MID-ATLANTIC – With more than 100 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We’re working with a confidential jewelry brand in its search for a Director of Content Strategy based in the Mid-Atlantic United States.
With nearly 300 employees, the client’s brand is very well established. The firm sources products from around the world — mostly jewelry, watches, handbags, walking sticks, collectible knives, accessories. For the most part, it’s a niche business selling to older men. The average customer is a 50/up male, buying gifts for their loved ones, and occasionally something for themselves.
This particular 50/up customer is affluent (good news), self-indulgent (more good news), and buys through direct mail. But that’s changing …
Currently, the client produces 14-16 different catalogs a year, mailing roughly nine million catalogs and 15 million pieces of direct mail. The company is very story-driven in how it sells product. Just the way the customer likes it — and which is where you come in. The customer’s LTV is excellent and the repeat buyer file is quite robust.
The firm has carved out an excellent niche and has roughly 3 million customers in its database — a decent percentage of which buy from the client regularly. The client does much of its cross-selling / up-selling in its own call center where many of its inbound callers are converted to its Buyers Club. In their current media plan, remnant advertising is a pretty big deal, as is direct mail.
But there’s always the potential for channel shift.
The company’s business is not in decline — but there’s loads of untapped potential for them to grow their ecommerce business. The same can be said for all players in this category: Currently, only 8% of the US jewelry sales happen online, lagging far behind retail and direct marketing. No single player enjoys a runaway first-mover advantage, and category-wide, total sales are flat.
Overall, the client’s business would benefit from more aggressive integrated customer acquisition — and there is a fantastic opportunity for the client leverage digital content in the growth of its business.
Leveraging a “direct mail mentality.”
Given that the company launches +12 products a month, you’ll find it useful that the firm’s direct mail mentality lends itself easily to multi-channel, multi-device, multi-step demand creation. Everyone one the firm’s management team understands the mechanics of a great offer (headline, subhead, USP, risk-reversal, testimonials, sense of urgency, etc.), so your colleagues won’t need convincing to support your campaigns on Adwords, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
To win in this role, you’ll need integrated marketing skills and have the innate ability to develop and tell GREAT product stories. You will be responsible for defining the organization’s digital content strategy, developing content schedules, and coordinating distribution across all digital channels, including the client’s website, social media platforms, email marketing, and more.
The team will look to YOU to constantly improve its creative output while producing consistent, high-quality content that is inspirational, on-brand, and engaging to customers. You must be able to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines and possess a keen eye for detail, leaning towards perfection. The ability to accept constructive feedback and be flexible with requested changes of work is essential. Demonstrated ecommerce experience and a history of managing others is required.
Frankly, there aren’t many better places to be a content producer.
The firm’s business model is really unique, and there’s really nobody else in the jewelry business that’s doing something similar. Other than independent brick-and-mortar retailers, our client doesn’t have a direct competitor focusing on 50-plus-year-old guys, which is the biggest income group in the country and HATES shopping in stores.
The firm sources its own own products, and they deal directly with manufacturers all over the world. These folks understand the sourcing vagaries of the jewelry world and their products are priced well, well, below their luxury competitors. They’ve got the “luxury for less, bargains for millionaires” things nailed down to a tee.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search!
Allan and I spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score as the firm’s new Director of Content Strategy.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Direct digital content strategy, creation process, scheduling and execution
- Develop marketing objectives and promotional strategy for all email and organic social marketing campaigns that drive response and revenue while being true to the brand.
- Deliver relevant and valuable content, consistent with the brand, to customers via the website, email, social, and other platforms
- Identify, develop, schedule, execute and merchandise website campaign strategies
- to engage customers, build awareness, and increase conversions on website
- Schedule and coordinate all marketing email efforts with creative/merchandising departments and other stakeholders
- Direct workflow and ensure copy, image, and video content aligns with overall brand positioning strategy
- Manage staff execution of all email and organic social media communications, assuring accuracy and that all deadlines are met
- Achieve demand sales growth goals while maximizing marketing contribution
- Generate, analyze, and effectively communicate response analysis and productivity reporting
- Supervise, empower and inspire staff
- Ensure team members have access to necessary resources and a clear understanding of mission.
- Facilitate intra, inter, and vendor partner collaboration/communication.
- Manage content strategy, scheduling, creation, and maintenance on digital channels including websites, blogs, landing pages, email campaigns, and social campaigns
- Coordinate campaigns closely with Creative, Merchandising, and Operations team members to set direction, develop campaign concepts, and assure proper execution while maintaining the overarching brand image.
- Monitor campaign performance and develop performance reports (Google Analytics, ESP platform insights and various social listening tools)
- Manage vendor relationships and processes
- 3+ years of experience in digital marketing with a retail brand or agency
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in areas of Marketing, Advertising, Communications, Journalism, English, or another relevant field.
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Superior record of achievement on an ongoing basis, as demonstrated by consistent ability to achieve stated goals.
- Demonstrated competency in leading teams to consistent achievement of goals
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills, including the demonstrated ability to develop strategic marketing plans and integrated campaigns
- Ability to build strong cross-departmental relationships
- Ability to present concepts effectively and influence decisions at all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with staff, peers and supervisor (including well-developed listening skills).
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.