FARGO, ND – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest ecommerce marketing jobs around!
We are working with SCHEELS in their search for a Director of Ecommerce based in Fargo, North Dakota. Ever heard of SCHEELS? Me neither (I live in the south), but the firm has a wonderful business and a great reputation. Founded in 1902, SCHEELS has elevated shopping for sporting goods into an art form …
SCHEELS’ stores offer a complete shopping experience: SCHEELS’ associates are the best trained in the industry and its stores offer consumers something for every hobby, passion, and sport imaginable. Do you need your bow tuned? Are your skates dull? Does your tennis racket sag? Is your bike in disrepair? Well, head on over to SCHEELS …
… because there’s only so much fun you can have surfing the web!
In addition to offering repair and service shops, your kids will dig SCHEELS’ wide range of games and simulators — not to mention the fudge shop and 65-foot Ferris wheel. From the high-end fashion boutique to the massive fishing center, every member of the family can find an excuse to visit SCHEELS.
SCHEELS isn’t just a store. It’s a destination.
Scheels is currently seeking a Director of eCommerce to provide strategic ecommerce leadership to build Scheels.com into an online shopping destination that meets the same high expectations of shopping in our stores. This individual will also provide leadership to the web development, merchandising, and fulfillment teams located at the Corporate Offices in Fargo, ND.
About the Role
Currently, Scheels’ ecommerce business is only a small fraction of what the company expects it to be in the future, and the firm has invested in some world-class platforms (such as IBM Commerce) to power their ecommerce business. To succeed in this role, you’ll need highly developed technical skills to manage the back-of-screen aspects of a growing ecommerce business. Meaning, Scheels needs in this role more of a marketing-oriented-technologist than a technology oriented marketer.
Additionally, you’ll need a well-honed appreciation of merchandising on an “open to buy” system plus a long track record of success in positions of leadership. You’ll have 25-30 members on your ecommerce team, and this will be a very high visibility role both internally and externally; both up and down the organization. Scheels fulfills its ecommerce orders through store inventory and merchandises more than 500K SKUs online. It’s a fantastic company — but you’ll be expected to both educate and excite others on the possibilities of multichannel ecommerce.
As always, I spent more than 60 mins on the phone with Scheels’ hiring manager capturing detailed intel on this search such as the top 5 problems that exist due to the position being open — plus — this role’s 100 day key performance milestones. My market research for this industry exceeds 50 pages! Lots of great stuff here.
If you’d like to take your ecommerce career to the next level in a world-class organization with a devoutly Christian culture, please text me at 404-281-2025. Alternatively, please apply below.
- Identify and communicate business needs based off analysis for improved website functionality and enhanced customer experience to dramatically grow the business
- Identify, recommend, and execute strategies and initiatives to drive significant increased website traffic, conversion rates, revenue and profitability leveraging analytics through A/B testing
- Translate the vision of a Scheels store to Scheels.com and execute strategies that lead our ecommerce business towards the same vision.
- Coordinate the fulfillment of ecommerce orders from the network of brick and mortar Scheels locations.
- Lead Scheels.com optimization for search engines: manage link profiles, website content, and site architecture
- Utilize website usability methods to develop and maintain brand merchandising standards and increase total conversion
- Research and develop mobile design solutions, including apps, as well as responsive and adaptive web sites
- Determine key performance metrics and incorporate them in the ecommerce user experience design and processes
- Lead & develop a high performance team of over 20 individuals through training, coaching, and direct supervision
- Complete associate evaluations while empowering them in their career advancement
- Drive innovation and execution throughout the ecommerce team by establishing high expectations for quality, efficiency, and customer service.
- Build cross-functional relationships with the Marketing, Line Leader, and IT teams to ensure alignment of ecommerce initiatives.
- Navigate technical and content issues and overcome challenges while maintaining good relationships with vendors and teams
- Review and assess new and emerging compliance and regulatory issues to ensure policies and programs address changing needs in our ecommerce business
- Lead business analysis of all systems to ensure they meet the expectations of long term ecommerce strategies
- Negotiate vendor contracts, rate and service level agreements for all ecommerce initiatives
- Manage ecommerce budget by tracking expenses, coordinating accounts payables, comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts.
- Strong skills in strategy and planning, merchandising and marketing, and vendor selection and management
- Ability to learn quickly and apply “best practices” to both process and technology solutions to drive ecommerce strategies
- Strong decision making skills with a track record of leading multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for communicating effectively with technical and non-technical individuals
- Proven leadership skills derived from having direct responsibility for building and leading a cohesive, high-performing team
- Strong drive for continuous improvement and flexibility in a changing work environment
- Knowledge of IT security and regulatory compliance
- Frontend customer experience focused on acquiring and retaining customers
- Backend integration experience between systems
- Well versed with web analytics research tools/processes and distilling conversion drivers from user behavior research
- Ability to work assigned schedule which may include varied hours; evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Able to lift or move up to 20 lbs.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in business management, computer science, or related degree or equivalent experience is required
- 7+ years relevant experience in progressively responsible roles including development, implementation, and project management of various ecommerce systems across multiple software platforms
- 5-7 years of experience managing teams
- Employee Stock Ownership Program
- Associate Discount
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Wellness Program & Incentives
- Short Term & Long Term Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Time Off
- Holiday Pay
- 401(k) / Roth(k)
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Bereavement Leave
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.