METRO DETROIT – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest email marketing jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with an industry leading client in its search for an Email Marketing Manager based in metro Detroit.
Since 1969, the company has brought the experience of collecting art to more than two million collectors worldwide. Headquartered in an actual museum, the firm’s mission is to foster an entertaining and educational relationship with humanity that ignites a passion for the arts and offers an incomparable collecting experience.
And they do a great job.
About the Role
The company seeks a world-class Email Manager to develop and drive its email channel. As the exclusive dealer for hundreds of renowned artists, the client is able to offer artwork acquired directly from the artists’ studios and/or estates. You’ll be surrounded by TONS of Instagrammable stuff and have no shortage of amazing inside stories to share about your artists, their lives, and their work.
You’ll be like a kid in a candy store.
Reporting the firm’s CMO, it will fall to YOU to engage, convert and build the brand through email. That means leading email content and editorial, which will require you to have somewhat sophisticated tastes and a high standard of what a refined, aspirational email program should look like.
It’d help if you already know what wonderful emails look like.
Personally, I like what HODINKEE is doing, but there are plenty of great emails from architecture, automotive, and elsewhere. I’m a watch guy. Obviously, you should take inspiration from publications like ARTnews, Apollo, and Aesthetica. But it doesn’t really matter. The point is to be inspired.
(Because if you’re not inspired, how can you produce something inspiring?)
You’ll oversee the editorial, curation, production, and distribution of emails designed to interest and engage your subscribers while giving them exposure to the artwork that speaks to their tastes and goals as collectors.
Here’s your chance to get involved with the arts.
The idea here is that you will oversee all-things-email, from 1/ automated customer support emails, to 2/ welcome emails, 3/ repeat customer promotions, 4/ re-engagement emails and 5/ newsletters. The client’s website does not (yet) have a shopping cart, but the idea is that people see a piece they like and reach out to the client’s contact center.
In the pre-owned watch business, there’s an old saying “Buy the seller, not the watch.”
There’s an element of that here. All selling is the transfer of confidence, and the twin engines of buyer confidence are trust and credibility. Some of the client’s paintings cost many thousands of dollars, so trust is a big deal.
After all, curation is always about surprise and delight.
To win in this role, we’ll expect you to treat your list like it’s one person you love and give your subscribers great reasons to stay engaged. It’s all about making them feel better about themselves because of their relationship with your brand.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every email marketing job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard email marketing job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this email marketing job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT my partner, Allan Seibert, at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Allan will be taking the lead on this search.
- Formulate the client’s email marketing strategy
- Communicate and lead the execution of the firm’s email marketing strategy
- Develop email audience segments, cadences, and KPIs to measure success
- Work across creative, content, and IT teams to build, execute, and measure compelling emails
- Create and maintain the email marketing calendar
- Research and implement email best practices; test new ideas with regularity
- Conduct regular A/B email tests working closely with marketing, content, and IT teams
- Minimum 4 years managing end-to-end email marketing operations generating at least $5M in revenue annually
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, or business preferred.
- Experience building, running and analyzing sophisticated email segment campaigns
- Proven track record for setting email strategy and working across teams to achieve results
- Experience running A/B tests utilizing industry best practice ideas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills to understand, improve, and optimize email performance
- 5+ years experience in combined Email and digital marketing
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS is preferred
- Ability to lead change and achieve results working across teams
- Functional experience in at least one key ESP platform (Silverpop, Cheetah, Adobe, Salesforce, etc)
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities based on organizational needs
- In-depth knowledge of email best practices
- Willingness to test, fail and learn
- Innovative thought leader within email and digital marketing