ecommercejobs Boston Proper
BOCA RATON, FL – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Boston Proper in their search for a Director of Growth Marketing based in Boca Raton, FL.
Boston Proper was founded in 1992 and made a name for itself as a specialty retailer of high-end women’s apparel and accessories. The primary purpose of the company is to inspire women to be “fearlessly feminine, enviably chic, and possess the poise and confidence to Wear It Like No One Else®.”
In January 2016, Brentwood Associates completed its acquisition of Boston Proper in partnership with its management. Recently the company renamed itself “Beyond Proper” because, as CEO Sheryl Clark explains matter-of-factly, “We’re not from Boston. We never have been, and we knew it was time for a name that fully embodies our beloved brand.”
In my experience, few CEOs know their customer as well as Sheryl …
There’s an old saying that “People buy products and join brands.”
That idea applies here. Beyond Proper is focused on empowering women with a conviction that confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can wear; and that style is defined by attitude, not age. The company curates for its college educated, active, feminine, stylish, independent, well-traveled, and time-constrained audience a line of diverse and distinctive pieces they won’t find elsewhere.
Like its customers, the brand’s personality is daring, distinctive, sexy, and sophisticated.
As Beyond Proper’s new Director of Growth Marketing, it will fall to YOU to grow the business in resource friendly, brand accretive ways while relying on analytics and customer insights to meet their needs. This role requires a strategic, analytically biased, energetic team leader with proven experience in a wide variety of online and offline marketing channels (plus CRM).
We’re looking for an established A-player who has driven profitable customer growth in acquisition, retention and reactivation — through online, direct mail and print catalogs. (BP’s print catalog represents a substantial chunk of its sales.)
Reporting to the firm’s VP of Marketing and Ecommerce, you’ll lead a small, experienced team and multiple agencies/vendors as you assume responsibility for the brand’s DTC marketing efforts. Relevant KPIs will include customer growth and LTV, reduced CPO and maximum ROAS.
Every day you’ll lead Boston Proper’s customer acquisition and retention function — including Email/CRM, prospecting marketing, search, digital display, social media, catalog circulation and contact strategy. Better bring your A-game!
Boston Proper’s print catalog drops 11x per year, so you’ll need experience with catalog circulation. You won’t necessarily manage the tactical aspects of BP’s circ function, but there’s no question that major growth opportunities exist in reactivating lapsed catalog customers — and your job is to GROW the business.
To that end, you’ll need a common sense approach to identifying cost effective, brand accretive growth opportunities — wherever they may be: Desktop, mobile, catalog, or direct mail.
This role will involve your being able to develop and execute a solid plan to grow (net) new customers on to BP’s data file across ALL existing channels — then transitioning the business into digital in a bigger way. The firm’s goal is to become truly customer centric; to be truly data focused in its acquisition, retention, and reactivation efforts.
If a customer buys online, so be it. If she prefers a print catalog, no problem.
NOTE: Boston Proper’s catalog customer list is humongous! Imagine using a monster house file like BP’s to build a hierarchy of prospects based on their past purchase activity. Consider how all of that proprietary data would help you identify and build engaged online audiences. Woo hoo!
In addition to busting out your playbook of proven internet marketing best practices, you’ll need an up-to-date knowledge of social media (especially Facebook / Instagram) given the amount of apparel category traffic generated by influencers.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search.
We spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this ecommerce job. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
Again: I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this ecommerce job is nearly 60 pages! Be sure to TEXT Harry Joiner at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Manage and lead the continuous improvement in all paid marketing channels to include lead acquisition and conversion strategies, email engagement and deliverability, direct mail and catalog performance and marketing automation systems
- Track innovation within the industry and evaluate and identify new partners that will deliver best-in-class strategies
- Leverage industry best practices to develop new strategies and execute against new and emerging marketing channels for growth
- Ensure team manages and efficiently optimizes programs within budget goals, working closely with cross-functional team on budget opportunities
- Track and monitor marketing effectiveness to attribute and optimize the marketing investment across channels.
- Monitor all KPIs related to digital marketing, mail/catalog marketing and CRM.
- Develop and lead significant test and learn approach across channels to optimize all marketing efforts over time
- Plan performance marketing projects and manage external marketing partners and vendors to achieve goals
- Lead, direct and manage the activities of the internal digital marketing, email/CRM and circulation teams, supporting them in their assigned duties
- Direct and manage outside agencies and vendors
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing or other related field.
- 10 years of extensive experience with strong focus on direct response/ROI-driven marketing
- Strong working knowledge of core performance marketing channels including paid search, affiliate, display advertising, paid social
- Significant expertise in managing and implementing customer journeys/multi-channel marketing plans and programs across digital, CRM and direct mail/catalog
- Analytical mindset with the ability to interpret data, create executive summaries, and deliver actionable business insights
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple deliverables
- Advanced proficiency of all MS office products including Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook and adept at presenting both detailed and summarized results
- Experience with various marketing and digital platforms including (but not limited to) AdWords, Facebook, Google Analytics, attribution tools and enterprise email service providers and CRMs
- Familiarity with marketing attribution and analytics tools
- Resourceful and proactive with a high level of accommodation and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment of constant change; able to perform well under pressure and deadlines
- Effective leadership and analytical skills
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- The ability to build strong relationships and influence others
- Organization and confidence to work independently but also a strong team player
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Desire to consistently grow and develop your career