ATLANTA, GA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest Atlanta ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with KEH Camera in their search for a Manager of Online Marketing and Ecommerce Marketplaces based in metro Atlanta, Georgia — just down the road from SunTrust Park, the brand new home of the Atlanta Braves.
With an inventory of more than 65,000 items, KEH Camera is world’s largest online retailer of pre-owned, high-end photographic equipment, leveraging a pure ecommerce / Online D2C model. Over its 30+year history, KEH has evolved into a destination ecommerce platform for photography enthusiasts and professionals to buy and sell used equipment of leading international brands such as Nikon, Canon, Sony, Leica, and Hasselblad.
KEH is considered a mid-sized online retailer just large enough to make Internet Retailer’s Top 500. However, the firm is majority owned by a NYC-based private equity firm that’s making a substantial investment in accelerating KEH’s growth, and this role is a reflection of that goal. Professionals and amateurs alike trust KEH’s inspection and grading system, which ensures customers get exactly what they ordered with no surprises. And the firm’s proprietary selling system provides instant quotes, free shipping, and fast payment.
Now then: If you think no one uses great photo gear anymore, you’re WRONG.
Last September, The Atlantic ran an article claiming that there are nearly 1 billion websites on the internet. (Thanks, Al Gore!) It’s a pretty safe bet that most of those sites have photos. Right? And those photos didn’t just snap themselves, did they? No! Photographers — professional and otherwise — took them.
As anyone who’s used Instagram knows, great photography is ADDICTIVE.
Imagine going to a wedding and the professional photographer is using an iPhone. Clearly, that wouldn’t work. Tech writer Geoffrey Fowler explains, “Phone cameras have made photography everyone’s hobby. But pictures taken with first-rate gear tell stories. Good cameras capture drama in low light and can zoom into the action. The details are crisp, and the backgrounds are soft, so your eye knows just where to look. There’s no arguing that smartphones are the most convenient way to capture spontaneous moments — but dedicated cameras have the potential for a resurgence among the legions who have gotten hooked on photography and now want their shots to look better.”
He’s right, of course.
Consider the difference between Phones and digital single-lens reflex cameras (called “DSLRs”), which combine the optics and the mechanisms of a single-lens reflex camera with a digital imaging sensor, as opposed to photographic film. That difference creates opportunities for companies like KEH, who observe a trend for social- and mobile-first Millennials to buy used / discounted items — meaning, there’s real potential to get them to pick up a pre-owned DSLR in addition to their phone.
KEH is in the business of helping photographers of all occupations and skill levels take their game to the next level. In particular, KEH caters to the needs of value oriented photogs who refuse to pay a premium for brand new equipment. The company has 15 experts on staff who test, grade, and appraise each piece of gear the company handles — and its grading system is so thorough that it has become an industry standard of sorts.
For now, the typical KEH customer is an entrepreneur who’s owns a small- (or micro-business) for which good photography is essential to what it does. (These are the same types of folks served by companies like Wix and GoDaddy, btw.) Most of KEH’s customers are male — but there’s an opportunity to appeal to female buyers, too. Average order value is in the (very solid) triple digits, and most of KEH’s customers will buy from the firm again.
About the Role
KEH seeks a sharp, business-oriented Online Marketing Manager to provide in-depth analysis of its customer acquisition programs across all digital channels including SEO, SEM, Display, PPC, Social Media, Mobile and Third-party Marketplaces. The firm’s VP of Ecommerce will divvy tasks across the team depending on the new hire’s strengths and preferences, but the new hire can expect to work closely with KEH’s marketing leadership to help develop targeted, segmented customer acquisition programs and to optimize channels to increase ROI and develop more direct relationships with the firm’s customers.
Can you handle that?
You’ll be partially responsible for the day-to-day management of the marketplace channel in Amazon, Walmart and eBay. Meaning, you’ll be working with external account management teams, gathering and analyzing data from various sources — and developing recommendations for course of action. Additionally, you will be assisting with strategic planning, forecasting and improving processes. You’ll need to be strategic, analytical, organized and detail-oriented.
KEH’s marketing department didn’t exist just three years ago, so this role will be a goldmine of opportunity for rising stars looking to make their mark on the company. Yoube able to attain a high-level of responsibility without too much red-tape, and KEH’s culture offers a good blend of entrepreneurialism balanced with steady cash flow of a larger company / equity fund.
As usual, my team and I spent two hours on the phone with KEH’s hiring manager teasing out exactly what the new Director must do to “win” in the role. I’m happy to discuss everything I’ve heard, seen, and researched about those things with qualified candidates. You definitely don’t want to apply without this intel, so let me hook you up.
Simply TEXT [your name + “KEH”] to me at (404) 281-2025. Or simply apply online below. Either way, I look forward to chatting with you!
Responsibilities: This role will involve working with KEH’s Marketing, Merchandising and Creative teams in …
- Driving financial metrics across marketing channels (e.g. Affiliate Marketing, Marketplaces, Shopping Comparison Sites, etc); as well as leveraging existing relationship (e.g. Channel Advisor)
- Analyzing information and making educated decisions to improve customer online shopping experience (images, taxonomy, search, navigation, etc)
- Managing outbound email marketing campaigns using analytics to improve effectiveness (Bronto ESP experience a plus)
- Leading paid search and affiliate marketing initiatives (e.g. SEM, retargeting, display Ad networks, etc); Rakuten / Linkshare experience a plus
- Improving KEH’s traction visa vis organic search optimization (e.g. SEO)
- Suggesting improvements in 3rd party Marketplaces (eBay, Amazon, etc). Improvement may include price changes to maximize margins, increasing quantity / quality of product postings, ensuring in-stock levels, modifying shipping policies and improving customer service ratings on each platform
- Helping manage KEH’s social media sites, such as Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, and more. (Knowledge of HootSuite or similar solution is helpful.)
- Analyzing effectiveness of marketing programs, customer segmentation KPIs, website performance and present weekly action-driven plan to impact those drivers
- Reviewing competitors on a regular basis to understand if there are best practices to swipe (design, marketplace designs, promos, emails, etc)
- Developing new / innovative ways of growing sales (e.g. new marketing initiatives, new categories to consider, etc)
- Assisting team in maintaining and improving relationships with partners and vendors
- Setting an example as a customer advocate. KEH’s goal is to raise the bar in digital shopping by helping customers capture their lives’ moments at a more affordable price.
- Assisting in the personal and professional growth of KEH’s online marketing team
- 3-5 years of professional experience in a marketing and/or business analysis role (eg, online marketing, strategic planning, strategic consulting, etc)
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Advertising, Strategy or related field preferred
- GPA required is 3.3 (resumes without GPA or standardized test scores will not be reviewed)
- Direct or indirect management of a small marketing team preferred (e.g. strong leadership abilities)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office preferred (PowerPoint and Excel)
- Detail-oriented, persistent follow-up and an ability to juggle shifting priorities
- An understanding of mobile media, affiliate marketing, display media, native advertising and the Facebook advertising platform
- Strong background in SEO and Organic Search preferred
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills with an ability to tailor analysis to specific circumstances (e.g. familiarity with Google Analytics, A/B testing and other online analytics tools that work with Magento)
- Self-starter who demonstrates strong initiative, sense of urgency, and intellectual curiosity with an eye to identifying opportunities to improve the business
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects while maintaining attention to detail (strong project management skills)
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Comfortable interacting with all levels of employees, including presenting to and supporting senior management
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. You can now TEXT Harry for more info at (404) 281-2025. Or to apply on your desktop, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.