IRVINE, CA – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with a confidential client in their search for a Director of Ecommerce based in Irvine, CA.
The client is a private equity-backed designer and manufacturer operating in the children’s space. My wife and daughters have heard of them, and perhaps you have too. This is not a start-up. The business was built on selling to specialty brick and mortar retailers, and they’ve done a great job building their brand.
This is a real designer, with real revenues, a real market, and real investors. And the best thing is, they’ve got real FANS.
To win in this role, you’ll need very solid experience in both branded, DTC ecommerce as well as Amazon. In the next five years, the company sees its sales quadrupling from 8 figures to 9 figures.
To make that happen, the company will be launching entry-level and mid-tier priced lines, as well as extending reach into multichannel retailers.
Reporting directly to the firm’s CEO, your job will be to oversee the branded ecommerce site as well as the Amazon business. The firm has been managing its Amazon channel on a 1P basis, but soon it will move to Seller Central. You’ll need to understand the differences.
The Amazon experience is terrifically important. The new lines will be featured there, and it’s conceivable that in the next 24 months the Amazon volume will far exceed the company’s current DTC ecommerce revenue. You’ll have to get Amazon right.
Some of the Amazon-related things you’ll be expected to manage include:
- Inventory management and forecasting
- Marketplace listing creation and SEO optimization
- Catalog cleanup of existing listings
- Channel cleanup and brand protection
- Online advertising program management
- Customer service
- Product reviews and feedback
- Multichannel account management on US and international Amazon channels
And let’s not understate the importance of marketing on Amazon! Among other things, during your interviews for this position, you can expect us to ask you …
- Take me to your Amazon page. Did YOU do this? HOW? What was your PROCESS?
- Talk to us about your relationship with Amazon, the platform. What’s working? What’s not? What are your sales goals for Amazon this year? (We use JungleScout — so be prepared to get nitty-gritty with us.)
- What’s your process for identifying the most important tools for selling on Amazon?
- What’s your process for determining the optimal amounts to fund Amazon’s marketing tools?
- What are your primary challenges to improving marketing execution via resources and team coordination?
… and more.
Additionally, the client’s current DTC ecommerce site isn’t the best reflection of the brand. We need an analytically biased fixer / doer who understands merchandising, conversion rate optimization, CRM, and email marketing. And that’s just for starters.
Bottom line: We’re looking for a proven, reality based, hands-on player/coach who can roll up her sleeves and get stuff done with a minimum amount of discussion and noise. This ecommerce job is not a turnaround. But there is a lot of work to do.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
Like I said, Allan and I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 50 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Own both the front and back-end of the Shopify Plus site including: UX, navigation, checkout funnel, promotional campaigns, development roadmap & content implementation
- Build out the digital marketing strategies to grow the business including but not limited to email marketing, SEO optimization, search and social (Facebook, Instagram) in order to optimize reach and grow sales and customer acquisition via the Shopify Plus site.
- Develop and oversee efficient, timely, and accurate planning, QA and execution of digital content across all relevant sites / marketing campaigns
- Manage all aspects of ecommerce web analytics reporting (both ecom site and 3rd party software solutions) and communicate relevant information and actionable insights to team members, firm leadership, & cross-functional partners
- Own all etail merchandising and product decisions. Which means generating and implementing innovative new sales and marketing initiatives to increase ecommerce sales and profitability
- Manage all external service providers to maximize sales and support performance including but not limited to: agencies for SEO, SEM, social marketing, Amazon marketing, email, 3rd party software solutions
- Demonstrate the ability to drive analytics (e.g., basket analysis, promo effectiveness analysis, churn analysis) to derive consumer insights in order to grow customer acquisition, sales and achieve profitable growth
- Take ownership and act as main point of contact from an Account Management perspective for Amazon on behalf of the client. Seek out ways to grow the business and advise on AMS/PPC and marketing promotional strategies (ie: Coupon, Early Reviewer Program, Lightning Deals, etc.).
- Optimize Amazon ASIN product listing pages, imagery, content (A+/EBC), pricing, etc. with the goal of driving sales growth at optimal margin targets for Amazon Vendor and Seller Central (FBA.) Work with 3rd party resources, software and internal teams as necessary to achieve sales targets and profitable growth.
- Facilitate weekly reporting of the Amazon channel with status updates on ecommerce sales, inventory, marketing and profitability performance.
- Work with Supply Chain regularly to provide insights on key ecommerce sales variances to ensure demand plans and purchasing are aligned. Utilize 3rd party resource tools to address competitor pricing issues, mitigate 3P interference, address offline assortment issues, etc. Take action in addressing issues that may be affecting sales opportunities.
- Assist in building out foundation for the client’s ecommerce and Amazon expansion on a global scale: US, Canada & Europe.
- Stay abreast of top competitors and new strategies/approaches and trends within the industry; also continued focus on learning new strategies as it pertains to various eCommerce platforms, not just Amazon.