METRO SALT LAKE CITY – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest SEO jobs around!
We are working with Sportsman’s Warehouse in their search for an SEO Manager based in metro Salt Lake City, Utah.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Founded in 1986, Sportsman’s Warehouse is an outdoor sporting goods retailer operating in 22 states. The company provides outdoor enthusiasts with high-quality merchandise in a friendly, low-key shopping environment.
See for yourself …
The concept is simple.
Sportsman’s Warehouse offers a one-stop, convenient store layout that promotes “easy-in, easy-out” access to replenish supplies, learn about local conditions and test new products. Sportsman’s Warehouse’s sales associates are themselves accomplished outdoor enthusiasts — which allows them to engage and interact with customers to educate them and equip them with the right gear.
Sales associates draw upon both formal vendor sales training as well as first-hand experiences using the company’s products in local conditions. This selling approach allows Sportsman’s Warehouse to offer a broad range of products (73K SKU’s on avg.) while delivering a shopping experience based on the customer’s needs – which results in increased customer loyalty, repeat visits and frequent referrals to new customers.
The Sportsman’s Warehouse shopping experience is further enhanced by a variety of helpful in-store services and features, including the issuance of hunting and fishing licenses, local fishing reports, availability of Sportsman’s News (SW’s exclusive in-store newspaper), access to a “Braggin’ Board” (where customers can post photos of their outdoor adventures), indoor test ranges for archery equipment and displays of customer-owned taxidermy. 😉
Economically speaking, it’s a great model.
Compared to its principle competitors, Sportsman’s Warehouse can open new stores quickly / cheaply because its “no frills” store layout requires less square footage than the stores of its competitors. Meaning, SW can serve markets of multiple sizes – from smallish towns with populations of less than 75,000 to cities with populations in excess of 1,000,000 – which gives the company a strong foundation for continued expansion within its core markets.
It’s a great time to be a sporting goods retailer.
Between 2013 and 2018, the sporting goods stores industry fared well. The sports participation rate rose 3.3% per year as consumers required athletic apparel, footwear and other sporting goods for their fitness regimens. Additionally, the industry has benefited from consolidation, which has enabled large-scale sporting goods retailers to bypass sporting wholesalers, thus securing supply-side contracts directly with manufacturers.
Meanwhile, the gun and ammunition stores industry experienced mostly consistent revenue growth in response to greater per capita disposable income and gradual growth in the number of game hunters. Through 2023, the sporting goods stores industry revenue is expected to grow at an annualized rate of 2.8% to $57.1 billion, which includes a 2.9% jump in 2018 alone, as more health-conscious individuals get off the couch.
About the role
As Sportsman’s Warehouse new SEO Manager, you’ll develop and execute the firm’s SEO roadmap in collaboration with technology, creative content, brand marketing and merchandising functions. You’ll establish and set the right KPIs for SW’s search marketing programs, and work to drive high-quality backlinks to TONS of proprietary content (which already exists).
SW’s management is totally committed to growing the company’s online business. And for good reason: In the 13 weeks ended May 5, 2018, total sales were ~$180 million – up 15% from the year prior. However, for the same time frame, SW’s ecommerce business increased 75.3%.
The firm’s new CEO (previously with Hayneedle) knows a thing or two about SEO. He and new VP of Marketing and Ecommerce, Jared Tanner are 100% committed to growing the business, and both of those guys will have your back.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
We spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every SEO job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/ week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard performance marketing job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
Our industry research for this ecommerce job exceeds 60 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Knowledge of SEO techniques and strategies and how to implement them (both on-page and off-page)
- Increase leads generated by natural search traffic to websites (quantity and quality)
- Serve as the company’s “go-to” subject matter expert on the latest SEO/SEM trends and changes
- Develop a linking strategy internal and external to maximize rankings
- Experience optimizing marketing material and copy for improved SEO rankings
- Serve as a subject matter expert and provide guidance to other copy writers
- Develop and deliver training across various functions on best practices to maximize SEO effectiveness
- Develop “best practices” for tech, creative, site merchandising and buying to maximize rankings
- Develop and monitor SEO analytics and reporting package
- Develop, test and report on experiments
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION/ LICENSE CREDENTIALS
- Bachelor Degree in related field or equivalent years of education and experience.
FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES — SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Google Analytics
- Web Analytical Tools
- Content Strategy
- Excellent communication skills
- 3+ years’ experience in house SEO
LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT/ BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
- Ability to conceptualize and think creatively.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship skills, business acumen, integrity, professionalism.
- Ability to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges and obstacles.
- A commitment to an understanding and awareness of dialogue and sensitivities.
- Excites and inspires peak performance from all members of the organization.
- Sets high standards of performance and consistently meets them.
- Optimizes the value of collaboration across the Company; shares ideas and best practices.
- Is highly accessible and communicates seamlessly with employees and executive management.
- Possesses the ability to communicate vision and turn concepts into actionable plans.
- Has the ability to establish credibility and be decisive; makes decisions that recognize and support the organization’s preferences and priorities.
- Possesses a mind-set for continuous improvement accompanied by problem sensitivity and critical thinking skills.
- Strong moral compass: integrity, honesty and teamwork.
- Capacity to lead and inspire others.
- Promote the well-being of those around him/her.
- Foresight, awareness, perception and persuasion.
- Secure, well-grounded individual who possesses integrity and honesty and strives for excellence in all endeavors.
- Strong work ethic.
- Takes full ownership of all deliverables and is personally committed to making sure that all such deliverables are on time and with the appropriate level of analytical rigor and accuracy.
- Strong and active listener with superior oral and written communication skills, as well as the ability to sell ideas and concepts to various constituencies, both internal and external, to the organization.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature.
- Self-motivated and energetic – Community centric.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.