HANOVER, MD – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
We’re working with DTLR in their search for a Director of Ecommerce based in Hanover, MD. DTLR is a chain of over 100 stores featuring street-inspired footwear and apparel.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We have a crushing amount of information on the search, with more than 25 pages of notes collected over three intake calls with DTLR’s CEO and CMO spanning more than 2.5 hours. We don’t normally go to these lengths for Director level roles, but this is a critically important hire for DTLR, and we are looking for a very special person in this position.
DTLR is a fast growing, lifestyle retailer of street-inspired footwear, apparel and accessories. Its stores offer a distinctive, high energy shopping experience and are designed to look and feel like independent, locally-managed specialty stores.
The firm believes it is uniquely positioned to win in the marketplace due to its constantly evolving merchandise assortment, wide selection of desirable brands, energized sales associates, music-inspired retail atmosphere and strong connections with local communities in which it operates.
DTLR’s community-centric culture reinforces its authentic brand image and positions it as a leading destination retailer of street inspired fashion footwear, apparel and accessories. In addition to DTLR.com, the firm operates +100 stores in 12 states and Washington DC. The folks are all about multichannel.
The company aims to provide a one-stop shopping experience that addresses its consumers’ desire to dress “from the shoe up.” The company offers regular releases of limited-availability merchandise from Nike and Brand Jordan as well as merchandise from other sought after brands, such as Adidas (Yeezy) and Puma (Rihanna).
It relies on an innovative, neighborhood-based approach to building brand awareness, consumer loyalty and authenticity. DTLR’s primary marketing programs target its consumers where they live, work and play. The company markets through street teams at hundreds of social events per year, partnering with top club and radio DJ personalities, hosting in-store appearances by popular music artists and sponsoring local events.
DTLR strives to be a model corporate citizen and asserts a positive influence on the neighborhoods in which it operates. Very often DTLR contributes resources to help the development of local communities, and its employees are motivated and encouraged to participate in community service.
The firm sponsors book clubs at local schools and community sports camps in addition to hosting its trademarked Basketball Buc$ and Homeroom Huddle programs. Its charitable beneficiaries include Sole4Souls and St. Jude’s. Bottom Line: I’d want my own kid to work for DTLR.
About the Role
As DTLR’s new Director of Ecommerce, you will be responsible for the profitable expansion of the firm’s all-important ecommerce business. In the footwear and athletic sports apparel category, that’s a big job.
You’ll be responsible for leading overall strategy and execution of DTLR’s online selling efforts, which includes merging the firm’s ecommerce initiatives with its physical locations to create a seamless customer experience. You’ll be responsible for enhancing and optimizing DTLR.com’s CX and conversion rates while crafting and coordinating its social media activities.
Naturally, you’ll assume responsibility for day to day activities while overseeing the priorities and performance of online marketing. Your team’s success will be measured by monthly, quarterly, and annual traffic growth, as well as sales, conversion, gross margin performance and expense control, among other things. Some financial literacy and an analytical bias to the way you make decisions is required.
To get this job, DTLR is looking for an A-player who can relocate to Maryland; has been a successful Director of Ecommerce already; has built scalable ecommerce teams in the past; and has both retail and social media experience. DTLR’s ecommerce business is large enough to benefit from a few economies of scale — but it’s not so large that you’ll be able to simply outmuscle players like Zappos on SEO, SEM, etc.
One final note: DTLR’s online business is primed for growth, and a key aspect of this role will be building out the firm’s ecom team. You’ll be responsible for hiring and training your own team (versus inheriting an existing team of B-players, which can happen in the IR-500).
Because DTLR’s ecommerce business is still relatively small, many people from other departments are involved in it. It’s two DMM’s are actively involved, as are its buying team, creative director and social media director. You’ll work with these people to assume control of DTLRs ecommerce business and build the team from there. It will be your team. They’ll report to you. This will be your business to run.
How exciting is that?
As usual, we have a crazy amount of proprietary information to share with HIGHLY QUALIFIED candidates regarding this client’s industry, culture, underlying economics, and ecommerce strategy. Our market research alone for this search exceeds 100 pages!! Believe me, you don’t want to apply without this intel. To request this packet of research, CLICK HERE. Or simply use the link at the bottom of this page.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and oversee the execution of all online marketing programs and initiatives to drive sales and profits from DTLR’s online efforts, as well as support the firm’s physical locations.
- Ensure consistent brand messaging and develop a compelling and seamless customer experience between offline and online interaction with the brand, especially with social media platforms.
- Develop and oversee the consumer experience on DTLR.com to increase engagement and conversion rates.
- Develop and oversee consumer acquisition strategy and programs to achieve revenue and profit growth targets.
- Develop measurements to track performance of all online marketing programs; design test strategies and refine creative assets to optimize results.
- Identify opportunities for improved business processes; create and implement process improvements focused on efficiencies and long term growth.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and annual budgets and forecasts for revenue, margin and expense.
- 5-10 years of direct to consumer ecommerce experience with cross channel retail experience.
- Transformational leader with a passion for ecommerce, product management and process innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to assemble, build and develop a team to support DTLR’s ecommerce and social media efforts.
- Ability to motivate a team to achieve DTLR’s goals.
- Demonstrated experience with creating and overseeing digital customer experiences, online merchandising and ecommerce operations.
- Ability to recognize and anticipate business trends and opportunities, and then respond quickly.
- Ability to leverage various analytic platforms and tools.
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy.