ORANGE COUNTY – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the NRF, IR-1000, B2B, and private equity communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
ALL NEW: If you’d like to book a 1:1 coaching call with Harry Joiner, CLICK HERE.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
ALLAN’S COMMENTS: We are working with a SoCal designer and manufacturer of apparel in its search for a world-class Director of Digital Marketing, D2C Ecommerce based in always-sunny Orange County.
NOTE: THIS JOB IS ON-SITE FIVE DAYS PER WEEK! YOU MUST LIVE WITHIN COMMUTABLE DISTANCE OF ORANGE COUNTY FOR THIS TO BE A VIABLE CAREER OPTION FOR YOU.
About the Company
In an industry characterized by a sea of solids (golf wear), our client breaks free from the ordinary with its signature bold prints, vibrant colors, and eye-catching patterns. To see their shirts is to love them. At least if you’re a golfer.
Initially, the basic premise of the company was to develop shirts with personality, with each polo being made with the firm’s unique 4-way stretch fabric that provides moisture management, breathability, and UPF 40 sun protection for all-day comfort.
Golfers everywhere loved what they saw and felt.
And it didn’t hurt the brand that the brand’s shirts, often worn by the most fun-loving folks on the links, were basically walking advertisements for themselves. If you saw one of these shirts, you wanted one.
And the good news is …
Golf ain’t going anywhere. To an extent, golf industry growth is a function of growth in disposable income, which economists define as the rise in consumer confidence and the increasing number of households earning more than $100,000 that is expected over the coming years. That trend is positive.
About the Role
The client is looking for a proven A-player to professionalize and scale its business. This job is not a turnaround. There’s nothing in the woodpile. The company has a solid team and is doing a BUNCH of stuff right.
But it’s still in brash-young-upstart mode, and it’s eager to learn marketing best practices from a proven veteran: YOU.
Unlike most DTC firms, this client actually has a very solid brand biography and positioning statement, along with a comprehensive brand strategy guide that covers its …
- Brand Positioning
- Brand Personality (Jester archetype)
- Brand Manifesto
- Audience Archetypes
- Social Media Organization
- Competitive Analysis
At a high level, currently the brand appeals to the more light-hearted golfer — a weekend warrior who’s usually less concerned with the number on his scorecard than having fun on the links. These are the guys/gals who are usually willing to take risks with their wardrobes.
Traditionally, these golfers have walked into a golf pro shop and seen a “sea of solids,” apparel that neither 1/ inspired them to PLAY, nor 2/compelled them to BUY.
This merch is for playas who want to dress like they’re having a fun time. And while the company’s shirts are great fun — not enough is made of the product’s extremely high quality. You’ll need to remedy that.
Today, the brand gets most of its business through its direct-to-consumer ecom store. Additionally, the company has a mobile app and an Instagram shop. They don’t sell on Amazon, nor do they particularly want to.
The company takes pride in its DTC customer experience and does its own fulfillment to make sure the customer’s unboxing experience is excellent. On occasion, the CS team even includes handwritten notes on orders to repeat customers.
But they’d like to do that for every order.
Currently, 90% of the firm’s customer acquisition comes from Facebook and Instagram. They’d like to spread that spend around. To do that, Management is looking for a proven ecom leader with a mile-wide creative streak to help the team develop hot new creative as well as content that converts.
In this role, you will develop and test a constant flow of new ads, particularly on Facebook and Instagram. According to the firm’s CEO, “The company has a huge need right now for fresh ad content and unique ideas. We need someone who has a PROCESS for that …”
“… Additionally, we’re underperforming on Google ads, particularly on branded search, and we need to level up on TikTok. Better creative could help there, too.”
The firm’s ecommerce platform is Shopify, and its marketing organization consists of a Creative Director, two photographers, a graphic designer, and a product designer (who also handles email marketing) — as well as a social media team including a videographer and two social media managers.
In this role, you will lead all things Facebook, plus you’ll deeply influence organic social, email / SMS, influencer and brand ambassadors, and paid social (from a strategic and creative standpoint). Meanwhile, the firm’s CEO will retain control over paid media, the tactical day-to-day of which will remain in the care of an agency.
The company has 8 figures in sales, yet it remains scrappy.
To whit: The firm’s founder has been handling analytics, but we’d love for this new hire to get involved in analytics. The company uses Triple Whale and post-purchase surveys for attribution.
At the end of the day, we are looking for a proven DTC ecom marketing leader with very strong experience in paid advertising (on both Google and Meta), while continuing to develop those Facebook ad concepts.
To be successful in this role, you must be uniquely creative in terms of brand positioning and advertising ideas while being able to reach a broad audience with consistent positioning across all channels.
The firm has not yet had a true omnichannel marketing strategy, and the team lacks a process for freshening up its creative for each new product launch. We need you to get involved there.
The company is doing FOUR times as many releases as any major apparel brand, so releases are extremely important because they do a ton of them: This is about building a machine that can make every launch exciting while driving engagement because the team is doing 12-16 launches per year (not just 2-4).
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPIs that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you’ll keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Allan Seibert, at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Development and constant optimization of the Digital Marketing Strategy while maintaining a focus on the brand
- Ownership of the Performance Marketing Strategy including Paid Social, Influencer, Paid Search, Shopping/PMax, etc
- Ownership of the Retention Strategy including Email, SMS, Loyalty, etc
- Management of a small team, vendors, and agencies.
- Development of a more sophisticated approach towards web analytics
- Involvement with the expansion of our partnerships (individual and league partnerships)
- Responsibility for forecasting and optimizing the Digital Spend
- Identify opportunities for new collaborations.
- Management as a hands-on leader. We’re looking for a strategist who can help shape the roadmap but who is still able and willing to roll up their sleeves.
- Growth, Growth, Growth! The success of this role will be based on the growth you create to the acquisition, retention and engagement channels.
- 6+ years of Digital Marketing experience in a D2C Ecommerce environment
- MUST have Apparel, Fashion OR Lifestyle product experience
- Experience owning and optimizing Paid Media channels for maximum ROI (SEM, PPC, Retargeting, Paid Social, Performance Max, Display, etc)
- Proven track record creating a strategy for Social Media including Organic Social, Paid Social, and Influencer Marketing. You’ll need to have a track record of monetizing this channel!
- Previous experience and proven growth to retention-based KPIs. You need to have significant experience with Email, SMS, and Loyalty. You need to be able to discuss successes with repeat purchases.
- Experience developing creative advertising strategies and concepts. (ie, someone who’s been on the creative side of media)
- Experience using Web Analytics to identify and take advantage of opportunities with the mentioned channels.
- Previous experience managing teams, vendors and agencies
- We’re looking for a leader and a strategist but you need to be a hands on in the weeds “player-coach”
- Experience managing digital budgets of 200k+ per month
- Growth, Growth, Growth! Your resume should highlight your success in driving revenue through an optimized digital strategy!