ANAHEIM, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest VP ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with Targus in their search for a world-class VP of Ecommerce based in sunny Anaheim, CA.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: I love handling searches for roles that will report directly to my client’s CEO. Such reporting relationships demonstrate that the client is deadly serious about winning in ecommerce. Targus is a U.S.-based manufacturer of accessories mostly related to mobile computing. The firm’s product line includes (but is not limited to) …
- Bags / Backpacks / Messengers
- Cases for Tablets and Laptops
- Laptop accessories such as Chargers, Keyboards, and Mice
- Docking Stations, Hubs, and Adapters
- Privacy Screens / Locks
- Tablet Accessories
With 45 offices worldwide and direct distribution in over 100 countries, Targus’ has sizable enterprise business with SMBs and Fortune 1000 businesses worldwide. Additionally, its products are sold online at Targus.com as well as through dozens of trusted etailers including Amazon, Best Buy, Office Depot, Fry’s and NewEgg …
Targus’ CEO knows how critical ecommerce is for his firm’s growth:
According to Cleveland Research Group’s 2016 Digital Path to Purchase report, consumer electronics (C.E.) is the number one most researched category online and is the second most frequently purchased category online (after clothing). With a CAGR of nearly 30%, C.E. is the only category to have more purchases online than in-store.
Not surprisingly, Amazon is the first place people go for C.E. product information, ratings and reviews, and in the near future the total addressable market for laptop, tablet cases, and accessories on Amazon alone is expected to exceed $1 billion.
Incredibly, a dominant player has yet to emerge.
As Targus’ VP of Ecommerce, you will be responsible for the development and management of Targus’ ecommerce strategy to achieve that growth. You’ll be accountable for identifying short and long-term growth opportunities based on your in-depth understanding of the underlying economics of DTC ecommerce, your target customer’s journey, the competitive landscape within each category, and Targus’ corporate strategy.
It’s all about helping Targus achieve its market share and revenue goals.
In this role, you’ll work closely with Targus’ VP of Marketing to elevate Targus ecommerce to contemporary standards, and you’ll provide clear and put to Targus senior management regarding the tools, team, and tactics necessary to accelerate profitable business growth. Naturally, you’ll have full P&L responsibility for the company’s ecommerce business.
Critically important, you will lead and optimize the performance of various third-party platforms such as Amazon to build Targus’ customer base, generate sales, and increase conversion rates through effective marketing, merchandising and account management strategies. This role will work closely with Targus’ internal Marketing, Finance, Logistics, Operations and Sales Teams to deliver best in class customer experiences while driving Targus’ growth and profitability.
This is not a job for a rookie.
It is absolutely essential that you have very deep experience building a brand on Amazon. Currently, Targus uses Amazon’s Vendor Central platform, but it’s vital that you understand the key differences between Seller Central, Vendor Central, and Vendor Express. One of your primary responsibilities in this role is to optimize Targus’ product and channel mix.
Targus is not married to Vendor Central, per se. But it is married to Amazon.
The company is looking to YOU to determine the best way it should go to market on Amazon, and it expects this new VP to rack up some quick wins as you optimize its Amazon store. Naturally, this will means getting MORE traffic to Targus’ Amazon pages,
It will be up to you to make sure that Targus is getting the most from its Amazon Sponsored Products campaigns, and it will be your responsibility to know which areas of Targus’ listings should be optimized, what content should be added to your listing, and how catalog listings and impact “Amazon SEO.”
Likewise, Targus will expect you to know the slings and arrows of doing business on Amazon so its business there is mistake free. During our interviews for this search, you can expect us to drill down on your knowledge of Amazon’s policies for vendor email communication, the pitfalls of mismatching and / or duplicating product detail pages, your experience using the Amazon A-Z Guarantee, and your success in winning the Buy Box.
Then there’s Google.
Clearly, it’s important to show up at or near the top of Google’s organic SERPs. Everyone knows that. But how should Targus structure and execute its Google shopping campaigns? What should Targus be doing with Google PLAs? How should Targus make its PLAs show up and stand out? Yada, yada, yada.
AGAIN: This is a transformational hire for Targus reporting directly to the CEO.
We are looking for a business person with Game Changer DNA; someone who knows how to impact shareholder value levers (growth, efficiency, capital optimization) while throwing off tons of cash and delighting customers.
