EMERYVILLE, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Deluxe Corp in their search for a Director of Ecommerce to be based in their Emeryville, CA office, just across San Fransisco’s historic Bay Bridge …
You can feel the energy at the Deluxe family of companies. The creative environment and the sense of possibility are what you’d expect at a start-up, yet Deluxe offers all the resources and strength of a well established, publicly traded company.
Deluxe has locations across the United States, Canada and Ireland, and the company serves nearly four million small businesses, more than 6,400 financial services companies, and nine million individual consumers.
FUN FACT: Deluxe.com is ranked among the top 5% of websites in terms of traffic.
The Direct to Consumer business of Deluxe Corporation, Direct Checks Unlimited, is the nation’s top direct-check manufacturer. Established in 1986 as the first major direct mail check printer, Deluxe offered exceptional value on high-quality checks. According to Deluxe, “By maintaining a clear focus on paper checks, Deluxe has grown over the years according to market trends and customer needs.” Translation: Deluxe used its check business as a beachhead to cross-sell millions of small biz clients new products and services while never losing site of its core annuity-like check business. Smart.
Now check out the following Deluxe TV ad. Remember how IBM famously pivoted their business in the 1990s from low margin items like personal printers and hard drives to IT integration and management consulting?
Well, Deluxe is involved in a similar transition in the small business arena. Today, in addition to paper check and form printing, Deluxe offers integrated marketing services like web design, web hosting, email marketing and more to millions of small businesses. It’s not hard to understand why Deluxe’s CEO is very bullish on the firm’s digital business.
According to Magna, the US advertising and marketing services industry includes about 37,000 companies with combined annual revenue of about $94 billion. Demand for advertising and marketing services comes largely from businesses that sell consumer products, entertainment, financial services, technology, and telecommunications.
The profitability of individual companies depends on creative skills and maintaining client relationships. Large companies benefit from being able to serve the varied needs of major customers. Small companies can compete by focusing on niche markets or by offering lower pricing. The industry is fragmented: the top 50 companies generate about one-third of revenue. This fragmentation bodes very well for publicly traded, well-integrated providers like Deluxe.
About the Role:
The Director of Ecommerce will focus on the strategy and execution necessary to drive improved conversion rates and online revenue as well as achieving online customer acquisition numbers. S/he will act as principal guide for growth, profitability, and innovation on the PsPrint website. The new Director of Ecommerce will achieve results by driving strategic marketing initiatives via online advertising, website content, customer interaction, promotions and performance reporting. This position will manage online customer acquisition and retention programs including SEM, SEO, email, affiliate, and social marketing.
The Director of Ecommerce will be responsible for managing key ecommerce initiatives to continuously improve Deluxe’s customer experience. This seasoned ecommerce professional will use site analytics to identify opportunities, drive informed business recommendations and own the execution of A/B and multivariate site tests.
This role is focused on driving a compelling ecommerce experience for the firm’s customers. It is perfect for someone who is interested in using their business acumen, ecommerce and site optimization expertise, and analytical skills to drive exceptional short- and long-term business results. This position will drive revenue by identifying, evaluating and prioritizing site improvements while working with Analytics, Marketing, Product Managers and IT.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding online revenue targets and developing plans to make up for any shortfalls in revenue.
- Possess clear understanding and point of view on the entire shopping experience and develop action plan to improve customer experience
- Identify and document website enhancements with an understanding for the complexities and opportunities related to a multiple storefront environment
- Responsible for planning and managing all updates to the website based on industry and competitor knowledge, site performance data, sales plans/forecasting, and marketing plans
- Investigate, recommend and implement new enhancements that can increase revenue, brand awareness and improve overall customer experience by analyzing the results of ongoing efforts.
- Monitor key eCommerce metrics, using site analytics insights as the basis for business recommendations on optimization efforts; Identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement, generate data-driven hypotheses for alternate approaches that could improve metrics.
- Work closely with Analytics to leverage quantitative data and usability data to optimize and enhance site activity, conversion behavior, customer retention and trends in order to reach and surpass KPI goals (using web analytics platforms and optimization tools such as Omniture SiteCatalyst and Google Analytics)
- Drive targeted A/B and multivariate tests to optimize site conversion and other key performance metrics; Document results and insights from the tests, and propose follow up tests to further optimize the user experience on the site.
- Lead cross-functional teams to design and prioritize functionality improvements as well as merchandising improvements for the website; Partner closely with IT and other groups to see website enhancements through the development process – from business requirements through release
- Manage SEO, affiliate, social and content teams to coordinate efforts and align with business objectives. Direct SEM team to meet business goals.
- Establish and maintain eCommerce best practices across the site; be the eCommerce best practices expert within the company
- Monitor competitive websites to identify trends, opportunities and best practices
- Demonstrated track record developing and driving measurable results through projects to improve website and landing page conversion. Familiarity with Google Analytics, Omniture and other web analytics tools and metrics
- Direct experience with A/B test design, multivariate testing, and data-driven process optimization.
- Significant experience with online marketing strategies, including SEO/SEM, affiliate marketing, email marketing, site conversion analysis, user experience improvements
- Outstanding analytical skills, able to use data to make decisions, strong experience interpreting test results and drawing conclusions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with focus on flawless execution.
- Demonstrated success in driving complex projects within cross-functional teams
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), both in articulating his/her ideas and gathering input from key stakeholders.
- Proven project management skills and the ability to track and lead multiple simultaneous projects
- Advanced knowledge of various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with P&L reviews, customer acquisition models and maximizing online revenue and ROI
- HTML and programming language knowledge an asset, but not required.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.
Get our latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)