VISTA, CA – With more than 100 ecommerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based recruiting firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Sound United in its search for a Director of Ecommerce based in Vista, CA. You can see this job posted elsewhere online, but you can only get the massive intel pack for this search right here [see below].
For now, here’s what I can share with you …
Sound United is one of the coolest companies you probably already love (but didn’t know it). Employing 1,000+ associates in 20 locations globally, the firm designs, manufactures, and markets some of the most beloved audio brands in the world.
Sound United’s strategic objectives include:
- Grow the core by strengthening brand position, leveraging global size and scale, and building the opportunity for the firm’s customers to buy more than one audio product.
- Aggressively increase sales by becoming the leader in “best-in-class” soundbars while leveraging the brand portfolio to include differentiated, value-added price tiers.
- Pursue innovations centered on wireless and voice that leverage the firm’s acoustic design capabilities and reputation.
- Build on customer satisfaction as a reliable indicator for improving performance while creating a single global culture and operating model that helps the firm attract, develop, retain and reward great talent.
About the Market
The global market for audio gear is massive (retail / wholesale, B2B, government, education, military, etc), so it’s pointless to break down the entire market opportunity for Sound United. However, here’s what I can tell you about the size and scope of the U.S. retail market as it pertains to this role.
Driven by growth in disposable income and housing, the Retail Market for Audio Equipment is expected to grow through 2024 by 3.1% per year to $26.8 billion.
According to IBIS World, the number of households is estimated to increase to 128 million, representing a consumer base ripe for new audio equipment such as surround-sound systems or soundbars for their new homes. Adding fuel to the fire, disposable income, which has risen over the past five years and is expected to accelerate.
More good news: New technologies bring new opportunities.
As audio equipment has improved, it has become compatible with other devices. Bluetooth-enabled speakers now have the ability to connect with smartphones and computers as streaming services are everywhere.
Meanwhile, the rise in ecommerce has led to a dramatic increase in audio equipment e-tailers. Both disposable income and online sales are projected to increase through 2024, especially as online retailers make buying audio equipment increasingly convenient and affordable.
About the Role
This is a unique role for a proven entrepreneurial leader who wants an opportunity to lead a startup within a world leader in premium and luxury audio. Jobs like this don’t grow on trees.
Despite having roughly 1 million customer connections (and adding 700K /year) Sound United does not have a DTC business. As such, the firm seeks an entrepreneurial leader to own the digital strategy and P&L for its seven brands: Denon, Marantz, Polk Audio, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Boston Acoustics and Classe.
Personally, I’d freaking love this job.
Can you imagine geeking out with Sound United’s latest audio gear before it hits the market? (Can you imagine getting to MARKET it?) Man, that’d be heaven. Check out Polk Audio’s new Legend series of speakers, believed by some experts to be the best Polk’s ever made.
Your job will be simple but not easy: To own the digital experience for all the brands including lead generation, onsite experience, conversion, analytics and CRM. As of right now, Sound United’s websites are a mixture of transactional ecommerce and non-transactional brand sites.
As the firm’s new Director of Ecommerce, you’ll develop a strategy to upgrade the site experience and build out a direct to consumer ecommerce business for all brands, across all channels. This is a major growth vector for Sound United and an opportunity to make one hell of an impact in a very short period of time.
Reporting directly to Sound United’s new Global Head of Commercial Operations, you’ll collaborate closely with marketing, technology and the new product development teams, as well as partner with third parties to deliver a best in class digital experience.
Winning in this role will require you to create and drive best-in-class omnichannel shopping experiences and online marketing programs for Sound United’s customers as they traverse devices and destinations.
The management team will look to YOU to develop and implement new channel sales and business development initiatives, and they’ll expect you to understand the nuances of realizing a regional strategy within the context of the global organization.
NOTE: To get this job, you MUST have a track record of delivering strong P&L growth within the context of a complicated omnichannel ecommerce business. We’re looking for an experienced team leader who inspires an organization with energy, drive and enthusiasm towards the future of the industry and the business.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
I spent a ton of time on the phone with the client teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. My industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT me, Harry Joiner, at (404) 281-2025 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Build out the digital experience for all the brands, globally, owning the P&L for eCommerce sales
- Drive the strategy and execution across all the digital marketing channels, including paid and natural search, affiliates, comparison shopping engines, paid social, email and other forms of web marketing.
- Plan and implement innovative online marketing campaigns to maximize demand and ROI, while testing and learning through new channels and approaches.
- Lead, mentor, build and manage a global team of ecommerce team members to achieve successful profit and revenue outcomes for all of Sound United’s brands.
- Ensure site performance & key metrics are understood and web demand by product & category is tracked to make the necessary adjustments to the e-merchandising plan.
- Function as an internal ecommerce and customer champion of integrated commerce strategy and a change management business leader for Sound United’s brands.
- Serve as the executive sponsor for ecommerce and digital process innovation. Research and integrate new and cutting-edge web tools with established strategies to maximize campaign efforts.
- Utilize web analytics, customer feedback and A/B testing methodologies to define the online and integrated commerce customer experience and provide insights to improve and develop new strategy and programs.
- Effectively co-manage and/or influence vendor relationships to drive online conversion through site merchandising strategies and personalization.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to drive ecommerce & customer cross channel results and share insights across the organization.
- Establish key partnerships with IT and Supply Chain to develop the technology and operational solutions required to serve the consumer and business needs for websites and mobile apps
- 8+ years leading a DTC ecommerce business, with oversight over all aspects; front end planning, marketing, merchandising through inventory, warehouse, pick, pack and shipping.
- 10+ years of experience managing a data-informed, customer-centric, DTC business that has met corporate and financial goals by implementing innovative and creative strategies and tactics.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership skills as a self-starter, roll-up sleeves and get it done attitude as well as the ability to develop and motivate a team in a dynamic environment; Proven track record of gaining credibility and garnering respect to achieve desired outcomes amongst staff, peers and management.
- Experience re-platforming or building out new digital sites. Experience with the Sitecore platform preferred, but not required.
- Strong analytical capabilities and experience using Google Analytics, Sitecore analytics, [list the ESP analytics] and running a multi-million-dollar digital marketing budget.
- Knowledge of and comfortable with daily data use and implementing changes from insights; customer, web analytics, media and email analytics, usability, customer acquisition and retention marketing, digital channels such as paid search, search engine optimization, social and mobile and other critical online marketing tools and techniques.
- A “digital citizen” who is adept at using social media, mobile devices, apps and/or tablets as a consumer and as a professional.
Education: BA or BS from an accredited university. MBA a plus
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Harry Joiner. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Harry for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.
To apply for this job please visit ecommercejobs.com.