KNOXVILLE, TN – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. To invite Harry Joiner to connect on LinkedIn, use Harry.Joiner@EcommerceRecruiter.com
In one of the coolest online retail jobs around, we are working with Jewelry Television in their search for a Senior Director of Digital Media based in Knoxville, TN.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: First things first … Some of the happiest years of my career were 1997-2000, when I lived in Chattanooga, TN — just 2 hours south of Knoxville, home of the University of Tennessee and Jewelry Television (JTV).
It has four distinct yet very pleasant seasons; Smart, friendly (and good looking) people; Incredibly affordable housing; NO state income tax (which is like getting a 7% raise just for moving there); A great business environment; Outstanding schools; Minor-league baseball; A million things to do; And in Knoxville, there’s a brand of college football that feels like a religion.
I’d move my family to Knoxville any day.
Jewelry Television (JTV) is one of the leading retailers of jewelry and gemstones in the United States. Privately-held with a proven 23 year history, JTV leverages an omni-digital retail strategy designed to elevate the customer experience through immersive, digitally-driven touch points. The company’s proprietary technology powers its unique platform which includes broadcasting live programming 24 hours a day, seven days a week to 86 million U.S. households, an industry leading mobile optimized ecommerce platform, and a robust social media presence.
JTV.com is the largest non-bridal jewelry ecommerce website in the country according to Internet Retailer’s Top 500 list for 2016.
The market for jewelry is enormous, and according to First Research, the US jewelry manufacturing industry includes 1600 companies with combined annual revenue of $8 billion. The US jewelry stores industry is even bigger, with 20,000 companies generating a combined revenue of nearly $30 billion. Economic growth and consumer confidence are key drivers, and both of which seems to be in ample supply in today’s economy. As a recruiter who looks at hundreds of deals a year, I love this space.
About the Role
While we have a ridiculous amount of information on JTV.com’s KPI’s, unfortunately I can’t share them here. What I can say is that JTV.com drives a very significant portion of the company’s revenues, and the company is keen to continue investing in JTV.com’s desktop, mobile, tablet, social, and marketing initiatives.
According to Craig Shields, this position’s hiring manager, “This new hire should be a “big ideas” thinker who can lead the firm’s digital strategy, content creation, community management, and digital design and development initiatives.” This role reports to JTV’s VP of Ecommerce and will work closely with senior management, including the Chief Strategy Officer.
In this position, you will be responsible for delivering strategies that result in more (qualified) traffic, higher average order values, and stronger conversion rates. Basically, this job is about moving the needle through paid media, social media, email marketing — and smarter analytics.
It’s that simple.
As usual, we spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every job has these — whether your recruiter wants you to know about them or not!
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The top KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 50 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert for this info at (706) 318-1196.
Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Serve as a team expert in digital analytics spanning Web, Social, OTT, Email and Media
- Manage the big picture strategy and execution of cutting edge social, digital and OTT programs
- Develop and lead fresh creative approaches elevate JTV awareness by leveraging existing platforms, including its extensive broadcast and media presence while expanding into the OTT opportunity
- Develop, communicate, and oversee the strategic plan to build the JTV brand through digital media
- Provide senior-level partnership, counsel and collaboration to the Vice President of Marketing
- Provide insight on emerging trends and social media developments
- Develop strategies to attract new customers with a more diverse demographic profile and improved customer loyalty
- Utilize strong analytical ability to evaluate end-to-end customer experience across multiple channels and customer touch points
- Measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns and assess against goals (ROI and KPIs)
- Evaluate emerging technologies. Provide thought leadership and perspective for adoption where appropriate
- Ensure quality of work and flawless execution
- Identify cutting-edge tools and techniques to help support business objectives, advance storytelling and drive engagement
- Design and implement social media campaigns that integrate with other marketing communications to deliver holistic programming that wins in the marketplace
- Provide insight on how to utilize real-time marketing to create valuable ad sharable content as part of an always-on strategy
- Take broad campaign concepts and strategy and translate them into meaningful, actionable social media operating plans
- Monitor industry trends and best practices ensuring the best possible customer experience
Requirements / Qualifications:
- 8+ years of digital and/or social media marketing leadership experience in retail
- BS/MS degree in marketing or a related field
- Excellent relationship-building skills
- Ability to collaborate and integrate across digital, social media, sales and marketing teams to produce break-through results
- Proven success in driving creative, integrated social/digital campaigns from concept to execution and reporting
- Highly creative with experience in identifying target audiences and devising digital campaigns that engage, inform and motivate
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
- Up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in online marketing and measurement
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing and presenting compelling and business results-focused social media strategy
- Superb execution and management skills; the ability to allocate resources effectively, structure and direct teams to deliver excellent, complex programs on time, on budget with high quality
- Passion and deep knowledge about the social media landscape – demonstrated thought leadership in the space a plus
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.