SOUTHEAST USA – With more than 100 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based ecommerce recruiting firm serving the NRF, B2B, P/E, and IR-2000 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
A while back I stumbled upon a great article by Sequoia Capital called Elements of Enduring Companies. I can’t say I was surprised by what I saw, but the article was an excellent recap of what it takes to build a company to last. You can see it here.
We are working with an outdoor lifestyle apparel brand in their search for a Head of Ecom based in the Southeast USA.
NOTE: Due to the confidential nature of this search we’re not making the location public. However, this role will require relocation to the southeast. We’ll share the location upon request and review of your resume to verify a potential fit.
Although our client is a mid-8-figure business, this decade-old company has laid the foundation of what it takes to endure: Clarity of purpose; Large addressable market; Predominantly affluent customers (who will pay a premium for a unique offering); Singular focus; Tendency to think differently and challenge conventional wisdom; Great team DNA; Agility; Resilience; Frugality; and Scalability.
That’s where YOU come in.
The company has a strong brand, excellent distribution, and a high-performance culture. All channels are growing, and it has very solid retail and wholesale partner relationships. Management seeks to leverage the brand’s forward retail positioning, and its MAP pricing policy is well-written and highly enforced — even on 3P markets like Amazon.
We can’t say that about every client we have.
Without being too specific, we can say that the client’s DTC sales, traffic, AOV, and conversion rate are EXCELLENT by industry standards, though there’s plenty of room for growth. In particular, paid social is doing well, but the client would love to see more growth from organic social, SMS, and affiliate.
Naturally, to grow the business to its fullest potential, we’d expect you to drive improvements to customer retention and brand loyalty.
As a marketer, your challenge is to build a moat around the best customers while improving the quality and quantity of traffic to the website. Actually, that means cloning the firm’s best customers.
There are lots of ways to do this.
This year, the firm set aside eight figures for marketing, with the lion’s share of that going online. But it won’t end online: The company plans to experiment more with direct mail (DM), possibly using QR codes to drive recipients to its site. The client is still figuring out DM.
To get this job, you’ll need experience managing that kind of budget across multiple brand and DTC channels. Additionally, you’ll need solid experience with GA and Shopify (or something similar).
The current team is busted up into four disciplines: Acquisition, Retention, UX, and Customer service. You’ll need to have solid experience in each of those areas, along with an analytical bias and a creating streak. Yin and yang.
Omnichannel experience is essential, though a background in retail is not.
Having said that, you must be truly excited about the outdoor apparel category and be curious to learn new things. There’s tribal business building to be done here as you stomp on the gas and ACCELERATE while ensuring your team never loses sight of the details.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
We spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/ week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard performance marketing job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
Our industry research for this ecommerce job exceeds 60 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- MUST have D2C Ecommerce experience
- Lifestyle Brand or apparel experience preferred
- MUST have previous and/or current full P&L ownership experience
- Full ownership of the End to End Ecommerce business including Acquisition, Retention, and Site Operations
- Experience managing an internal team and external agencies
- Experience selecting and optimizing the Ecom Marketing Tech stack
- Deep Analytics, Optimization and P&L forecasting experience
- A proven track record of growing an Ecommerce business by 25M+
- Ability to work seamlessly with cross functional teams and department heads (Creative, IT, Ops, etc)
- Ability to present to upper level management
- Strong background with driving Loyalty and Retention
- Experience with Direct Mail a major plus but not a must have
- Someone who is deeply curious (You’ll need to have examples of times you’ve identified new and innovative ways to grow the business)
- This role will have full end to end ownership of the D2C Ecommerce business
- Full ownership of the Ecommerce P&L with a responsibility for forecasting and presenting growth plans and opportunities
- Ownership of the Acquisition team focused on driving traffic (SEO, SEM, Social, Affiliate, Paid Search, Paid Social, etc)
- Ownership of the Retention team focused on improving Email/SMS strategies/operations along with Loyalty and potentially the Direct Mail strategies
- Ownership of the Site Operations team focused on Site Optimization, Merchandising, and Conversion Rate Optimization strategies
- Constant analysis of all D2C Ecommerce KPIs and Analytics with a focus on continuous optimization
- Management of a 10+ person team along with multiple external agencies and vendors
- Reporting to the Founders you’ll be expected to constantly present and forecast growth projections and goals. Presentations to the Board of Directors.
- Ownership of the D2C Ecommerce Budget
- To bring a detective style approach to solving problems and looking for new opportunities to grow the business