WORK FROM HOME – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the NRF, IR-1000, and B2B communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
ALLAN’S COMMENTS: We are working with a midwest Sporting Goods Etailer in its search for a gritty, straight-shooting, action-oriented, all-over-the-details Director of Digital Marketing & Ecommerce. Although this role is 100% remote, the team is looking for someone to TAKE CHARGE of the firm’s DTC ecommerce and digital marketing.
About the Company
This is a fairly newish company (est. 2018) that has established itself as a highly differentiated online retailer for its sport — which is a $16 billion national pastime like football or basketball. The company has gained a ton of traction on Amazon, and now it’s time to build out DTC, with an emphasis on process-driven digital marketing.
The company is in a great position to do this.
The company has very strong vendor partnerships with super-strong brands. The firm has differentiated itself by taking advantage of several industry weaknesses — made possible by the fact that one of its founders played this sport in college while the other founder built (and exited) two successful ecom companies.
Today the client is the fastest-growing ecommerce equipment retailer on the web. Working exclusively with more than 20 of the industry’s most beloved equipment brands (like Adidas, Nike, Under Armour, and Oakley), the client markets exclusive products and bolts on a 6-month extended warranty for all merchandise.
Unheard of in this space.
As top sellers on Amazon, the client’s private label products offer its customers enhanced colorways, styles, and prints to better express themselves on the playing field, and the company has made end-of-cycle merchandise a cornerstone of its strategy — working with its brand partners to purchase almost all end-of-cycle SKUs.
This strategy has limited price competition and justified prices near original MSRP.
In addition to offering its customers a unique retail selection unavailable in traditional retail outlets, the company has signed an agreement with top equipment manufacturers to represent their media on various online platforms such as Amazon, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok and more.
About the Role
As the client’s new Director of Digital Marketing & Ecommerce, your job is to grow the business. Full stop. That means reviewing and auditing what the company is doing right (and wrong) in terms of its strategies, processes, tech stack, and talent stack. From there, you’ll build a roadmap to profitably grow the business.
Your TOP priority will be growing DTC dot-com channel.
You’ll work with the team that runs Amazon and other marketplaces, but at first, you will not own these channels. This is an opportunity to materially impact a highly promising start-up ecom business. You will own the strategy, but you MUST be able to roll up your sleeves and get stuff done on a Shopify platform.
There are a number of resources (internal and external) at your service, but you CANNOT be a hands-off leader. We need a player/coach who is not afraid to be measured on GROWTH vis-a-vis Traffic; Growth in 12-month file; Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC); and Lifetime Value (LTV).
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPIs that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you’ll keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Allan Seibert, at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Lead the company’s ecommerce D2C and Dot-com business strategy roadmap with a focus on capitalizing on short-term wins / optimizations AND creating long-term value propositions across the firm’s Dot-com channel.
- Sales planning and forecasting to meet the company’s financial and operational goals
- Oversee budget for key programs to maximize opportunities and ROI.
- Manage online campaigns across different channels to ensure program-specific ROI goals are met.
- Analyze and develop new online marketing relationships such as affiliate programs, link building, and other partnership / influencer opportunities.
- Experiment with natural and paid search methodologies; test and recommend optimal search engine optimization strategies through agency execution.
- Manage vendor and channel partner relationships.
- Manage internal direct reports, contractors, and outsourced freelancers — plus determine when and where to hire / outsource the right people.
- Develop a more defined retention program including list growth strategies, better segmentation, and more advanced automation.
- Continue optimization of the firm’s Site Experience and Merchandising best practices through better analysis and testing.
- Develop a more Centralized Analytics approach
Experience and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of Ecommerce and Digital Marketing experience
- Must have previous P&L ownership experience (or at minimum a deep involvement with).
- Experience managing an internal team
- Strong Agency management experience (audit, manage and selection process)
- Experience with all digital marketing channels (emphasis is on PPC, Paid Social, Email, Affiliate, and Influencer programs)
- Experience driving improvements to both national and local organic search
- Strong background in driving LTV through Email, SMS, CRM, Loyalty, etc.
- Analytics, testing, and site optimization experience is a must-have.
- Promote and execute best-of-breed online user experience methodologies that drive engagement and conversion.
- Previous ownership for Calculating ROI for each program and make recommendations based on results to increase sales, opt-ins, Average Order Size (AOS), Average Unit Sale (AUS), and repeat purchases.
- Must have a proven track record in running a successful ecommerce business that demonstrated significant year-over-year growth.
- BA/BS required — MBA preferred
- Experience working with a marketplace team to ensure similar messaging across different channels (your focus here is only on the Dot-com business)
- Sporting Goods or some type of hobbyist/enthusiast based experience
- Ecommerce retailer or reseller experience preferred over brand experience alone.
- Experience managing a site with a large SKU count and/or a number of categories/sub-categories/variations (client has over 2k SKUs)
- Strong personality. The owners are looking for someone who can tell them what needs to be done.
- Shopify, Klaviyo, and Google Analytics are tools they’d love to see on your resume.
- Marketplace knowledge (3P/1P) is a nice to have