ALISO VIEJO, CA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Rakuten in their search for a Director of User Experience UX / UI based in Aliso Viejo, CA. This is a terrifically cool ecommerce job.
Rakuten.com is one of the world’s largest online retailers, consistently ranking in the top three eretailers across the globe and delivering its innovative shopping experience to more than 18 million customers. Rakuten is a global company, but are based locally in Orange County (Aliso Viejo, to be exact). Rakuten has been perfecting its business model for over 15 years and are looking for passionate, inspired, dedicated, fun, and results-oriented people who can help them take Rakuten’s business to the next level.
One of the coolest UX jobs around!
Under the General Supervision of the Chief Operations Officer, the Director of User Experience is responsible for building and leading a team that develops best in-class user experiences in an agile development environment, ensuring that the Rakuten digital experiences are as efficient and effortless as possible. This position is also responsible for the overall strategic direction of the web channel and on-site technology roadmap.
The Director manages a team of online professionals driving on-site conversion, site experience and online merchandising. The Director and their team will lead multiple disciplines within UX that include research, visual design and front-end development, to deliver product hand-in-hand with product management and engineering. This position has direct ownership of the site finances and day-to-day metrics. This position will work closely with the Marketing, IT department, Product Management and User Experience, and Finance.
- Plan and execute the overall on-site experience strategy for Rakuten.com.
- Lead, motivate and mentor the on-site team with an eye on conversion and site experience.
- Drive the full cycle of design, planning and execution of all digital and mobile customer experiences.
- Develop and implement short and long term strategies to increase website traffic, conversion, AOV, profitability and reduce cart abandonment.
- Partner with the Online Marketing team to ensure the proper support and traffic generation is in place
- Optimize site design to promote a seamless customer experience and increase customer conversion
- Explore, define and implement innovative on-site solutions and tactics to drive site traffic, acquire new customers and retain current customers
- Manage 3rdParty relationships and programs that add features and capabilities that support the Ecommerce strategy
- Manage an annual expense budget and sales forecast. Work closely with the Online Marketing team to explore and develop new lead generation initiatives and emerging channels
- Work closely with product management, engineering, visual design & user research to translate business needs into optimal customer experiences.
- Develop and lead a content strategy to support conversion and traffic/customer acquisition goals
- Partner with the Online Marketing team to ensure all promotions and events are fully supported
- Oversee and direct onsite merchandising and work closely with the Web Merchandising team to merchandise the site and promote product launches
- 4 year degree required in visual/graphic design, HCI, interaction design, or related field. MBA preferred.
- Advanced understanding of online UX/UI, online marketing principles and strategy
- Intermediate knowledge of ecommerce platforms, back-end processes and IT technology and systems required
- 7+ years of increasing experience managing an online business, including managing strategy development, content acquisition, and/or website development
- 7+ years of experience in product, web, mobile, interaction design
- 5+ years successfully managing design teams
- Deep expertise in e-Commerce & retail experience design.
- Demonstrated ability to create, articulate and execute UXD strategies that reinforce and advance the Rakuten brand promise of merchant empowerment and shopping as entertainment.
- Proven ability to create & execute design strategies for speed and simplicity.
- Proven experience with rapid, iterative design and development processes
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal, negotiation and presentation skills are requiredHighly collaborative with demonstrated successful interactions with internal parties and vendor partners
- Ability to prioritize, plan and lead web initiatives and projects
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability leading persuasive presentations to senior management
- Leadership and strategic direction in the areas of Ecommerce across the organization
- Experience with sales growth in a fast paced online environment
- Budget and sales forecasting experience
If you can handle working side-by-side with an extremely entrepreneurial team of leaders and peers, and are looking to put your innovative ideas to use in an environment where you can immediately see the fruits of your labor – this is the place for you.
What’s in it for you??
Rakuten offers an industry-leading benefit package, with a very low out-of-pocket cost to you for medical insurance. Additionally, you’ll get a company-paid Vision and Dental benefit plan where Rakuten pays your bi-weekly contributions for you. (I rarely see that.) The client offers a ridiculously generous time off package, including holidays, vacation time, sick time, flexible holidays, personal days, and your birthday off as well (all paid, btw). There are company-provided lunches twice a week — all paid for by the company — and the meals come from …
- In-N-Out truck coming on-site once a month,
- Sushi once a month
- Ice Cream once a month
- Bagel Mondays
- … and more.
Beyond that, Rakuten offers an ultra-casual dress code and discounts on all of Rakuten’s online retail items. What are you waiting for? Apply below!
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.