MID-ATLANTIC – With more than 100 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We’re working with a confidential jewelry brand in its search for a Marketplace Channel Manager based in the Mid-Atlantic United States.
With nearly 300 employees, the client’s brand is very well established. The firm sources products from around the world — mostly jewelry, watches, handbags, walking sticks, collectible knives, accessories. For the most part, it’s a niche business selling to older men. The average customer is a 50/up male, buying gifts for their loved ones, and occasionally something for themselves.
This particular 50/up customer is affluent (good news), self-indulgent (more good news), and buys through direct mail. But that’s changing …
Currently, the client produces 14-16 different catalogs a year, mailing roughly nine million catalogs and 15 million pieces of direct mail. The company is very story-driven in how it sells product. Just the way the customer likes it — and which is where you come in. The customer’s LTV is excellent and the repeat buyer file is quite robust.
The firm has carved out an excellent niche and has roughly 3 million customers in its database — a hefty percentage of which buy from the client regularly. The client does much of its cross-selling / up-selling in its own call center where many of its inbound callers are converted to its Buyers Club. In their current media plan, remnant advertising is a pretty big deal, as is direct mail.
But there’s always the potential for channel shift.
2020 (remember that?) showed that there’s tons of untapped potential for this client’s ecommerce business — especially on third-party markets like Amazon. As a critical part of the client’s ecommerce team, you will be charged with taking the firm’s 3P channels to the next level.
Currently, the firm sells FBA on Amazon’s marketplace, and it’s constantly evaluating new suppliers to broaden its product selection on Amazon and expand to additional online marketplaces (Walmart, Target, Ebay, Overstock, etc.). To win in this role, the company will expect you to have a track record of success in 3P markets, as well as a proven playbook of strategies that will help you hit the ground running.
You need to be a self-starter who can both get things done on your own while identifying and partnering with the right resources, both internally and externally. You’ll be responsible for a wide-ranging host of responsibilities, including inventory management and forecasting; listing creation and SEO optimization; catalog cleanup of existing listings; channel cleanup and brand protection; online advertising program management; and product ratings and reviews.
At the end of 100 days, we’ll know you’ve made a difference if …
- You have evaluated the firm’s current Amazon-related processes and gotten buy-in from the rest of the organization regarding how to improve them.
- You have leveraged your analytics chops to evaluate and improve the firm’s advertising spend and product selection on all relevant 3P markets.
- You have developed a teachable POV on the firm’s 3P merch selection, answering questions like, “Where do we go from here? What is the process for figuring out which items should be sold on Amazon? For how much? What’s the best way to manage that inventory? Are these products in growth mode? Decline? What’s the purpose of the channel? Etc.”
You won’t believe how much we know about this search!
We spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every 3P marketplace job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score as the firm’s new Marketplace Channel Manager.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Define marketplace processes and execution of day-to-day tasks
- Data analysis and reporting will be critical
- Influence decisions related to inventory management and forecasting;
- Listing creation and SEO optimization
- Existing catalog cleanup and listing cleanup;
- Advertising program management on the platform;
- Product ratings and reviews;
- Ensure that all Amazon problems are managed and opportunities are realized
- Test and improve the efficiency of sponsored product and brand ads.
- Exploration and implementation of alternative marketplaces (eg. eBay, Walmart, etc.)
- 1-2 years of experience with marketplace seller account management (Amazon, Walmart, eBay, etc.)
- Can-do attitude and team-centric
- Strong passion and drive to succeed
- Demonstrable ability to multi-task and adhere to deadlines
- Well-organized with a customer-oriented approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Hands-on experience in managing marketplace accounts
- 4-year College Degree in Business is preferred
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
To apply for this job please visit ecommercejobs.com.