FULLY REMOTE – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the NRF, IR-1000, and B2B communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with a massive, well-known specialty etailer in their search for a world-class Director of Marketing Operations who’d like to be a CMO or GM someday. This role is one-hunna percent HOME BASED.
You know the brand. You love the category. Chances are you have one of these things in your home and think of it often. In fact, you probably brag about yours to strangers and regale your friends with stories about it.
So let’s start here: THIS IS A BIG JOB.
By “BIG” I mean important. Nearly a third of this client’s online retail team will report to YOU. Meaning: There’s no hiding .. No shirking … And no shriveling in this role.
The client is running a bustling, professional, high-velocity ecommerce marketing operation, and it’ll be up to YOU to make sure the trains run on time.
Let’s talk about what that means:
As this client’s Director of Marketing Operations, it’ll be up to you to lead ALL OF the firm’s content, creative, and communication initiatives. Your domain will include project management, copywriting, content production, social media marketing, creative, graphic design — and to a certain extent, PR.
It’s an eclectic mix of disciplines, but if you already knew how the customer buys and the structure of the current department, you’d understand why this is the optimal layout.
Ideally, you’ll have extensive retail experience, given that your new colleagues now run functions like email, direct mail, loyalty, subscriptions, autoship, website and customer analytics, site monetization, product bundling, testing, cross-sells and upsells, channel performance/analytics, media allocation, performance marketing, and organic search.
All of these folks are very business oriented and thus highly quantitative. You’ll need to RELATE.
Reporting directly to the firm’s CMO, you must be HIGHLY expert in planning, building, and executing clutter-busting, “on-brand” creative, content, and communication that reinforces the firm’s positioning and awareness to an evolving constellation of customers, partners, and media stakeholders.
My interviews with you will drill down big time on your chops in these three areas!
Get ready to step me through your PROCESS for designing, developing, and bringing to life the kind of content that will make my client’s customers feel BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES because of their relationship with the brand. Not only will this role have you developing BIG IDEAS for campaigns and marketing assets — but also you’ll be COACHING your team members through your process.
This role is NOT about equating busyness with effectiveness: You must be a strategic thinker with the ability to prioritize and possess attention to detail and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get into the details when necessary. Just as important, you must possess a strong drive for results, have a bias for action, and be able to blend creative thinking with analytical smarts.
We’re looking for a player/coach with an obsessive customer focus, infectious enthusiasm, and a dedication to mentoring and developing their team. Clearly, you’ll need to be a scrappy, continuous learner with a high-speed test/fail approach to getting things done. And of course: You’ve gotta be coachable, respectful, honest, and self-motivated.
One more thing:
This is too senior of a role for someone who has never had a team. According to the firm’s CMO, “We want someone who has been a leader. They must have lead teams — even if it’s just a team of two or three people. We have a bigger team than that, but we need someone who is analytically biased and understands how to get things done through other people in a process-driven way that doesn’t involve a lot of broken glass.”
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPIs that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you’ll keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Harry Joiner, at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Oversee the coaching, performance, and development of each team member
- Lead the planning, building, and execution of all promotional campaigns for the firm and its co-op marketing partners
- Partner with data analytics to understand campaign performance and user behavior.
- Work with copywriter and partner with SEO team to prioritize, plan, and execute copy for campaigns, promotions, and educational articles.
- Ensure that all copy is of high quality and consistent with brand positioning
- Work with content production team to make sure all promotional campaign details are planned, built, and executed flawlessly and on time
- Lead social media strategy planning and execution for key channels including Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok
- Test and build influencer network to drive significant improvement in reach, followers, and engagement
- Work with data analytics team to build dashboard forecasting and reporting of social media KPIs
- Leverage promotion, educational, and engagement campaigns to drive the firm’s sales revenue
- Lead creative direction and branding on our website, in our digital and graphical assets, and in all our written copy to ensure high quality and consistency with our brand voice.
- Work with PR agency firm to make sure our PR strategy is planned and executed in a timely manner and that we meet or surpass all of our key earned media goals and PR strategy
- 7+ years of experience required leading and having overall results ownership of digital creative, brand positioning, social media, or content production at a multi-channel or ecommerce retailer
- Track record of building talented team. Have scaled and lead teams of five or more people
- Strong ability and experience in digital campaign and promotional planning and execution
- Experience with project management software such as Basecamp
- Highly organized, communicative, and have a bias for action, including learning by testing
- Priority-focused, detail oriented, urgency-based owner with a strong drive for exceeding performance goals
- Ability to collaborate across internal teams in executing and analyzing campaigns
- Creative and proactive thinker and tinkerer who has a constant flow of great ideas yet has the ability to prioritize and execute. Loves to test new ideas.
- A leader who can articulate high-level strategy, analyze performance, and lead the charge forward
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 7+ years of increasingly senior roles overseeing marketing operations in either content, creative, branding, or social media channels
- Experience at an ecommerce, DTC retailer required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organization skills: Ability to manage and prioritize multiple competing assignments and deal with short timeframes.
- Strong leadership and people development experience and skills
- Insanely curious about every aspect of the user experience across every touchpoint.