DULUTH, GA – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest Atlanta ecommerce jobs around!
HARRY’S COMMENTS: We are working with LightsOnline in their search for a Director of Ecommerce based in Duluth, GA — just 45 minutes north of Atlanta …
As a family-owned business with a 45-year history, Progressive Lighting has a national reputation for stylish and unique lighting fixtures, superior value, and unparalleled customer service. In addition to its 400,000 square foot distribution facility, the firm operates 15 retail locations in Georgia, Texas, and North Carolina, under both the Progressive Lighting and Lee Lighting brand names.
As Progressive Lighting’s flagship online retail store, LightsOnline has been lighting homes for more than 10 years, offering consumers a full catalog of elegant, high-quality lighting and accessories for the home. With central distribution from Duluth, Georgia, LightsOnline’s products include entry lighting, chandeliers, bath lighting solutions, wall sconces, ceiling lighting and ceiling fans, pendants, and island lighting.
About the Market
The lighting industry is massive. So massive, in fact, that it doesn’t do much good to know the exact size of it ($1.8b annually). As Warren Buffett says, “I don’t need to know how much a lady weighs to tell if she’s fat.” And so it is with lighting. Between the retail and wholesale markets / DIY and DIFM, the lighting market is a mother.
Having closed several lighting searches, I know there are several lighting etailers doing $50+ million in sales with far fewer resources than LightsOnline. The real issue isn’t the size / addressability / attractiveness of the industry, but rather the drivers of retail lighting purchases. Are those drivers up, down, or sideways?
There’s a million ways to slice and dice the lighting market.
Consider the remodeling segment: When people remodel, one of the first things they invest in is new lighting. Big opportunity. According to HomeAdvisor’s 2018 True Cost Report, a lack of housing inventory, inflated home prices, and rising mortgage rates are driving more homeowners to renovate their existing homes instead of selling and moving. Just look at what’s happened to Home Depot this year.
Buoyed by rising wages and employment, plus a tax cut, all of which have translated into disposable-income gains, consumers are spending again with more abandon than they have in years.
More than 80% of homeowners plan to remain in their homes, and HALF plan to do at least some remodeling. That’s roughly 50 million homes. The HomeAdvisor report found that homeowners spent an average of $6,649 on home improvements between March 2017 and March 2018, and they plan to spend at least as much in the next 12 months. If lighting is just 10% of that spend, you’re looking at an outlay of $665 per homeowner. That’s insane!
Something else to ponder …
These days millennials are more likely than other generations to take on remodeling projects. Many millennials who bought their first home since 2010 are looking to make improvements, as they likely purchased an older home now in need of an update.
What does that mean for LightsOnline?
It means the market is brisk and it’s crawling with digital natives. Of course, you’ll need to understand the particulars of how millennials relate to the category, but because Progressive Lighting is a direct importer of 60% of what it sells online, you’ll have plenty of margin to work with as you grow the business. Plus you’ll have an opportunity to leverage Progressive Lighting’s private label.
Broadly speaking, this will be your business to run.
This position requires a proven track record of leading and evolving ecommerce businesses by driving innovation in technology and user experience, employing effective traffic-driving tactics and campaigns, creating engaging on-site content and merchandising, and working through partnerships across brands, functions, and agencies.
The thing about the lighting category is that online lighting purchases are “high involvement” for consumers yet involve both logic and emotion. Very often consumers will buy lighting for emotional reasons and then use “logic” to justify their decisions to themselves and others.
Obviously, EVERY aspect of your digital presence must reflect that.
On a typical day you will be leveraging back-end support teams within the corporate shared services functions that span planning, inventory monitoring and management, customer service, creative, IT, and marketing.
As Atlanta ecommerce jobs go, this one is amazing.
YOU will set the strategy based on WHO the slamdunk customer is; HOW they think; HOW they research and buy lighting; WHAT they are searching for; HOW they make their decisions; WHAT biases they have as to how they make those decisions (logic vs emotion / single touch vs multi-touch, etc); WHAT devices they use; WHAT dimensions of your vendors’ brands must be featured; and MORE.
Look, here’s the $64 question: CAN YOU GROW AN ECOMMERCE BUSINESS?
