DODGEVILLE, WI – EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the DMA, NEMOA, SEMPO, Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To get our jobs by email the minute they're posted, click here.
UPDATE: This position has been closed. Click HERE to see a list of our current openings. To subscribe to our searches, click HERE.
We are working with Lands' End in their search for a Director of Internet Marketing based in Dodgeville, WI — just up the road from Madison. Lands’ End is a subsidiary of Sears Holdings, and No. 8 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide.
HARRY'S COMMENTS: Pursuant to these searches, I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Michael Holahan, Lands' End's Vice President of Multi-Channel Marketing. Folks, these are incredibly sharp people, and this is a very growth oriented business with some serious strategic and operational changes afoot.
Frankly, I was surprised. Since 1963, Lands' End has become a staple of American wardrobes with its basics and seasonal basics. But as the world has changed, so has Land's End. See what you think:
Everything about Lands' End's new approach to business is tighter and leaner. More "open," too — with a focus on three-way communications (company-to-customer-to-customer) rather than an old school company-to-customer monologue. A lot of my clients talk about this stuff, but Land's End seems to be in the process of reinventing itself.
As you can imagine, Land's End's marcom strategies are relying much more on social media, and its Facebook page has 530K members and growing. But it's what the company is doing with this information that's interesting: Land's End is actually listening to its customers, which is creating tighter feedback loops between its customers and product development team, thereby enabling the company to move towards monthly product introductions.
The result? Its customers feel like they have a stake in the brand, and they are more inclined to tell their friends about it. This is all stuff you've heard before, but I've had hundreds of project kickoff calls with ecommerce execs, and this is the first one I've had where the attending VP could rattle off example after concrete example of how customer feedback was being injected into the company's culture. Call me if you'd like the specifics, which for competitive reasons I cannot provide here.
If I don't hear from you, just know this: Land's End's best days are ahead of it.
Please Tweet this job, and you'll be automatically entered into our monthly drawing. Just do it and see what happens: 2010 prizes included $100 Amazon gift certs, Dean & Deluca steaks, and Keurig coffee machines …
The Director of Internet Marketing will lead the online marketing strategies for a direct to consumer multi-channel apparel retailer. The Director will develop and integrate e-commerce advertising plans aligned with corporate brand strategies and campaign initiatives to drive demand and new customer acquisition. The Director of Internet Marketing is responsible for SEO/SEM, Affiliate Programs and online advertising buys with a team of Direct Reports.
- Develop and execute Demand Generation and Customer Acquisition programs through SEM, SEO, affiliates, display, partnerships, and other channels to drive key performance metrics
- Conduct reporting and analysis on program performance, including identifying business drivers and opportunities for improvement
- Conduct forecasting and expense management for Lands' End channels
- Drive Alignment with Merchandising, Campaign, and Promotion teams to develop and launch offers, promotions, and giveaways to drive profitable customer acquisition and demand.
- Identify and assess new opportunities, including developing projections, vetting IOs and negotiating terms
- Manage and execute ongoing optimization and new strategies for SEM campaigns, determining bid strategies, tracking, a/b testing, and reporting
- Manage and execute ongoing optimization and new strategies for display campaigns, including creative briefs, image direction, comp review, tracking, a/b testing, and reporting
- Own relationships with outside agencies, engines and other partners to implement both existing and new programs.
- Make presentations to “Tell the Story” to senior management about strategies, plans, forecasts and results.
- Work with cross-functional partners including campaign teams, merchandising, creative, and IT
- Maintain brand guidelines in all programs, assets, and deliverables
- Monitor competition and industry, providing analysis as needed
- Ability to strategically lead, develop and manage a team
- Proven track record of achieving success with online acquisition and demand generation
- Strong strategic, analytical thinker with excellent quantitative skills
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Excel and familiar with analytics programs such as Google Analytics and Omniture
- Ability to work successfully with multiple business functions and successfully influence stakeholders at all levels of an organization
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- A self-starter who can take the ball and run with it with a positive attitude
- +12 years marketing experience with a minimum of 7 years of experience in managing and executing SEM, Display and other online programs
- Education: BA (MBA preferred)
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to ask Harry for packet #1312 of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.