MID-ATLANTIC – With more than 100 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest email marketing jobs around!
ALLAN’S COMMENTS: We’re working with a confidential jewelry brand in its search for an Email Marketing Manager. This position will be remote with some travel to the corporate office each quarter.
With nearly 300 employees, the client’s brand is very well established. The firm sources products from around the world — mostly jewelry, watches, handbags, walking sticks, collectible knives, accessories. For the most part, it’s a niche business selling to older men. The average customer is a 50/up male, buying gifts for their loved ones, and occasionally something for themselves.
This particular 50/up customer is affluent (good news), self-indulgent (more good news), and buys through direct mail. But that’s changing …
Currently, the client produces 14-16 different catalogs a year, mailing roughly nine million catalogs and 15 million pieces of direct mail. The company is very story-driven in how it sells product. Just the way the customer likes it — and which is where you come in. The customer’s LTV is excellent and the repeat buyer file is quite robust.
The firm has carved out an excellent niche and has roughly 2 million customers in its database — a decent percentage of which buy from the client regularly. The client does much of its cross-selling / up-selling in its own call center where many of its inbound callers are converted to its Buyers Club. In their current media plan, remnant advertising is a pretty big deal, as is direct mail.
But there’s always the potential for channel shift.
The company’s business is not in decline — but there’s loads of untapped potential for them to grow their ecommerce business. The same can be said for all players in this category: Currently, only 8% of the US jewelry sales happen online, lagging far behind retail and direct marketing. No single player enjoys a runaway first-mover advantage, and category-wide, total sales are flat.
Overall, the client’s business would benefit from more a sophisticated digital communications strategy — and there is a fantastic opportunity for this hire to expand and grow their Email Marketing efforts as a main driver of this.
Given that the company launches +12 products a month, you’ll find it useful that the firm’s direct mail mentality lends itself easily to multi-channel, multi-device, multi-step demand creation. Everyone on the firm’s management team understands the mechanics of a great offer (headline, subhead, USP, risk-reversal, testimonials, sense of urgency, etc.).
To win in this role, you’ll need to effectively lead the Email Contact Strategy, Segmentation and Subscriber Growth, along with developing an Automation Strategy. We’re looking for someone who can lead and manage the concept creation process, creating compelling storylines around the brand, category and product. You’ll be expected to partner with the Creative team on campaign design and perform/coordinate execution through the Email Channel.
If you have experience leading the Organic side of Social this can also be incorporated into this position.
The firm’s business model is really unique, and there’s really nobody else in the jewelry business that’s doing something similar. Other than independent brick-and-mortar retailers, our client doesn’t have a direct competitor focusing on 50-plus-year-old guys, which is the biggest income group in the country and HATES shopping in stores.
However, there are many opportunities for them to use segmentation and automation to target other demographics and identify other groups in their database that are just as valuable if targeted with the right message at the right time. There are also other areas of the business that are extremely high touch with their most valuable customers that they feel a personalized Email program could help grow.
The firm sources its own products, and they deal directly with manufacturers all over the world. These folks understand the sourcing vagaries of the jewelry world and their products are priced well, well, below their luxury competitors. They’ve got the “luxury for less, bargains for millionaires” thing nailed down to a tee. With that being said they’re lacking the ability to bring a personalized message digitally to the right customer at the right time.
Candidates, you need to bring the creative ability to tell a GREAT story and know how to use email to engage and reengage. However, you also need to have an analytical bias and bring the ability to run this channel like your own little business inside the company.
This channel is the number one revenue-driving channel online and has a tremendous amount of opportunity to scale. You’ll need to define the Email Strategy and execute it. This includes developing the calendar, content/message, imagery (design will help with this but you need to know what you need), segmentation, automation, and reporting. The channel will be run by you end to end.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search!
We spent a ton of time on the phone with this client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things we can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. All email marketing jobs have these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard email marketing jobs posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score as the firm’s new Marketplace Channel Manager.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this email marketing job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 50 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the link when you apply below for this and other email marketing jobs.
- Own, manage, execute and analyze all email
- Achieve demand sales growth goals while maximizing marketing contribution
- Develop marketing objectives and promotional strategy for all email marketing initiates to drive response and revenue while being true to the brand
- Identify, develop, schedule, execute and merchandize campaign strategies to engage customers, build awareness, and increase conversions
- Schedule and coordinate all marketing email efforts with creative/merchandising departments and other stakeholders
- Execute all email communications, assuring accuracy and all deadlines are met
- Direct workflow and ensure copy, image, and video content aligns with overall brand positioning strategy
- Generate, analyze, and effectively communicate response analysis and productivity reporting
- Develop and execute subscriber growth plans
- Develop and implement test strategies via email and organic social channels, test, implement and maximize ROI
- Manage digital content strategy as it relates to Email including creation process, scheduling and execution
- Facilitate intra, inter, and vendor partner collaboration/communication.
- If you have experience also running the organic social strategy in conjunction to the email strategy/calendar that would be a highly preferred skillset BUT not a must-have.
- Execute email deliveries via ESP platform
- Develop email segmentation and content strategy, coordinating campaigns closely with Creative, Merchandising, and Operations team members to set direction, develop campaign concepts, and assure proper execution while maintaining the overarching brand image.
- Monitor campaign performance and develop performance reports (Google Analytics, ESP platform insights and various social listening tools)
- Develop and distribute accurate reporting, communicating results organizationally
- Manage vendor relationships and processes
- Depending on experience, the Organic Social Strategy could be this hire’s responsibility and/or a place this hire can grow into.
- 3-5 years of experience managing B2C email programs at retailer or agency
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in areas of Marketing, Advertising, Communications, or other relevant fields.
- Self-starter that possesses the ability to multi-task and execute goals efficiently
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Superior record of achievement on an ongoing basis, as demonstrated by consistent ability to achieve stated goals.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills, including the demonstrated ability to develop strategic marketing plans and integrated campaigns
- Ability to build strong cross-departmental relationships
- Ability to present concepts effectively and influence decisions at all levels of the organization
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with staff, peers and supervisor (including well-developed listening skills).
- Capable of working in a fast-paced, results-driven environment.
- HTML experience is very helpful.