VENICE, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Findmypast.com in their search for an SEM Manager to be based in Venice, CA. Findmypast.com (owned by brightsolid) is an international leader in online family history with over 18 million registered members worldwide. The site connects people to over a billion English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, US, Australian and New Zealand records dating back as far as 1200.
One of the top SEM Jobs Los Angeles
The company just launched its popular international family history brand, Findmypast.com, in the United States and is looking for an experienced SEM professional with a strong analytics and digital marketing background. This position is a crucial role and key to the future growth of the brand in North America and Australia. In this role, you will manage all the pay-per-click activity (PPC) both at a strategic and tactical level for both the US and Australian web sites. In addition this position will be the web and marketing analytics lead for North America and Australia.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: When I was a sophomore in college, I took a class called “Mathematics: The Man-made Universe.” The extra credit question on the final exam was for 20 points: “A very introspective man takes one year to record in his diary the events of a single day. Prove that if he lives forever he will eventually document his entire life.”
Like the man in the question, it turns out that there’s a rabid subculture of people who are really into living in the past. Not in their own lives; but in the lives of their ancestors (which can be far more interesting). These armchair genealogists start plinking around with sites like Findmypast.com and they get hooked: Soon they are consumed with sleuthing what their ancestors did with their lives.
For subscription-based sites like Findmypast, it’s a beautiful thing.
Findmypast.com is owned by brightsolid online publishing, a British-owned world leader in online genealogy with 45+ years’ experience in family history and a record of online innovation in the field of family history that’s nearly two decades long. With nearly 18 million registered users across its family of online genealogy brands, brightsolid hosts over a billion genealogical records from across the globe. The folks have their act together.
In fact, the company is so popular in Europe that it even has its own hit TV show, eponymously called Find My Past …
The average Findmypast user is a college-educated, 45-year old woman who is interested in history and interested in her family. 45 is about the age when people get nose-to-nose with their own mortality, having seen their parents grow old. Additionally, use of these sites can be driven by increases in spare time, as teenage kids require a bit less attention. Plus, teens are glued to the web — which makes their parents more comfortable with online research.
Given these trends, geneology can easily become a hobby given the breathtaking amount of information that’s online — including birth / death / marriage record databases, along with newspaper archives.
The client plans to ramp up spending in paid search and it seeks a PPC and analytics guru who can integrate paid media with the rest of the company’s marketing. You’ll need to understand how to manage multiple campaigns in an Adwords account, as well as how to manage multiple ad groups in each campaign. Naturally, they’ll expect you to understand how to leverage multiple keywords and text ads within each ad group, and then tie it all together with a very hard-hitting SQR.
Plan on doing a lot of experimenting and A/B testing.
To succeed in the role, you must be able to look at web analytics to identify conversion drivers and double down on the things that are working (and tweak or eliminate the things that don’t). Brightsolid has a centralized analytics department in Europe — but due to the importance of this role, they’d like for this function to be U.S.-based. Some travel to London may be required.
- Creating, managing and optimizing all North American and Australian SEM campaigns
- Landing page optimization. A/B split testing to maximize conversions
- Working with our UK development team and third parties in order to develop stronger web and marketing analytics
- Forecasting and budgeting for PPC activities
- Analyzing results of marketing campaigns on key metrics to make strategic decisions
- Managing remarketing and display campaigns
- Managing affiliate agency
- Stay current with new advances in search engine marketing and competitive landscape
- Contribute to international marketing initiatives for all the brightsolid family history websites
- Degree educated, preferably in business, marketing, advertising or statistics
- 2 plus years pay per click experience
- 1-2 plus years of performing deep dive analysis
- 5 plus years in the digital marketing space
- Background in SEO a plus
- Good organizational skills, flexible with ability to multi-task and a hard worker
- Willingness to change marketing tactics based on results
- Ability to work within a busy and pressured environment, either alone or as part of a team
- Have a high degree of reliability, commitment and enthusiasm
- Highly motivated with a willingness to immerse themselves in family history – understand the market and champion our customers
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)