles and practices.
- Experience with budgeting, cost estimating, vendor contract negotiations, and fiscal management principles and procedures.
- Ability to develop and prepare comprehensive financial/business analyses.
- Should be a motivated self-starter, process-oriented with high attention to detail.
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment and flexibility to accommodate demanding projects schedules.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Well-versed in understanding, strategizing around, and executing against web analytics.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Familiarity with Agile Project Management, SAP, 7th Online planning tool a strong plus.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.