NEW YORK CITY – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We’re working with Dean & DeLuca in their search for a world-class Director of Ecommerce based in New York City.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: With the opening of its flagship store in Soho NYC, DEAN & DELUCA was founded in 1977 by Joel Dean, Giorgio DeLuca, and Jack Ceglic. Very quickly, the firm grew into a multichannel retailer of gourmet specialty foods, premium wines, and high-end kitchenware with operations throughout the United States and abroad. DEAN & DELUCA’s Specialty products are sold through 12 retail stores and cafés, plus a consumer and corporate gift catalog, along with its ecommerce site, DeanDeluca.com. The firm also markets its private label products to carefully selected retailers and wholesalers throughout the world.
DEAN & DELUCA’s mission is to share with its patrons its passion for food of incomparable quality and taste. For more than 40 years, DEAN & DELUCA has scoured the globe for the finest, most extraordinary foods and kitchenware. (Hollywood has certainly embraced it!) DEAN & DELUCA’s goal has been unwavering and simple: To offer products that meet its uncompromising standards. Everyone at DEAN & DELUCA believes that fine food should be enjoyed in its most authentic and original manner.
Here’s DEAN & DELUCA’S President, Justin Seamonds, offering up an excellent overview of the company:
About the Role
DEAN & DELUCA has new owners, and the new Director will find that the new owners are completely committed to positioning DEAN & DELUCA as a world-class luxury brand. They’ve invested in a new website on the Magento platform (which launched for Holiday 2015), and D&D has an excellent partner in Chicago who’s helping with the development and hosting of the site.
There’s a huge opportunity for the new Director to develop and present a compelling strategy for DeanDeLuca.com — and then bring that strategy to life. The strategy would include user experience and functionality improvements to better engage Dean and DeLuca’s customers while telling the brand’s story more compellingly across every customer touch point. The obvious goal is to keep D&D’s customers engaged beyond their first or second purchase.
How entrepreneurial are you?
DeanDeLuca.com will be your business to run. You will be expected to lead the decision-making process on how many people should support it; what their functions will be; what your budget for the operation will be; what inventory and creative assets will be required for the business; what your capital requirements will be; and how much money you expect to make.
You’ll be expected to maintain collaborative relationships across company functions, including Purchasing, Logistics, Merchandising and more. If you have a great idea – DEAN & DELUCA will have the resources to bring it to life. Senior Management is seeing excellent results from the new website, and both customer satisfaction and revenues up dramatically. DEAN & DELUCA has never had more clarity, ability, and resolved to grow its online business.
Your impact won’t end with ecommerce.
Not by a long shot. Not only we would expect you to develop / execute strategies to grow ecommerce it as a profitable stand-alone channel, but also we would expect Ecommerce/Digital to provide “strategic lift” to the brand’s image and storytelling across every touch point (including the stores). What can ecom do to better reinforce the brand? How can it help D&D showcase its knowledge of the hard-to-find and exclusive items? What can it do to build authority in the space? There are many ways DEAN & DELUCA can make that happen.
Like I said, my team and I spent a ton of time on the phone with DEAN & DELUCA’s hiring committee teasing out exactly what DEAN & DELUCA’s new Director of Ecommerce must do to “win” in the role. I’m happy to discuss everything I’ve heard, seen, and researched about those things with qualified candidates.
You definitely don’t want to apply without this intel, so let me hook you up.
Simply TEXT [your name + “Dean DeLuca”] to me at (404) 281-2025. Or simply apply online below. Either way, I look forward to chatting with you!
- Drive customer acquisition and retention.
- Liaise with Marketing, B2B, and Social Media for integrated marketing initiative execution.
- Partner with marketing, customer care, merchant team, and Ecommerce team to formulate and drive content strategies for both online and catalog support.
- Drive qualified traffic to the online store by managing and continuously optimizing performance driven marketing channels.
- Grow file size and improve conversion rate for new and existing traffic.
- Responsible for development and improvement of all CRM activities related to online marketing efforts.
- Provide support for cross-channel integration through management of omni-channel marketing initiatives, including catalog.
- Participate in managing key 3rd party relationships to execute sales and customer growth strategies – remarketing, reviews, SEO/SEM, affiliates, email distribution, web functionality.
- Proactively suggest new marketing projects to increase awareness for and traffic to the online store leveraging special commercial occasions.
- Scout and suggest innovative marketing channels and tactics to grow the ecommerce business.
- Evolve the site by developing projects with the appropriate partner and team members.
- Work closely with the product management team and cross functional areas (merchandising, technology, creative, marketing, analytics) to drive optimal user experience.
- Coordination with in-house call center to be prepared to sell products based on changes and updates to the marketing campaigns and deandeluca.com.
- Review and provide insight to business owners on weekly/monthly business reports, metrics and recaps.
- Ensure best practices are being applied and successful metrics are achieved.
- Develop and manage ecommerce budget and liaise with partners and administration to ensure a smooth invoicing process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field
- 3-5 years of combined leadership experience in both web and ecommerce environments.
- Ability to develop and analyze financial/business data.
- Experience with managing and optimizing online marketing tactics with an emphasis on efficient spending to generate high ROI/ROAS.
- Knowledge of internet technology and platforms and tools such as Magento, Google Analytics, Bronto, SEO, Google Adwords, Remarketing, and Affiliate.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven track record of working collectively with a team to achieve top performance.
- Ability to foster a cooperative, results-driven environment.
- Experience connecting catalog performance with web performance a plus.
- Ability to drive and participate in cross functional teams
- Interest in creating digital and ecommerce marketing strategies as part of an integrated approach to driving brand, content, and product awareness
- Enthusiastic with a can-do attitude
- Excited to be tasked with thinking inside and outside the box to create strategies and tactics to improve our awareness and performance as a brand, inside and outside the ecommerce world
- Willingness to continually seek improvement and process efficiency – minimize requirements of the routine in favor of dedicating energy to imagining and evolving
- Understanding that we want to work with smaller teams of high performing individuals
- Passion for food and gourmet products
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. You can now TEXT Harry for more info at (404) 281-2025. Or to apply on your desktop, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.