LOS ANGELES, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with 1-800-DENTIST in their search for a Senior Search Marketing Manager based in Los Angeles, CA. 1-800-DENTIST is America’s leading provider of dental marketing services and software.
This is a fascinating business — and one of the coolest SEM jobs around.
Since 1986, 1-800-DENTIST (owned by Futuredontics) has been dedicated exclusively to dentistry, developing powerful products and resources that help dentists thrive in the digital world. The firm’s flagship product, 1-800-DENTIST, has delivered over 7 million new patient leads to dental practices nationwide. With unlimited live customer support and the largest dental website in North America, 1-800-DENTIST has become an extremely cost effective way for dental practices to grow their patient base year after year.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Remember the last time you moved to a new area and had to find a new dentist? What did you do? Ask a friend for a referral? Look in the phonebook? Google “dentist”? Orphan dental patients are HUGE business, and helping people find a new dentist is what 1-800-DENTIST does best. According to the ADA, there are nearly 175,000 dental practices in the USA, and the competition for new patients is ferocious.
1-800-DENTIST is a dental referral business which also sells websites to their member dentists, along with reputation management tools, reputation monitoring tools, and patient activators (which is a patient communication tool where dentists can manage their email campaigns). The way 1-800-DENTIST makes money on its dental referral service is pretty straightforward: When 1-800-DENTIST delivers a lead to the dentist, it generates revenue. A “lead” is defined as when 1-800-DENTIST matches a patient with a dentist through a transferred phone call.
Your job is to get the dentist’s phone to ring.
As 1-800-DENTIST’ Senior Search Marketing Manager, you’ll be responsible for planning, implementing, optimizing, and analyzing the firm’s SEM initiatives. And you’ll be a key contributor to a small-but-talented marketing team that works together to hit company goals.
You’ll be expected to have a strong general knowledge of online marketing plus a DEEP knowledge of paid search. The role requires an ability to operate on both the strategic and tactical levels, and it touches all aspects of the search marketing landscape, including: keyword management, creation of campaign messaging, bidding strategies, creative testing, analytics, and more.
Your primary responsibility will be to manage 1-800-DENTIST’ paid search campaigns in-house. The firm doesn’t use agencies. Nope, PPC is too important to outsource. 1-800-DENTIST uses a PPC bid management platform, and this role will manage that tool along with that vendor relationship. Because this is paid search, you’ll need a highly analytical bias to the way you make decisions. Paid search is all about the math, and your goal is to reduce 1-800-DENTIST’ costs per click while increasing revenue per click across the board.
On the creative side, you’ll need to be an excellent copywriter, given that you will be writing and testing selling themes, headlines, subheads, ad copy, and calls to action— plus deciding how certain keywords should be grouped. (Both your left brain and your right brain are going to get a workout in this role!)
1-800-DENTIST has a geo-specific business model serving the local dentists, so you need a great grasp of what it takes to win in local SEO and leverage geo-targeting options within the search engines. And not just in Google, which is ever-changing. But Bing, too. As with most jobs in paid search, your typical day will involve examining what worked yesterday (and what didn’t) and tweaking your funnel to improve tomorrow’s outcomes.
But here’s the tricky part:
At 1-800-DENTIST the same keywords can be used at multiple points in the sales funnel. For example, the word dentist could be used to drive AWARENESS as well as ACTION. Most patients use very broad terms to find a new dentist, and user intent is a bit harder to gauge. And although 1-800-DENTIST does have a healthy branded paid search program, you won’t be able to leverage the brand in every instance. Translation: You’ll need to be clever about when and how to leverage the brand in 1-800-DENTIST’ PPC campaigns.
The role is perfect for a smart, process-oriented PPC black belt who understands the search marketing landscape at the local level. 1-800-DENTIST’ marketing team is comprised of some of the smartest lead-gen pros in Los Angeles, and you’ll need to be a NICE, highly competent self-starter to fit in with the team.
If any of this describes you, please apply below! Candidates, be sure to ask us for the intel pack we’ve assembled for this search. It’s a 45-page doozy!
- Business owner of the search marketing channel. Ensure revenue, ROI, and other business goals are met.
- Develop short and long-term PPC account strategies and roadmaps. Execute day-to-day tactics that increase traffic, revenue, and margins.
- Manage the day-to-day search marketing activities across multiple search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN, Bing, etc.) including campaign planning, implementation, keyword bid management, performance monitoring, and optimization of paid search campaigns.
- Forecast and budget.
- Report & analyze on key performance indicators and identify opportunities for improvement on a regular basis.
- Review and optimize keyword coverage, account structure, negative keyword strategies, bidding strategies, ad copy messaging, landing page experience, and conversion flows.
- Design and execute A/B tests on ad copy & landing pages to optimize performance.
- Drive continued innovation and best practice implementation.
- Collaborate with marketing team members to exchange data observations, key learnings and creative ideas.
- Coordinate with Google, Bing, and Yahoo account representatives to stay updated with latest platform improvements and participate in betas.
- Manage relationship with bid management vendor.
- Manage search affiliates.
- Support business development activities.
- Collaborate with paid social media manager to improve business results.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a strong quantitative background.
- 5+ years’ experience managing & optimizing large-scale complex paid search programs.
- Hands-on knowledge of best practices in SEM and a proven track-record of delivering qualified traffic from both an acquisition and conversion standpoint.
- Proficient in designing and executing AB/Multivariate tests on and copy & landing pages required.
- Experience using keyword bid management tools required.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to drive meaningful actions from large data sets.
- Developed critical thinking and communication skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office – especially Excel and PowerPoint. Proficiency in SQL, Business Objects, HTML, and MS Access a plus.
- Fundamental knowledge and experience with web analytical tools, i.e. Adobe SiteCatalyst, Coremetrics, Webtrends, Google Analytics.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment, with an eagerness to consistently exceed objectives and improve processes.
- Takes accountability and ownership of his/her own work.
- Google Adwords certification is a plus.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.