METRO HOUSTON – With more than 100 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here.
(Simply unsubscribe at the end of your ecommerce job search.)
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with Academy Sports + Outdoors in their search for a Director of Omnichannel based in truly affordable Katy, Texas, just 30 minutes from downtown Houston (where it almost never snows) and 90 minutes to Galveston beach.
About the Company
The concept behind Academy Sports + Outdoors is simple: Make it easy for everyone to enjoy more sports and outdoors. Period. A typical Academy store carries a wide range of hunting, fishing and camping equipment, patio sets and barbecue grills, along with sports and recreation products, at everyday low prices.
Ever been to one of Academy’s 250+ stores? A 20-minute visit might cost you two hours because you’ll simply lose track of the time. In a good way.
This spring I wandered into my local Academy for a slingshot. An hour later, slingshot in tow, I’d also grabbed a jump rope — evidently, for the same reason people climb Mount Everest: Because it was there. Two hours later I had firmly secured bragging rights for the summer by shellacking my 12-year-old daughter in a jump roping contest in our driveway.
But I digress.
We have recruited for Academy before and it’s a hoot. These folks are always looking for resourceful, business-oriented problem solvers who will try new things and lead by example. Academy’s customer-centric culture is all about teamwork and inclusivity, and going the extra mile for the customer will ensure that you go far in your career.
About the Role
Reporting to Academy’s VP of Ecommerce, we’re looking for a proven, low maintenance rising star who understands margin, profitability, forecasting, inventory management and can lead / influence a first-rate ecommerce team in a way that’s analytically biased — yet inspiring.
This job is primarily about CX, UX, merchandising, personalization, and improving conversions. While you can’t be ignorant of SEO, email, and affiliate best practices, this is more of an “owned media” role in which you’ll be charged with developing and driving Academy.com’s data activation and personalization strategy.
You’ll be working with marketers on the content for that strategy, videos, and then executing against it. You’ll also be expected to have a major impact on web design, homepage updates, customer data capture, technology integration, product development, landing experiences, and more.
Yes, sporting goods is a competitive category.
But man! What a great time to be in that business! According to IBIS World Research, two major tailwinds support this industry’s growth:
- Per capita disposable income: Demand for sporting goods and equipment is driven by the relative income that consumers can allocate toward such expenditures. Per capita disposable income is expected to increase in the future, representing an opportunity for the industry.
- Participation in sports: As the sports participation rate increases, more consumers will require athletic footwear, apparel and sporting goods, which stimulates industry revenue growth. Like so …
This is a VERY high profile job. We’re looking for someone who is …
Optimistic, meaning … You usually wake up happy and have an uplifting demeanor. You approach new tasks with eagerness, and you almost always find something good to say even in a bad situation. You look forward to the future and move in a purposeful way.
Proactive, meaning … You’re a rational A-player who thinks before acting. You have strong foresight and are typically able to see how things are interconnected. You’re great at prioritizing and can think on your feet, too.
Analytical, meaning … You love running experiments and can be found reading up on new topics to gain a better understanding of them. You love posing theories and attempting to prove them, and you’re always digging deeper for patterns and cause/effect relationships.
Organized, meaning … It’s your nature to schedule events in advance and co-workers describe you as detail-oriented. You have great time management skills, partially because you can anticipate setbacks and difficulties. You’re a “list person” who can keep to a schedule without being married to it. You tend to think sequentially (in terms of steps), and you often find yourself thinking “We need a process for this!”
Confident, meaning … You tend to walk with purpose and meet challenges head-on. You’ll always try new things, yet you’re humble enough to learn from failure. You’ve got a great work ethic and you know how to “work a building.”
You won’t believe how much we know about this search!
Allan Seibert and I spent a ton of time with Academy’s hiring committee teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every ecommerce job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day/week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard ecommerce jobs posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score as Academy’s new Director of Omnichannel.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this ecommerce job.
I have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Recommend and implement technical and non-technical strategies and initiatives that will drive traffic, conversion, retention, revenue, and profitability.
- Support the omnichannel strategy by creating a seamless and integrated customer experience across the firm’s digital platforms (desktop, tablet, mobile) and brick and mortar locations.
- Oversee digital marketing strategy for owned channels (e.g., web, email, affiliate, SEO).
- Use data analytics to track performance to goals and benchmarks and identify opportunities for business development across segments of the Company.
- Oversee website operations team responsible for day to day site management reflecting new offers, dates and other content to ensure executional excellence and seamless integration with creative, merchandising and marketing teams.
- Partner with Marketing to develop, implement, and/or optimize effective online campaigns, digital marketing, and social media strategies that drive traffic, increase conversion, and expand sales both online and in-store.
- Partner with Merchandising to deliver robust online experiences that showcase the firm’s assortment, ensure effective on-site merchandising to drive sales and deliver online-only assortments
- Partner cross-functionally to develop a robust content strategy to support the firm’s brand and create an engaging online experience.
- Develop specific product, category and how-to content with a mind on customer need and SEO effectiveness.
- Drive site personalization and segmentation strategy to create a relevant, value-added, personal, and engaging customer experience.
- Meet financial objectives through annual budget preparation and ongoing forecasting and results analysis. Oversee regular reporting of KPIs by various divisions of ecommerce department.
- Build, manage, and maintain relationships with third parties, vendors, and online partners. Keep up to date with evolving online media and technology trends, and explore new and effective products or enhancements that will improve the site experience and generate revenue and profits.
- Develop standards for navigation and establish best practices across merchandising teams.
- Direct the activities of a web analytics function accountable for delivering critical insights to the organization based on the analysis of web and business KPIs.
- Stay current on the latest trends in web measurement strategies and tactics.
- Ensure that analyses remain responsive to current user practices and emerging technologies.
- Develop a thorough understanding of Academy policies, procedures, and safety rules
- Duties may change; team member may be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Online Retailing, Information Systems or similar field of study required. (Master of Business Administration preferred with a focus in Marketing or similar)
- 7+ years’ experience working in a similar role
- Experience building a team of digital/ecommerce experts
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to develop effective relationships and partnerships with internal/external business partners at all levels of the organization
- Ability to develop and drive a team or people leaders
- Thoughtful and innovative thinker with excellent problem-solving skills who can execute solutions
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage change while still maintaining careful attention to detail and follow-through
- Highly analytical with an attention to detail, while also having a customer-centric focus
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Proven track record of hiring, building and managing a high performing marketing and analytics team
- Capable of interacting with multiple levels within an organization and communicating company goals to external organizations.
Applications for this ecommerce job are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.