MEDFORD, OR – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To subscribe to our searches, click here. Alternatively, follow EcommerceJobs on Twitter. To add your resume to our confidential database, click here. To like us on FB, please click here.
We are working with Harry and David in their search for a Director of Online Marketing, in Medford, OR.
Harry & David is one of the nation’s premier direct marketing and ecommerce companies. Harry and David’s gourmet fruit and food gifts have been trusted by generations, not only for superior products, but for unparalleled customer service and impeccable guarantees.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: A couple of years ago Rocky Hansler was kind enough to give my team a Harry and David Fruit-of-the-Month subscription as a thank you for placing him with one of our clients. The product was so delicious that I actually did a Facebook update featuring a picture of a shipment of nectarines we received one month.
I’ve always agreed with Jerry Seinfeld that “fruit’s a gamble.” Having been in the food business during the 1990s, I know what a challenge it is to inventory and ship fresh fruit direct to a consumer’s door. There are a million ways that food can spoil when it travels from farm to fork.
But Harry and David’s product was delicious, and it was a wonderful reflection on Rocky all year long. And they don’t confine their efforts to just fruit. See for yourself …
Harry and David has food figured out, and they’re top notch marketers as well. The company has a long tradition of successfully selling through its print ads, catalogs, and call center – and its website has been in the Internet Retailer Top 500 since the guide’s inception. With $175 million in 2010 online sales, Harry and David isn’t resting on its laurels.
Ecommerce transformation continues to be a major issue for the company, and as part of that transformation, Harry and David seeks a new Director of Online Marketing to drive its online customer acquisition efforts. It’s a big role, with nine people reporting to this position, including program managers for email, search, affiliate, and on-site marketing. In all, Harry and David’s ecommerce team includes 40 people across marketing and operations.
Harry and David is a very collaborative company, and the client seeks someone who can get in the weeds and actually do the work while collaborating across multiple functions, including IT, merchandising, and procurement.
Key results areas for this position include affiliate marketing, comparison shopping engines and online marketplaces, display advertising, e-mail marketing, organic and paid search marketing, and mobile commerce including tablets.
The company will expect the new Director to develop a vision for how it can transform its acquisition marketing to best in class. The client expects this to be a multistep process, and it plans to take a hard look at every aspect of its acquisition piece.
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
The Director, Online Marketing will be a key leader in the Harry & David marketing organization, responsible for overseeing all online programs (SEM/SEO, Display, Email, Affiliate, CSE, Social, Mobile/Tablet) as well as site marketing efforts.
The person in this role will be accountable for delivering against aggressive traffic, conversion, revenue, and margin goals. (S)he will draw upon a deep understanding of ecommerce and direct marketing principles and best practices to drive growth from our most important storefront. The person will have an analytic mindset, leverage data to develop strategy and draw insights, and will be responsible for managing a team of nine online marketing professionals.
- Overall accountability for driving traffic, conversion, and revenue on all company websites.
- Develops marketing strategy and accompanying financial plans in accordance with overall business calendar.
- Executes tactical marketing plans in close coordination with broader business in order to maximize performance against identified key performance indicators.
- Constantly analyzes program and site performance to identify opportunities for growth and improvement.
- Employs test and learn techniques to optimize performance of site and key programs.
- Reports on program performance / status to marketing and company executives.
- Partners with site development/operations to identify key enhancements and improvements for website.
- Owns vendor relationships with key online marketing partners.
- Partners with customer marketing team to leverage CRM data in online marketing programs.
- Develops and manages a team of online marketing professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA preferred) or equivalent experience
- 8+ years experience with website marketing, preferably for a multichannel retailer
- 5+ years marketing program ownership
- Experience launching new marketing channels / initiatives from the ground up
- Strong knowledge of the ecommerce technology landscape – deep industry knowledge and industry contacts
- Self starter with high degree of analytic curiosity – ability to turn results/data into actionable recommendations
- Excellent organization skills, with the ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast paced environment and consistently meet deadlines with accurate and detailed results
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact effectively from the executive level through to end users and technical resources
- Collaborative team player able to effectively build consensus around program vision, and drive initiatives to completion through partnership with a diversity of constituents.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry Joiner for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches.(Opt out anytime.)