It’s an honest question. Progressive Lighting is a $100 million vertically integrated business with 15 stores. It’s a private label supplier to Amazon. These people absolutely know what they’re doing. This situation is neither a workout nor a turnaround. LightsOnline is simply a great little ecommerce business that needs to be professionalized.
The business is in good shape in terms of talent and technology. Granted, the team probably needs to be reorganized — but they have blessed this posting and welcome your leadership. The firm’s Management is committed 100% to ecommerce, and they have the money to grow the business. But they don’t have the patience to go down rabbit holes.
Can you blame them?
Your job is to take an analytically rigorous look at what’s working, … what’s not working, … what seems to be working for the company’s competitors, … and where the white space exists in the market … Then go after it in a resource friendly, reality-based way that doesn’t involve a lot of broken glass.
You won’t believe how much we know about this search …
My partner Allan Seibert and I spent a ton of time on the phone with CEO Troy Lee of Progressive Lighting teasing out exactly what you’ll need to KNOW and DO to hit the ground running in this role. Some of the things I can share with highly qualified candidates include …
- The “real” background requirements for this position, along with the top five things all resumes MUST have to be considered for the role.
- The top five problems that exist due to this position being open. These are the little brush fires you will be expected to put out during your first month on the job. Every job has these — and this one’s no different.
- What your average day / week will look like in this role. There’s what you read in the standard job posting … then there’s reality. We’ve got the reality.
- The leading and lagging KPI’s that will determine your success in this role. In a nutshell: How you keep score.
- The major projects you’ll need to complete by Day 100 to be considered a home-run in this position. We’ve got the lowdown on how you can plug-and-play and drive REAL value in this job.
We have a massive amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates. Our industry research for this assignment exceeds 100 pages! Be sure to TEXT Allan Seibert at (706) 318-1196 for this info. Or simply use the email link when you apply for the role below.
- Research and set strategy for LightsOnline’s shopping and purchase experience.
- Collaborate with LightsOnline’s internal and external stakeholders to lead site merchandising and operations activities with a focus on building a high-performance team.
- Manage / optimize all PPC and display advertising initiatives, including retargeting and prospecting.
- Drive all customer acquisition and retention initiatives across all digital channels, including organic and paid search, affiliate marketing, display advertising, email, retargeting, and direct mail.
- Manage relevant agency relationships and devise key strategies for online acquisition, customer retention, and reactivation.
- Drive improvements to LightsOnline’s ecommerce P&L, including revenue, margin and expense improvement
- Create seasonal content and merchandising calendars to ensure freshness, relevancy, consistency and appropriate balance of brand story-telling and commerce.
- Oversee LightsOnline’s email strategy, checking messaging is aligned with marketing, promotional and merchandising calendars and ensuring creative is on-brand.
- Oversee implementation of testing strategy and weekly reporting.
- Period reporting for LightsOnline’s CFO, including cost and profitability analysis.
- Lead operational decision making and partner with leadership in customer service, distribution and logistics to drive performance and customer satisfaction throughout the sales cycle
- Discover, evaluate and recommend new ecommerce technologies to ensure delivery of value and KPIs
- Establish detailed KPIs and metrics to track and report on performance of processes and programs and transform data into actionable insights and recommendations
- Bring new ideas and innovative approaches to digital experiences to drive growth and conversion
- Lead and oversee the customer experience on all digital platforms, and the achievement of commerce channel goals
- Coordinates activities with IT/web development shared services for new features and functions.
- Represents the LightsOnline brand during scope work for new systems
- 8-10 years of experience in ecommerce and/or digital marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree required; business, marketing or related field preferred
- Subject matter expertise in web production, site operations, UI/UX, features and functionalities, site merchandising and content and digital marketing strategy, digital marketing tactics
- Strong leadership, influencing and communication skills with ability to interact, influence and align with all levels of the organization, both internal and external
- Demonstrable and impressive track record of achievement in revenue growth, management of budgets, developing relationships with third party vendors, team building and development
- Strong management of P&L
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Experience managing staff
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Allan Seibert. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Allan for additional information that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.