MID-ATLANTIC – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the NRF, Ad Tech, and IR-1000 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with a major digital printer in its search for a Director of Marketing based in the scenic Mid-Atlantic states, somewhere down here …
About the Company
At the client’s request, this posting will be “client confidential.” However, please know that the folks have it all going on. The firm operates a leading portfolio of ecom businesses offering customized products for both businesses and consumers worldwide. Their brands carry tremendous name recognition, which has conferred widespread trust and credibility within their categories.
Backed by a Tier-1 private equity firm, the company’s brands leverage a shared ecom platform and back-office, powered by talented people and a highly effective marketing engine. This is not a turn-around. This is a great opportunity to take to the next level something that’s already working very well.
If all this sounds salesy, I’m just being factual.
As a perennial member of the Inc 5000 (and IR-1000), our client is a leading online supplier of envelopes, paper, and coverstock products. Its simple UI helps customers to easily upload and produce their own personalized items using hundreds of templates and allows them to customize anything from invitations to personalized notecards.
And get this: Recently the company rolled out a direct mail service that allows users to produce high-quality letters and notecards with addressed envelopes that they can mail directly to their own lists the very next business day. How convenient is that? Believe me, lots of people and companies use direct mail, which is expected to be a $9 billion market this year.
Because — according to the popular ecommerce blog MyWifeQuitHerJob — direct mail has:
- Up to an 8.5X higher response rate than email and paid search
- Up to a 13X higher response rate than social media
- Up to a 26X higher response rate than display advertising
Moreover, according to Forbes:
- Brand awareness for direct mail and postcard marketing is up to 70% greater than digital marketing
- Over 60% of people are more inclined to visit a website after receiving a postcard
- 57% of respondents say that postcard marketing makes them feel more valued as a customer
- 79% of customers act on a direct mailer immediately vs 45% for email marketing
So direct mail is for real, and so is the entire digital printing market.
According to IBIS World, there are 8.6 million businesses in the United States and a gazillion consumers. In 2020, the Digital Printing industry hit $10.7 billion in sales — due in part to the adoption of digital printing techniques over more traditional methods, such as lithographic printing. Additionally, our client looks to benefit from the closing of many Quick Printing stores which were driven by COVID. Meaning, our client’s prospects have never been brighter.
About the Role
Reporting directly to the CEO, as the client’s new Director of Marketing, your job is to grow the business in a resource-friendly, brand-accretive way. Full stop. That means leading a team that’s built around profitably driving traffic; improving the average order value; and improving the conversion rates of the firm’s ecommerce sites. On a daily basis, you find yourself collaborating with the firm’s shared services in marketing, product, and technology.
NOTE: The firm just hired a new CEO, and his DTC pedigree is absolutely first-rate (I have built teams for him before). He is extremely analytically biased and will ask you to co-develop and maintain very clear and effective strategies across multiple brands for customer retention, acquisition, and reactivation. We unpacked all of the DTC math behind what success looks like in the role, the economics of this thing look amazing.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Harry Joiner, at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Provide expertise, vision, and leadership to define and implement digital marketing programs and initiatives that successfully build profitable, long-term customer relationships across all brands and all channels.
- Leverage data and digital marketing expertise to research and analyze online performance statistics, determine customer requirements and product needs, manage site merchandising efforts, and deliver on creative. Serve as customer advocate who monitors customer feedback and works closely with service to ensure a positive customer experience.
- Lead program development, execution, and budget to achieve all service standard levels and key performance indicators (KPIs) for the department, including increased market penetration, revenue growth, profit margin improvement, site traffic, conversion, and customer acquisition and retention.
- Craft and communicate brand and image standards and integrate into broader messaging.
- Work with Web development teams on the development of new site capabilities, supervision, maintenance, and optimization of the existing suite of technologies and features, and to optimize the shopping experience and site productivity.
- Grow and innovate digital marketing programs – SEM, SEO, affiliate, display ad, social media, etc. – to drive additional qualified traffic to the firm’s websites.
- Manage team of Marketing and Ecommerce personnel, creative and design agencies, and user experience technology partners.
- Establish strategic direction for tools and technology to support the implementation and execution of the customer relationship marketing strategy.
- Provide market and business intelligence, utilizing analytics and business acumen to answer complex business issues, and identify implications for the competition, products, and customer feedback.
- Report on business trends, best practices, and competitive products and services, provide insights and recommendations to management team on how to further maximize results across all products and processes.
- Keep abreast of the latest Ecommerce marketing systems and techniques to maintain the company’s competitive advantage. Maintain a broad network of industry peers that can be leveraged for key insights.
- Prior success managing a full DTC ecommerce business / P&L
- A well-rounded understanding of a high-performance multi-channel / direct business.
- Proven track record of developing and executing successful, innovative, and creative DTC ecommerce marketing strategies.
- Ability to lead and develop a strong team and to build scale through partnerships and providers.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the maturity to quickly establish credibility and respect with a broad range of diverse business partners.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business, or related field.
- 6-8 years related experience.
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
To apply for this job please visit ecommercejobs.com.