DALLAS, TEXAS – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
We are working with Freeman in their search for a Sr. Manager, eCommerce Analytics based at their company headquarters in Dallas, Texas. It’s one of the coolest Dallas ecommerce jobs around.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Have you ever been to IRCE, the ecommerce industry’s Super Bowl of trade shows? It’s an amazing spectacle. The event is organized by IR Events Group, a division of GLM, who charges vendors like EcommerceRecruiter.com several thousand dollars to exhibit on the show’s floor.
IR Events Group, in turn, retains a company like Freeman to manage the events logistics, including Audio Visual Solutions; Creative Development; Electrical Services; Exhibit Fabrication; and more. A complete list of Freeman’s event product and service offerings can be seen here.
It’s a very big business.
Companies in this industry organize, manage, operate, and promote trade shows, conventions, conferences, and meetings. The US trade show and event planning industry includes about 4,500 companies with combined annual revenue of about $10 billion. Demand is driven by overall economic activity and corporate profits. The profitability of individual companies depends on managing costs, marketing shows effectively, and retaining valuable staff.
Large companies have advantages of multiple locations and economies of scale in negotiating labor, transportation, and supply contracts. Small companies compete successfully by delivering superior customer service that drives repeat business. The industry is fragmented: the top 50 companies generate about 45 percent of revenue.
Freeman is one of this industry’s top players.
Each year, Freeman helps companies prepare for more than 4500 tradeshows and events. The firm has a $128 million online business and processed more than 150,000 orders last year.
Freeman has two primary customers:
- Show organizers: Either trade and industry associations (or companies that put these events on behalf of associations), AND …
- Exhibitors: The companies who participate in these shows.
Naturally, both a show’s organizers and its exhibitors want the show to be a success.
About the Role:
Freeman is looking for an individual that gets excited about the power of Big Data. Reporting to the Vice President-Freeman Technology Suite, you’ll be an important part of the product development team by leveraging Freeman’s expertise in data analytics to help drive incremental sales, improve Freeman’s upsell / cross-sell results and improve the user experience while shopping on Freeman Online – the firm’s fully integrated platform of powerful applications designed to simplify event planning and enhance the face-to-face experience for Freeman’s customers.
Basically, this role is a marriage of web analytics and online merchandising. At a high-level, you’ll need to understand where Freeman’s visitors are coming from, how they’re using the site, and what issues are preventing them from buying more online. Then, you’ll need to use those findings to recommend changes in either Freeman’s merchandise mix or how products and services are offered to Freeman’s clients.
For example, if EcommerceRecruiter.com is exhibiting at IRCE and we are already registered with Freeman Online to take advantage of IRCE’s event support services, then it would make sense for us to buy or lease everything we need for the show from Freeman: Carpet, cables, tables, chairs, audiovisual equipment, water, whatever. It’s all on Freeman Online, and it can all be delivered to our booth when we need it.
Freeman Online is basically a convenience store for the registered exhibitors of 4500 trade shows, and the company seeks to use analytics to better understand the needs of the marketplace so that it can respond to them.
As the Senior Manager of Ecommerce Analytics, you will be responsible for providing strategic and tactical data analytics expertise for Freeman’s team with a focus on driving improvements to overall customer spend, converting cross-sell/up-sell opportunities into real dollars. An understanding of product margins and how to maximize profit through the use of analytics, product recommendations, product promotions and expertise in on-line shopping behavior will be a major key to success.
In addition, you will drive continuous optimization and innovation of Freeman’s applications, using all available analytics tools, collaboration with other key members of the ecom team, lines of business and Freeman’s customers to ensure objectives are met. Naturally, you must be a self-starter with great problem solving and time-management skills, as well as enjoy working in an extremely fast-paced, flexible environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a world-class analyst to have a material impact on a big business.
FreemanCo is leaving millions of dollars on the table because it is not telling exhibitors that they could upgrade their carpet or AV equipment, or they should be using Freeman’s shipping services which will save them money, etc. This is all about cross selling products and services to hot, registered, qualified buyers who have a legitimate need and simply do not know what’s available to them.
For example, Freeman has a subsidiary, Freeman AV, which is not prominently displayed on the site. Exhibitors would love to understand why it makes sense to have Freeman AV supply them with their audiovisual equipment, which FreemanCo would then simply add to the client’s running tab, which the client could then settle up on one invoice. This simplifies the exhibitor’s life – plus it sets them up for success at the event.
And let’s face it: If the exhibitor has a great show, she’ll tell the organizer, which strengthens Freeman’s relationship with the organizer and improves the odds that Freeman will be contracted next year for its event support services. All organizers want to have a successful event, and to the extent that Freeman can remove pain from the exhibitors process, it’s a win, win, win for everyone.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the economics of the products and services Freeman sells to maximize profitability
- Collaboration with other key members of ecommerce team to drive continual and incremental improvements in utilization, upsell/cross-sell, overall spend and user experience.
- Provide marketing perspective and participate in the development and prioritization of business requirements for new online initiatives (including cross-sell/upsell, A/B testing and marketing promotions)
- Manage relationships with the lines of business to maximize opportunities and drive growth (including product recommendations, product promotions and user experience)
- Oversee creation of analytics dashboards to measure and analyze all online activities
- Analyze customer behavior via web analytics, surveys, social media and ratings and reviews to help develop new promotions and programs
- Turn analytics into results
- Recognize and react to opportunities for improvement
- Assist with User Acceptance Testing and the development of new website initiatives
- Develop, set-up, test, execute and analyze results of promotional marketing campaigns
- Manage direct relationships with key web portals (Google).
