SEATTLE, WA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest VP Marketing jobs around!
We are working with Tommy Bahama in their search for a VP of Direct to Consumer Marketing based in Seattle, WA. This is a terrifically cool gig.
Tommy Bahama defines relaxed, sophisticated, island-inspired living, with a complete collection of men’s and women’s sportswear, denim, swimwear, accessories, a complete home collection and restaurants. Tommy Bahama is looking for a qualified VP of Direct to Consumer Marketing to join its efforts to create an island lifestyle that inspires the world to relax.
The VP will provide direction and leadership through all Direct to Consumer Marketing Channels, including CRM & Loyalty, Promotions and Catalogs. The Director of Consumer Marketing will ensure that all programs are aligned and on brand through the development, integration and implementation of marketing programs/plans.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: It’s funny. Have you ever known a company or brand that people just seem to love, even though they might not know that much about it? Sure, everyone loves Google, but everyone uses Google. I know people who think they love Tommy Bahama even though they’ve never actually been in a Tommy Bahama store or restaurant, which by the way, I understand are a lot of fun.
It’s just something about the “island vibe.” Tommy Bahama stands for a relaxed lifestyle, and seriously: What’s not to like about that?
As I started trying to wrap my brain around what makes this brand so great, I came to understand why Oxford Industries, Tommy’s parent company, loves Tommy Bahama so much. But don’t take my word for it. Here’s a video featuring Oxford’s CEO, Thomas Chubb, breaking it down for you …
He seems like a very competent and likable guy, doesn’t he?
And here’s the thing: While searching in Galileo, I managed to find several 2012-2013 articles from Women’s Wear Daily about the strength of Oxford’s relationship with Tommy Bahama. One of the articles was called “Lessons in Good Parenting,” which roundly praised Oxford’s stewardship of Tommy Bahama as “a model for buyer-seller relationships” in the apparel business. How rare! When’s the last time you read a 1,400 word feature article about an acquisition that went right?
So, as Tommy Bahama’s new VP of Direct to Consumer Marketing, these are the kinds of people you’ll be working with. The WWD articles (plus several excellent reports on the company from MarketLine) are included in this search’s intel pack. Be sure to request that when you apply below.
Two things before I let you go:
- Because I’m not the only recruiter on this search, I’m not at liberty to discuss the top 5 problems that exist due to this position being open; the 180 day key objectives for the new hire; the number of direct reports; and so forth. But fear not: I had a very productive intake call with the client, and I can step you through everything you want to know. Just hit me up below.
- While foraging for a YouTube video for this post, I discovered a 2013 episode of the AMC reality TV show, The Pitch, in which two California advertising agencies, Pasadena Advertising and Neuron Syndicate, competed to win Tommy Bahama’s business. How convenient! But alas, the episode costs $1.99 to view, so I couldn’t include it here. Still, you’d be crazy to apply and not invest 45 minutes watching this show. Click here now.
KEY RESULTS AREAS
- Work closely with eCommerce team to ensure multi-channel messaging and strategy is consistently carried through website and email marketing.
- Catalog Development: work with internal partner to drive the development and media optimization across business channels.
- Oversee performance reporting of marketing initiatives and relative effectiveness.
- Align marketing initiatives and messaging across all consumer touch points.
- Market Research: Oversee and summarize regular consumer tracking studies as well as ad-hoc qualitative and quantitative consumer market research.
- Lead consumer marketing committee providing data points and trends to assist in decisions on new and existing initiatives.
- Work closely with brand marketing to ensure implementation of consistent messaging from brand initiatives, social media and public relations.
- Development and implementation of in store/restaurant programs, initiatives and campaigns that drive qualified traffic for incremental revenue.
- Oversee Loyalty Program development, application and execution.
- Supervise Direct Mail Program and coordinate with other marketing activities.
- Work directly with internal partner and PR to link campaigns and relevant opportunities.
- Creates Annual Plan with internal partners.
EXPERIENCE, TALENT AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field (MBA in Marketing preferred)
- 10+ years’ experience in Marketing or related field preferably with a national vertical retailer
- Superior qualitative and quantitative analytical capabilities, with an outstanding body of work demonstrating high quality, innovative deliverables and an exceptional understanding of consumer behavior.
- 7+ years direct project management coordinating/managing multiple projects at the same time.
- Minimum of 5+ years working within a retail environment identifying marketing initiatives where success is measured, in part, through positive sales growth.
- 5+ years of experience working with CRM data tools and research methodology.
- 5+ years of experience working within an eCommerce-enabled website environment, developing campaigns and strategies to drive both traffic and sales.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects and set priorities for a team of managers and individual contributors.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the creative and messaging process.
- Ability to manage and lead large cross functional teams as well as direct report relationships.
- Strategic thinking combined with strict attention to tactical details and execution.
- A keen knowledge of innovative direct marketing techniques and approaches using industry best practices, including emerging channels like social media and mobile.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, analytical and strategic thinking skills.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in making decisions.
- Ability to solve problems and to keep internal partners informed and to ensure partners are prepared for marketing initiatives.
- Strong leadership skills.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Wendy Weber. To apply, email Wendy.