SAVANNAH, GA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Brasseler USA in its search for an Ecommerce Manager based in Savannah, GA. This is one of the coolest ecommerce manager jobs in the southeast.
Brasseler USA is a leading instrumentation provider to healthcare professionals in dentistry; offering a comprehensive assortment of rotary cutting and polishing, endodontic, hygiene and surgical instruments as well as power systems to dental professionals.
Brasseler USA is seeking to hire an Ecommerce Manager to support the Company’s marketing and sales teams by developing and implementing, in cooperation with relevant stakeholders, strategic plans in three key areas: product sales via the Company’s website and websites of affiliates; search engine marketing and optimization; planning, executing and measuring the effectiveness of online advertising, social media and other digital promotional activities.
The ideal candidate must possess strong computer, analytic and project planning skills, as well as a thorough understanding of emerging social media platforms and website functionality. This position is based at the corporate headquarters in Savannah, GA.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Once or twice a month, ecommerce friends will call me to ask what I think about a particular career opportunity (other than my own searches) they are considering.
Among other things, I’ll ask these friends “If you were a venture capitalist, would you buy shares in the company? Is it a well-run enterprise led by likable, stable, business-oriented people, and does it have a sustainable competitive advantage in a growing market?”
The idea, obviously, is that when candidates go to work for companies, they are investing their time, best efforts, industry relationships, and personal reputations in the growth of the firm. This is not to be taken lightly.
Brasseler USA is a leading dental instrumentation provider, providing quality instrumentation to healthcare professionals for use in restorative dentistry, endodontics, periodontology, orthodontics, oral surgery and oral hygiene. Products included in their offering include diamond and carbide cutting instruments, endodontic (root canal) instruments, handpieces, hand instruments and finishing and polishing products. A top 3 dental brand, the Savannah, Georgia-based company operates in the US and Canada and has recently begun expansion into the EU and Asian markets.
I love working with companies like Brasseler, which has loads of brand equity (and therefore, pricing power); is vertically integrated; actively invests in research and development; and has a well-trained and highly respected direct sales force. In short, Brasseler is a growing, internationally oriented, 38-year old company led by likable, stable, business-oriented people – and it has a sustainable competitive advantage in the growing markets it serves.
It’s the kind of firm I’d want my own kid to work for.
Brasseler USA markets its products and services in the following four market segments:
- Rotary instruments, which is basically the drill bits and polishers
- Power (Handpieces), which is the drills
- Endodontic, which is root canal related, and …
- Hand Instruments & Preventative care, which is any instrument a hygienist would use, such as probes, scrapers, forceps, and assorted tools.
Within these four segments, Brasseler sells to general practitioners, orthodontists, periodontists, pedodontists, endodontists, prosthodontics, oral maxillofacial surgeons, dental laboratories, and dental hygienists. It’s a lot to say grace over. Nationwide, there are approximately 95,000 retail dentists, and Brasseler has one of the most sophisticated call-center operations in the country.
So, how does ecommerce fit in to all that?
Currently, only a tiny fraction of Brasseler’s significant revenue stream is transacted online. Yet many of the firm’s clients (especially the younger ones) would like to replenish their Brasseler parts online. For example, if there are 95,000 retail dentists in America and the average dental drill lasts 3 years, then every year one third of that market is up for grabs. Immediately, you can see the benefit of communicating with Brasseler’s customers in a way that is consistent, relevant, anticipated, and personal. Mark Twain said it best …
“When you need a friend, it’s too late to make one.”
Every day, someone at Brasseler must take responsibility for inbound marketing to these dentists in a way that makes them feel valued while supporting the best efforts of each Brasseler field sales rep. That means treating different customers differently while coordinating with the field sales team’s promotional activities. Such promotional activities could include marketing though any one of the following …
- Article placement,
- Public relations,
- Content marketing,
- Press releases,
- White papers,
- Direct mail. Brasseler has done sampling and postcards with DM.
- Email. There is an extraordinary amount of potential in this channel.
- Lead generation,
- Print advertising,
- Phone calls,
- Seminars, workshops. The firm sponsors educational events and lunch-and-learns with sponsored speakers to talk about specific procedures. To date, Brasseler has not done a lot of webinars.
- Trade shows. Brasseler USA does 200+ shows per year, such as the ADA Annual Meeting see here ….
Right away, given the information intensity of these products and the diversity of these channels, any world-class Ecommerce Manager can see the importance of multitouch, multichannel attribution. For example, mail a postcard, drive the recipient to an online landing page, collect their contact information for a free download, and have a sales rep follow-up with the prospect. Who gets credit for the sale? More importantly, what is Brasseler’s ROI for that particular marketing initiative?
Be prepared to help management tease out issues like this.
The good news is that the underlying economics of Brasseler’s business are extremely favorable, and in particular, the firm’s brand awareness, market penetration, average order value and conversion rate are outstanding. Perhaps this is because almost everyone who buys from Brasseler has bought from them before.
It’s as close to shooting fish in a barrel as anything I’ve seen in my nine years of ecommerce recruitment. Plus, you can expect the website to offer 25,000 SKUs once Brasseler’s entire product catalog is live. The firm sells drill bits, parts, and much more in hundreds of shapes, sizes, hardness factors, and so on.
All told, the Ecommerce Manager role at Brasseler is a success story waiting to happen. There’s absolutely nothing in the woodpile here. This is a first-rate operation with a wonderful business model. All it needs is a bright, team oriented ecommerce leader to take it to the next level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work collaboratively with outside agencies, inside media specialists, product managers, and other stakeholders to drive the Company’s sales through digital media marketing.
- Educate management and stakeholders about digital media best practices.
- With product managers, develop and implement strategies for online promotion of new product launches.
- With Sales and Marketing management, define and meet or exceed monthly, quarterly, and annual targets for website order volume and revenue.
- Proactively research and recommend for implementation, as appropriate, state-of-the-industry technology and marketing concepts.
- Develop and implement strategies for optimal search engine result listings and paid-ad placement.
- Comply with regulatory and budgetary guidelines established by the Company’s management.
- Monitor website traffic and recommend optimization tactics for improving conversion.
- Ensure that the Company’s online presence is consistent with the Company’s values and brand image.
- Through reports, presentations, and other analytics, consistently demonstrate and enhance the return on investment of the Company’s website, online advertising, and search engine optimization efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University
Brasseler USA values the diversity and uniqueness of its employees. The Company fosters an inclusive culture with respect to race, age, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, religion, family, education, and life experience.
Brasseler USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with applicable employment laws.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH CLOSED ON NOVEMBER 4, 2013.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH CLOSED ON NOVEMBER 4, 2013.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)