PHILADELPHIA, PA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest digital marketing jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with GoBrands, Inc. in their search for a Director of Customer Acquisition for goPuff based in Philadelphia.
Great idea, right?
At this client’s request (competitive reasons), I’m not going to do a deep dive into goPuff’s business model, strategy, margins, valuation, funding plans, growth rates, marketing spend, acquisition costs, ROAS, AOV, 12-month file size, org structure, SWOTs, and so on. You’ll have to call me for that. For now, these guys would like to remain more or less in stealth mode. Probably smart.
For now, just know this: goPuff is a real business with real infrastructure backed by top-tier VCs and run by real A-players. The firm’s revenues DOUBLED in 2017 from 7- to 8-figures, and the team expects sales to double again in 2018 as more cities are added.
About the Role
goPuff seeks a worldclass Director of Digital Acquisition to be responsible for developing and driving digital strategy with the goal of new customer acquisition and revenue via digital channels. In this role you will manage, optimize, and execute goPuff’s Paid Social, SEO, SEM, Reputation Management and Web Optimization initiatives. This is a BIG job — and goPuff is growing like a weed.
This job is about TWO things, primarily: LOCAL MARKETING and GROWTH HACKING.
According to Andrew Chen, a growth hacker is a hybrid of marketer and coder; one who looks at the traditional question of “How do I get customers for my product?” and answers with A/B tests, landing pages, viral factor, email deliverability, and Open Graph. On top of this, they layer the discipline of direct marketing, with its emphasis on quantitative measurement, scenario modeling via spreadsheets, and a lot of database queries.
Because goPuff is an on-demand LOCAL delivery service, a knowledge of mobile-first SEO, local search and performance marketing is critical. After all, what good is a customer who lives in an area to which goPuff can’t deliver?
Also important: How can you innovate common growth hacks to amplify the effects of your local marketing efforts?
We are looking for a gritty, creative, reality-based performance marketing badass who can (for example) make use of reviews to dominate local SERPs while, say, running a successful local Facebook marketing strategy.
Is this job for you? Ask yourself these ten questions:
- Do I have a step by step process to identify and prioritize goPuff’s growth initiatives?
- Can I build and lead a high performance team to operate against goPuff’s growth objectives?
- Do I use quantitative models for analyzing retention and diagnosing trouble areas?
- How would I design and identify methods to improve goPuff’s retention?
- Do I have a teachable, reality-based POV regarding how to identify, prioritize, and scale new channels and platforms?
- Do I know when to use certain tactics like display ads, Facebook apps, push notifications, and others?
- Will my systematic, repeatable approach to virality apply to a company like goPuff?
- Will my methods of calculating key viral metrics and building viral loops work for the goPuff concept?
- How will I define and verify goPuff’s “activation moment and metrics” in ways that improve the business?
- How might I build an activation strategy that flexes as goPuff’s audience and product continue to evolve?
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
My team spent a ton of time on the phone with Rafael teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT Harry Joiner at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Manage and own goPuff’s digital audience targeting and segmentation via digital channels
- Head up strategic planning efforts, budgets and measurables, expediting growth of the business
- Collaborate with Content and Field Marketing Leadership to develop plan and testing methods of specific content and events
- Lead digital insight efforts and reporting to key stakeholders
- Work closely with Business Development to integrate partner initiatives into digital plan
- Work closely with Digital Product and Merchandising teams to continually improve the onsite customer experience and funnel
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 5+ years of digital marketing experience, preferably with an emphasis on retail
- In depth knowledge of Paid Social, SEO (in 2018), SEM and website optimization
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to aggregate data and report on performance relative to benchmarks
- Ability to manage a variety of current channels and identify additional high impact digital channels
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Powerpoint, Analytics software, Tableau/SQL a plus)
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED