SOUTHEAST USA – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the NRF, IR-1000, B2B, and Private Equity communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
ALLAN’S COMMENTS: We are working with a large omnichannel retailer in its search for a Director of Digital Marketing based in the Southeastern United States. We were engaged for this search by the firm’s new head of Marketing — whom we know from previous experience is a total A-player.
About the Company
As an innovator in the footwear trade for more than 100 years, our client offers a wide selection of famous footwear brands for women, men, and kids. The firm’s selection covers the athletic (60%), comfort, dress, and casual categories — and its superior customer service, convenience, and value position it for future growth.
How many pairs of shoes do you own? Several, probably. Like everyone.
In the last few years, increasing disposable income and ecommerce sales have driven growth in the footwear market — fueled by higher AOVs and SKUs spanning a wide range of price points. Having said that, more retailers have entered the industry, especially online.
As a result, operators are forced to compete on the basis of price and oftentimes cut prices or offer promotions to attract customers and remain competitive. Regardless: Through 2024, IBIS World expects the footwear market to reach $101 billion, as shoe prices increase and higher quality merch is rolled out.
About the Role
Last year, the client’s business reached nine figures, and the plan is for YOU to lead digital marketing for it this year. The company has a new head of marketing, which honestly — we’ve worked with some bright folks before, but this lady really knew her stuff during our 68-minute kickoff call. She knew every KPI and understood every strength, weakness, opportunity, and threat.
It was super refreshing.
In this role, you will oversee the development, execution, and evolution of the organization’s digital marketing strategy to drive audience and visitor growth and engagement. Beyond SEO, SEM/PPC, and social media, you’ll own an email strategy joined at the hip with the client’s CRM function. Basically, it’ll fall to you to drive MORE and BETTER new traffic to the site while the CRM team takes the lead on loyalty, retention, and reactivation.
NOTE: Eventually, relocation will be required, but for now the client will be flexible about the timing. If you need 3-6 months to get your affairs in order, no problem. Let’s discuss.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 50 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Allan Seibert, at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- 5+ years digital marketing and eCommerce experience in a fast-paced, goal-driven environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent years of experience.
- Strong management experience, with proven ability to set clear expectations.
- Proven success at developing digital marketing tactics driven by analytics to achieve specific and measurable goals.
- Expertise in Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Adobe and business intelligence tools.
- Demonstrable experience leading marketing automation campaigns.
- Thorough understanding of eCommerce marketing, including search engine optimization,
- keyword bidding and online tracking systems.
- Highly organized and proactive, with the ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and
- projects at a time and deliver within deadlines.
- Solid understanding of relevant KPIs along with the tools needed to measure and analyze
- campaign performance. Strong analytical skills are essential.
- Dedication to maximizing opportunities for access, diversity, and inclusion within the digital
- marketing environment.
- Optimize each stage of our demand generation and customer journey touchpoints through data
- analysis across paid, owned and earned marketing channels in order to provide best in class
- end-to-end digital experiences.
- Brainstorm, validate, test and refine customer acquisition initiatives utilizing A/B split testing to ensure ongoing improvements.
- Provides guidance to internal Marketing and Creative Services teams on development of effective creative from analyses of previous campaigns.
- Conduct regular and thorough analyses of top-performing vendors, targeting, and creative. Compile weekly/monthly reports summarizing performance across agencies and channels for the marketing team
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills; Strong interpersonal, verbal and written skills
- Detail-oriented self-starter, proficient at managing multiple tasks at once and able to self- prioritize workload.
- Experience developing media plans, traffic sheets and media reports.
- Excellent understanding of digital media planning, implementation and optimizations.
- Articulate and can craft compelling media presentations and analyses, presenting these recommendations/findings to internal teams and executive leadership.
- Experience leveraging analytics to draw conclusions and influence existing and future media plans & creative executions.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills to work closely with and build relationships with internal Marketing and Creative teams as well as external agencies.
- Ability to work with multiple size budgets; Quick-thinking, creative, hands-on, stress-tolerant, problem-solver.
- Passion for the digital landscape (mobile, video, social, programmatic, email, web, etc.)
- Balance of a great creative eye with being detail-oriented and comfortable with analytics