WILMINGTON, NC – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest digital marketing jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with REEDS Jewelers in their search for a world-class Digital Marketing Manager based in beautiful, beachy Wilmington, NC.
Let me start out by saying that we have an absolutely INSANE amount of information on this position. Our market research includes a 2017 diamond industry report from DeBeers (US sales up 4% last year), plus we have reports from First Research and IBIS World as well.
On top of that, the notes from my kickoff call with this role’s hiring manager exceed 10 pages! Applying for this role without this information will be like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
If you are a qualified candidate, this information is yours for the asking.
Now then: REEDS Jewelers is the largest family-owned retail jewelry chain in North America. The firm sells diamonds, watches, and a large selection of fine jewelry from top designers in over 50 retail stores across 18 states as well as online at Reeds.com.
Headquartered in Wilmington, REEDS is a 72-year old company that started selling on the web in 1996. And get this: The company actually accepts Bitcoin (!!) online and in-store. Amazingly, REEDS co-developed the world’s first luxury Android smartwatch with LG Electronics, the LG Urbane Luxe.
Jewelry: There’s still plenty of growth to be had.
While the world is shifting under the feet of luxury marketers, diamond jewelry still represents an $80 billion global market annually. In fact, online jewelry growth in the US is twice that of retail stores. Roughly 10% of all US diamond jewelry (by value) is sold online and 40% of all US jewelry purchases are researched online.
And here’s the thing:
Established brands like REEDS can and are doing very well online because diamonds are nature-made and therefore extremely difficult to standardize. Diamond consumers don’t really know who’s certifying their diamonds: It could be a legitimate high-standard laboratory -OR- a lab with lax standards.
Fact is, all labs use the same terminology for color, cut, and clarity — so it’s critical that consumers rely on trusted brands to help them buy the stones that will commemorate the most important decisions of their lives.
We are looking for a Digital Marketing Manager for REEDS.com
Recently I had the pleasure of recruiting this lady to REEDS as the firm’s new Director of Ecommerce. Honestly, it was one of my most successful placements ever. Kate Goodman is a star: Smart as a whip. Business-oriented. Relatable. Incredible knowledge of direct to consumer ecommerce.
This is my first search to help Kate build out REEDS’ ecommerce team.
Currently, REEDS’ digital marketing programs are very decentralized. REEDS has very well-established programs for paid, owned, and earned media – and your job will be to develop a holistic strategy that better aligns those media …
I hope you like web analytics, because you’ll be mining data to tease out the leading and lagging indicators of success for specific marketing initiatives. Are they making money? How much? How do you know? How can REEDS programmatic initiatives be replicated, scaled and improved? You’ll be expected to review the site’s KPI’s on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis …
… then DO SOMETHING with the data!
Translation: You must be comfortable working with the numbers and with others on the team. Collaboration is critical. Plan on meeting regularly with internal and external resources regarding marketing opportunities, merchandise launches, and brand specific promotional plans. Success in this job will come from developing a channel specific marketing calendar and gaining the buy-in from REEDS’ leadership and advertising teams.
REEDS is a 72-year-old company that acts like a startup in many ways. Ideally, we’d love a rising star who has seen success at a luxury or fashion brand. But what if you don’t have jewelry experience? Is that a deal killer?
Not necessarily, but you’ll need to understand the needs, values, aspirations, and fantasy lives of your customers and have a passion for learning what you won’t know on Day 1.
In the luxury business, you don’t find customers for your products. You find products for your customers. You’re in the relationship business. Your job is to constantly engage your clients’ fantasy lives.
Why would someone ever buy a $5,000 watch? No logical reason if it’s just to know the time. It’s more important than that.
It’s about how such things make us feel about ourselves when we wear them. Your job is to help Reeds’ clients understand that jewelry is a validation of their own significance, a way to recognize life’s moments to remember, and a source of deeper meaning than the product itself.
As usual, we spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every job has these — whether your typical recruiter wants you to know about them or not!
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The top KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Harry Joiner, for this info at (404) 281-2025.
Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least 5 years’ experience in digital marketing and online sales, preferably consumer focused. Luxury or fashion experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated success in ecommerce sales marketing and segmentation management
- Strong familiarity with digital marketing channels
- Leadership experience managing direct reports and indirect resources
- Experience managing and developing third-party service providers
- Experience evaluating, negotiating and implementing new marketing technologies and services
- Financial acumen
- Data-driven analytical approach to decision making
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills and ability to influence and drive decisions
- Excellent collaboration skills in cross-functional teams
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Use Harry [dot] Joiner [at] EcommerceRecruiter [dot] com