HERCULES, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Bio-Rad Laboratories in their search for a Global Web Marketing Product Manager based in Hercules, CA — just 10 miles north of Berkeley. This is one of the coolest SEO jobs around …
Bio-Rad Laboratories has played a leading role in the advancement of scientific discovery for over 50 years by providing a broad range of innovative tools and services to the life science research and clinical diagnostics markets. Founded in 1952, Bio-Rad has a global team of more than 6,800 employees and serves more than 85,000 research and industry labs worldwide through its global network of operations.
Throughout its existence, Bio-Rad has built strong customer relationships that advance scientific research and development efforts and support the introduction of new technology used in the growing fields of genomics, proteomics, drug discovery, food safety, medical diagnostics, and more.
Oddly enough, these folks are really funny, and they approach their work with a ton of energy, drive, and enthusiasm. And their customers love them for it, too. This little number has been viewed on YouTube 298,538 times …
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Bio-Rad Laboratories, one of the world’s foremost Life Science companies, seeks to take its online business to the next level. The company already has a $200+ million online business marketing tens of thousands of SKU’s to more than 2 million government, university, and private sector customers in two primary product groups:
- Life Sciences (in product categories like Amplification / PCR; Flow Cytometry; Cell Counting; Chromatography; and Protein Interaction) and
- Clinical Diagnostics (in product categories like Diabetes Testing, Microbiology; Instrumentation; and Quality Control)
While Bio-Rad competes in industries like Pharmaceuticals and Scientific R&D, it is a major supplier to the Biotechnology industry – one of the hottest industries on earth.
About the Biotech Industry:
Biotech companies develop and manufacture drugs used to treat various disease states. The global biotechnology industry includes about 7,000 companies with total revenue of about $140 billion. The US biotechnology product manufacturing industry includes about 1,800 companies with combined annual revenue of more than $80 billion.
The industry is forecast to grow at a high rate through 2016, along with the entire pharmaceuticals, medicines, and biological products manufacturing sector. Demand drivers include the need for new medical solutions to solve complex illnesses such as cancer, and the global need to increase food production. The willingness of insurance companies to pay for new drugs and treatments is also driving demand. Because many drugs are now developed using biotechnology, the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries overlap considerably.
Bio-Rad’s strong R&D focus helps to develop a steady stream of leading-edge tools for the biotech industry. Worldwide, the firm employs approximately 850 R&D specialists to develop new products as well as new applications for existing products. Today, the firm launches more than 100 new products per year, and all of those products need digital marketing support to launch effectively.
About Bio-Rad’s online customer:
Bio-Rad’s typical life sciences customer is an academic researcher who has completed their doctorate or is pursuing a post-doctorate degree and is working on a dissertation. Evidently, when scientists do an experiment, the results get published in a database of experiments which becomes part of each scientist’s permanent record.
I guess my dad was right: “In life, you grow a tail, and that tail follows you around everywhere you go.” The existence of this database encourages research scientists to do work of the highest quality. Naturally, great research is performed on first-rate machinery.
So, if researchers are in the early phases of their research and they don’t know what products are available to support their needs, they’ll Google a scientific term like “digital pcr systems.” From there, they’ll usually peruse content around that topic with the ultimate goal of buying something.
From there, they’ll develop a short list of vendors, after which they will talk to other scientists about the companies and products on the shortlist. Once a researcher shortlists their vendors through peer influence and search engines, they may begin to do very specific product research and perhaps even reach out to Bio-Rad technical support. (Did you see how important SEO was in this process?)
From this point, products can be either purchased online from Bio-Rad.com, or researchers can request a demonstration in the lab. All of these interactions are tracked in Bio-Rad’s sales force automation system.
About the Role:
Bio-Rad needs a highly skilled ecommerce and online pro to develop and optimize strategic on-line marketing campaigns to drive customer acquisition and sales opportunities for the Gene Expression Division. This role will collaborate closely with the marketing team to manage and optimize direct to customer contact strategies, leverage consumer insights and analytics to drive new opportunities, and drive consumer marketing and initiatives. Obviously, SEO is a big part of that.
This position will be responsible for the post analysis of marketing campaigns and provide data-driven answers to business questions. The new hire will be a key player in influencing a customer-centric organization and will be responsible for communicating and recommending digital strategies to marketing leadership team. It’s a really important role, and we’d love to have you apply if you’re an SEO and web analytics super freak.
- Lead global web strategy for new product launches and key initiatives based on goals delivered by product line Marketing Managers
- Align division web strategy with selling regions, with a focus on sharing global strategy, tactics, and assets
- Effectively represent business needs for global web site development, Search Engine Optimization and Marketing (SEO and SEM), and marketing automation for designated projects
- Drive the strategy for SEO projects, SEM campaigns and marketing automation campaigns (includes content planning, generating and coordinating content)
- Develop and deliver a social media strategy for key products
- Meet business goals and calculate marketing ROI while maintaining focus on budget
- Effectively partner with the e-Business and Product Line marketing teams, as well as Regional Sales teams
- Understand web marketing and e-commerce best practices, processes and standards and apply them to designated projects
- Establish global data analysis, metrics reporting, and forecasting channel performance for designated projects.
- Travel 10% of time (domestic and international)
- BS/MS degree required, MBA preferred
- 3-5 years experience in Direct Marketing, Analytics, CRM/Database and/or Online Marketing, preferably in a multi-channel retail environment. Experience in a leadership role a plus
- Hands-on experience in SEM and SEO, and experience across all direct media – digital, email, mail, customer care
- Experience with marketing automation
- Previous experience in technical marketing preferred
- Requires independent effectiveness, taking initiative, strong influencing and driving knowledge.
- Excellent planning, organizational skills, research, time management, multi-tasking, problem resolution and decision making abilities.
- Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with internal business and technical teams, consultants and customers.
- Proven ability to analyze complex problems and implement sound solutions.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.
PS – If you’re thinking about changing jobs this year (though us or anyone else), you might want to check out this post on why even TOP candidates get rejected.