- Develop and manage online specific budgets for web initiatives.
- Perform other duties as assigned
FREEMAN’S FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES:
- Adaptability – Effectively adapts and to changing work environments. Remains flexible in spite of adversity. Embraces change from current environment to desired future state. Adapts effectively to changing technology and changing job demands.
- Resourcefulness – Takes steps to improve processes, correct errors, and expand overall products or services in order to meet the customer’s changing needs. Strives for continuous improvement and ultimately perfection by identifying opportunities and accessing risks. Supports an environment that is conducive to change and fosters a free exchange of ideas to improve processes.
- Customer Focus – Provides excellent customer service to clients, vendors, and/or fellow Freeman employees. Responds promptly, professionally, effectively, and efficiently to internal and external customer needs. Manages difficult or emotional situations. Recognizes sense of urgency in responding to needs. Follows up to ensure requests, needs, and commitments are met are met consistently. Displays an attitude of friendliness and service towards Freeman’s stakeholders and a willingness to make the extra effort to satisfy their needs.
- Dependability – Meets deadlines and commitments to ensure the job gets done. Consistently completes assignments in an accurate and timely fashion. Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Demonstrates ability to work independently. Meets deadlines and performs at expected level in typical circumstances as well as unexpected circumstances.
- Ethics – Exemplifies and integrates Freeman’s code of ethics into all aspects of management. Supports and upholds the organization’s standards and values. Demonstrates honesty, reliability, and professionalism. Maintains the highest ethical standards in Company policy and employee conduct. Discourages violation of ethical conduct. Ensures sensitive information remains confidential.
KEY LEADERSHIP ATTRIBUTES:
- Business Acumen – Understands industry and overall business operations. Understands the business implications of decisions. Aligns team’s work to support strategic goals and initiatives. Sets goals and manages priorities and expectations.
- Communications – Expresses thoughts clearly, accurately, and precisely both verbally and in writing. Demonstrates good listening skills. Reacts appropriately while listening and understanding the views of others. Encourages open communication. Negotiates effectively with difficult people. Demonstrates a willingness to change approach based on feedback. Helps others see a different point of view.
- Decision-Making – Makes sound and practical decisions by considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions and all related requirements. Works effectively when dealing with unclear situations.
- Diversity – Commits to building an inclusive workforce of unique employees that are empowered to make valuable contributions while reaching their fullest potential. Creates and maintains a professional and successful environment where differences are respected and the skills and abilities of diverse individuals are valued.
- Drive to Perform – Identifies and accomplishes challenging objectives or personal goals. Works effectively with others to achieve goals. Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities. Maintains a high level of interest, enthusiasm and personal performance. Helps others achieve their personal performance standards. Accurately accesses and communicates performance strengths and weaknesses. Has demonstrated a self-starter and self-motivated work attitude. Seeks additional work when available.
- Financial Acumen – Identifies and implements appropriate cost control measures. Proactively manages and maintains an acceptable P&L for the function, department, or branch. Develops realistic and accurate financial projections. Operates within approved capital expenditures budget. Analyzes financial reporting to ensure budgetary success of function, department, or branch. Maintain an understanding of appropriate financial systems and processes. Chooses the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem. Creates and interprets graphs, tables, and formulas.
- Innovation – Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets other’s attention. Champions quality work and takes steps to correct errors or improve overall products/services. Drives continuous improvement by identifying opportunities and assessing risks. Supports an environment that is conducive to change and fosters the free exchange of ideas.
- Leadership – Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to guide individuals or groups toward achieving results. Inspires commitment to the company, their services, and future success. Seeks opportunities to share resources and reduce redundancies across team. Ensures team is adequately trained and has on-going developmental opportunities. Serves as a role model for employees. Empowers employees to make work related decisions. Motivates employees to achieve their work goals.
- Planning and Implementing – Plans and implements work according to appropriate timelines. Juggles priorities and manages multiple priorities within allotted timelines by prioritizing work appropriately. Adjusts actions, schedules, or timelines in relation to internal or external pressures and forces. Meets personal deadlines and follows up with others to ensure their deadlines are met satisfactorily. Understands and considers big picture issues when developing timelines.
- Relationship Building / Teamwork – Facilitates a positive and productive team oriented environment. Encourages open communication/feedback within the team. Minimizes conflict and builds collaboration to maintain productive team. Treats people with honesty and respect. Maintains positive relations with employees at all levels.
- Critical Thinking – Uses logic and reasoning to analyze and resolve problems. Takes appropriate and timely action to achieve desired business results within assigned scope. Considers alternatives before making decisions. Generates creative solutions.
- Job Knowledge – Uses in depth knowledge of concepts, principles, and procedures and applies them to varied and complex situations within assigned scope. Uses available resources to meet job demands.
- Management Skills – Motivates, mentors, and develops a diverse workforce and provides an environment that is conducive to achievement and growth. Makes difficult and occasionally unpopular decisions after considering impact.
- Persuasiveness / Negotiating – Promotes decision making within team and empowers team to remedy issues as they occur.
- Presentation Skills – Creates and/or presents training materials to their teams as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree Preferred
- 10+ Years working in best in class companies where e-commerce and on-line ordering is a primary channel
- Passion for data and online shopping behaviors
- Proficient in the use of analytics tools including Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, and other best in class tools as well as proficiency in the use of MS Excel and pivot tables
- Able to analyze data and develop actionable strategies
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects across cross-functional teams
- Strong leadership skills and strategic minded with the ability to flourish in a matrix organization
- Highly detail oriented and organized
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science Required
- Master’s Degree Preferred
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)