Have you ever seen Marcus Lemonis on MSNBC’s TV show, The Profit? Marcus is AWESOME! Marcus is the kind of guy who can walk into a business and with a minimum amount of broken glass figure out how to turn things around in the most customer friendly, reality-based ways.
This is a strong leadership role, and strategic literacy, financial acumen, and operational talent are all REQUIREMENTS of the position. Targus has a well-established wholesale business and it will fall to you to help Targus determine its optimal ecommerce channel mix while transforming the customer’s journey across multiple sales channels.
Since this will be YOUR baby to run, you’ll play a MAJOR role in both Targus ecommerce inventory planning and its online promotional calendaring. Obviously, it’ll behoove you to understand Targus’ acquisition channels of mobile and desktop SEM, natural search (SEO), email marketing, affiliate programs, remarketing / retargeting, CSE, and possibly direct mail.
Philosophically, Targus is channel agnostic.
All of which means that the right person for this role will be results-oriented and process driven. They will have and maintain high expectations of themselves and their team. You will need to be a collaborative leader with deep experience working with cross functional partners. You’ll be getting regular exposure to business planners, content strategists, product developers, digital marketers, UX designers, customer service reps, when analysts, and IT people.
Simultaneously, you will be managing multiple initiatives at both 50,000 foot and granular levels. And you’ll be bringing to bear your consolidated understanding of pricing disciplines, demand curve analysis, price gap analytics, plus margin and mix management. All the while, will expect you to build and direct a cohesive team through coaching, mentoring, and the provision of ongoing feedback.
If one of the things that frustrates you most about your current job is your lack of control over the business, look no further. You’re gonna OWN Targus’ ecommerce business. No two ways about it. If the business is a success, you’ll be a hero. If it doesn’t succeed, you’ll be the goat. The buck stops with you.
That terrifies some people.
And if it terrifies you, Targus wouldn’t be right for you. If you’d like to hear more about this opportunity, I’d love to hear from you. As usual, I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with Targus’ hiring committee, which included the CEO. What I’ve shared here is just the tip of the iceberg. We’ve got an exclusive on this search, and I’d love to chat with you about it.
For more information, text “[your name] + Targus” to (404) 281-2025 and I’ll call you ASAP.
- Develop and execute the company’s eCommerce strategy to support Targus’ company vision and achieve strategic and financial targets.
- Management of direct to consumer sales via Targus.com and Senacases.com along with sales on Amazon.com and other eCommerce platforms.
- P&L ownership including business strategy, revenue targets, marketing mix optimization and resource planning.
- Align and integrate ecommerce business strategies with the overall strategic sales channel.
- Rapidly grow traffic and online sales across eCommerce channels.
- Track and report KPI’s, business drivers and costs to make the appropriate business decisions to meet P&L targets.
- Provide eCommerce business updates to executive team.
- Work collaboratively across B&M Retail and B2B channel sales and product marketing to establish product assortment, placement and pricing strategies across the eCommerce channel.
- Lead L&D strategy for category management & eCommerce solutions, internally and with distributors.
- Develop and execute digital marketing plans to maximize traffic and conversions across the eCommerce channel. Develop and maintain promotional calendars. Analyze KPI’s and metrics to identify trends, generate sales growth and maximize conversion rates.
- Play a key role in go to market strategy and maintain a close relationship with the brand and channel management teams, representing the digital consumer and eCommerce efforts in the process.
- Collaborate with marketing as to brand positioning, promotional activity, and operations regarding production planning and inventory management.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop on-brand creative, messaging and asset implementation.
- Provide expertise on ecommerce industry best practices, and identify new areas of opportunity for long term growth and potential expansion into new markets, product categories and geography’s.
- Build and direct a high performance eCommerce team that becomes Targus’ global eCommerce and digital marketing center of excellence.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role managing eCommerce and direct- to -consumer channels; Amazon.com experience required.
- Proven track record of deploying successful eCommerce strategies that yielded significant eCommerce growth.
- Demonstrated ability to manage all aspects of web analytics related to eCommerce and skilled at communicating relevant information to team members, executive leadership and cross-functional partners.
- Advanced business understanding of category management tools, resources, and best in class capability.
- Deep knowledge of online advertising, interactive marketing trends and search engine optimization fundamentals across Amazon, search engines, and social media.
- Excellent project management skills, with experience evaluating, prioritizing, developing, managing, implementing and testing eCommerce initiatives.
- Strong business sense, problem solving, analytical, planning, communication and negotiation skills.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills; executive presence and ease interacting with top corporate management and Board of Directors.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.