TAMPA, FL – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the DMA, NEMOA, SEMPO, Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To get our jobs by email the minute they’re posted, click here. To add your resume to our confidential database, click here. To like us on FB, please click here …
UPDATE: This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
Now then: We are working with Home Shopping Network (HSN.com) in their search for a Sr. Manager of Online Marketing, SEO based in sunny Tampa, FL. If you are unfamiliar with HSN, check out this video …
HARRY’S COMMENTS: Earlier this week, I posted an infographic from a recent 14-page Economist special report called Beyond the PC. If you are one of the 439,405 professionals on Linkedin with the word “ecommerce” somewhere in your bio, this report is an atomic throw-down of bullish news on your long-term career prospects. The infographic, seen here, shows that by 2020, there will be 10 billion wireless connections worldwide. That’s billion, with a “B.”
Yet as splendid as this news is for the ecommerce industry at large, some companies are much better positioned than others to exploit this trend. HSN is one of them.
As usual, I did some digging: With a reach of about 89 million U.S. households per week, HSN’s core audience is 82% female and 18% male, with an active customer base of 4.6 million. The network’s demographic is 25 to 65, with an average household income of $65,000. Geographically, its top three markets for sales are New York, Los Angeles and Chicago (which spells good news for HSN’s new Sr. Manager of Online Marketing, SEO since the company will seek to leverage its online channel to heighten its profile in other markets).
HSN.com is a top 10 trafficked ecommerce site that offers a truly multichannel marketing experience by combining content, community and commerce. TV, call centers, online, mobile, direct mail. They do it all. In addition to marketing like crazy on its existing platforms, HSN is rocking it in the area of transactional innovation, including services such as HSN “Shop by Remote” (the only service of its kind in the U.S.), HSN’s Shopping App for mobile devices, and HSN on Demand.
This focus on innovation is paying off: Multichannel customers who purchase via HSN TV and HSN.com are more fully engaged, generating sales of $1,294 per year. That compares with $681 for customers who only order via HSN.com and $855 for customers who only order via HSN TV. Clearly, HSN’s management is committed to the online channel — and that means SEO, anticipating and exploiting the complexities of WHO the customer is, and WHEN, WHERE, and HOW they want to discover, transact, and self-actualize with the HSN.com brand, both online and off.
How’s that for a challenge?
Naturally, the Sr. Manager of Online Marketing, SEO will be responsible for leading HSN.com’s organic search marketing efforts, and will create and drive all of its SEO strategies. As HSN’s “voice of SEO” the new hire will make others understand (and appreciate!) how SEO is a key component of overall marketing across the entire HSN organization. We need a brilliant SEO freak — but we also need an accessible, plain-spoken businessperson in this role. Introverted propeller-heads need not apply.
Current critical projects include the development and implementation of: an XML site map, … leveraging customer review content, … sub domain redirection, … expired product strategy, … dynamic content generation, and … URL canonicalization. As usual, there’s tons of proprietary info I can share with you about this search. But you get the gist. I need the Lex Luthor of organic search — someone of high intelligence and incredible technological prowess … Minus Lex Luthor’s “Black Hat” tendencies, yet coupled with David Ogilvy’s customer-centricity. Make sense??
Please Tweet this job, and you’ll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
- Develop and evangelize SEO strategies and plans across the HSN organization
- Manage SEO project development from beginning to end.
- Manage SEO keyword lists and targets
- Analyze and translate quantitative and qualitative data from web analytics tools into actionable SEO and Paid Search Quarterly and Annual Plans
- Develop key measurement strategies and metrics
- Work with web analytics team to establish reports that measure SEM successes and help identify opportunities.
- Work with Technology and Content teams to establish SEO guidelines for HSN website design and development.
- Define SEO requirements and recommend site enhancements that will elevate search engine rankings for our keywords.
- Build strong working relationships with other departments and business units (marketing, PR, IT, and other constituents) to ensure that all SEM efforts are understood and supported across the organization.
- Serve as an internal search expert to ensure that best practices are shared and leveraged by all relevant internal groups.
- Be a subject matter expert on SEO; regularly educate HSN employees and partners by conducting internal workshops and seminars.
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation skills to evangelize the value of SEO. (Knowledge in Paid Search is a plus.)
- Strong web analytics skills including experience with web analytics software, such as Coremetrics, Omniture, and/or Google Analytics
- Solid understanding of search engine ranking factors, algorithms and principals
- 5-7 years working as a SEO Manager, Director of Online/Search Marketing, or Search Specialist or similar role
- 6+ years overall SEO and Paid Search experience
- A track record for continually improving and optimizing SEM programs Experience working with a multichannel online retailer would be ideal
Applications and interviews for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert @ (706) 318-1196. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to ask for the packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
Get my latest searches. (Opt out anytime.)