CLEVELAND ROCKS – With +200 contingency-based searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading executive search firm serving the Shop.org and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. To connect with Harry Joiner on Linkedin, click here.
As you may have heard, Cleveland rocks!
One of the coolest ecommerce jobs around …
AmeriMark Direct is a leading catalog/ internet retailer of women’s apparel, shoes, cosmetics, fragrances, jewelry, and health-related merchandise. Currently, the firm is ranked #275 in the 2016 Internet Retailer Top 500.
AmeriMark operates six websites and related catalogs, some of which include AmeriMark.com, TimeForMeCatalog.com, FeelGoodStore.com, and BeautyBoutique.com. Across those sites the firm serves an older customer, typically aged 65-75. (You Millennials, laugh all you want.)
The Boom in Boomer spending.
Not many marketers know this, but the U.S. will soon have the largest elderly population in its history. That’s right. By 2020, there will be 56 million Americans aged 65/up. Yet only 5% of ad spending is targeted at “Leading Edge” (older) Boomers despite their $46 trillion in wealth. These folks are loaded, and that represents a huge opportunity for companies like AmeriMark.
Here are some surprising facts about Boomers’ online behavior:
In general, Boomers are NOT tech novices: Nearly all Boomers are online, possibly because they understand the correlation between longevity and connecting to others. 82.3% of Boomers belong to at least one social networking site, and more than 15% spend 11+ hours per week on Facebook. One in four mobile shoppers is 55+, and Boomers outspend younger adults online 2:1 on a per-capita basis.
AmeriMark is well-positioned to take advantage of these trends.
As AmeriMark’s new Sr. Manager of Ecommerce (or Director, depending on your level of experience) you’ll be responsible for growing online sales and profits by focusing primarily on site merchandising, site search, paid search, and marketplace sales as well as site operations and usability. This is a really important role in which you’ll work closely with the firm’s Merchandising and Inventory teams to create and drive the growth strategies that will take AmeriMark to the next level.
This role is not a turn-around.
Without getting into specifics, AmeriMark’s total revenues run into the hundreds of millions of dollars, with online representing a substantial portion of that. The firm’s CEO is now in his third year and by all accounts AmeriMark’s best days are ahead of it. Great team. Great culture. Excellent business model. Strong leadership.
In this role, you will report directly to a talented veteran VP of Ecommerce, and you’ll find yourself managing at least one agency for performance marketing as it pertains to both mobile and desktop. You will also lead certain aspects of web operations, including the day-to-day execution of merchandising. Currently, this role does not encompass affiliate, social, or email marketing.
Ideally, we’re looking for an established A-player who understands direct to consumer marketing and can share success stories regarding what they have accomplished in similar roles. Growing the house file is a top priority given the strides AmeriMark has made in improving the look and feel of its merchandise.
Traditionally, AmeriMark’s online business has been heavily influenced by its print catalogs and with customers seeing a product in another channel and then Googling it to buy online. Obviously, as AmeriMark continues to tweak its merchandise offering, a strong presence in the organic SERPs will be critical to your success.
To make your mark in this role, we will expect you to step in and take over the paid media programs for four sites. That’s a lot to say grace over, and in fairly short order we will want you to demonstrate that you can capture new customers according to AmeriMark’s ROAS and LTV parameters. You will lead the strategy and the execution for customer acquisition, all the while making sure that each of your sites is appropriately merchandised.
You will oversee the collection/ analysis of all KPI’s, such as: decreased shopping cart abandonment rates … increased AOVs … increased number of SKUs per order … increased conversion rates … and more.
Basically, your job is to sell more STUFF, to more PEOPLE, more FREQUENTLY, over a longer LIFETIME. And do it more EFFICIENTLY. You’ll do that by improving the quality of traffic, the amount of traffic, and your sites’ conversion rates.
You said you wanted a shot at the big time. Well, here it is.
AmeriMark uses a homegrown ecommerce platform, so if you need a major platform to succeed, you might think twice about applying. This is probably not the right job for someone who feels like they need a major platform to succeed. Don’t get me wrong: The platform works great, but it will take some getting used to. However, because this role will not involve email – you’ll have some extra time to get acquainted with the system.
You’ll need to possess strong time management skills and know-how to “work a building.” All told, AmeriMark has eight catalog titles and all of those merchants will need face time with the digital marketing team. You’ll need to make them feel represented.
Having said that, the business is running well. The team is trying new things, putting lots of irons in the fire, testing smartly, and making fact based decisions regarding which categories and creative strategies are working the best. What you’ll find here is a growth oriented mindset as the company acquires the new, slightly younger customer who is more comfortable spending time on sites with a less dated look and feel.
This is a fantastic gig for any smart digital marketer who appreciates the value of seeing the world through his/her customers’ eyes. In particular, we’re looking for a data-driven marketer who can run a family of sites that reflects …
- A desire to listen to the Baby Boomer
- An understanding of the Boomer’s needs and wants — and how they buy
- An understanding of the changing communications process in Boomer customers
- The development of a bond, a trusting relationship (vulnerability, honesty and integrity)
- An ease in the processing of relevant facts and information, and
- An understanding of the value and effectiveness of storytelling and personal anecdotes
If you’re the kind of digital marketer who’s analytically biased and hypothesis driven, and you’re ready to learn all you can about this massive and richly diverse market, then please TEXT Kelley Newsome at (423) 748-0660.
Or simply apply with the link below.
- Managing products, merchandising content
- Optimizing the site search function
- Coordinating drop-ship merchandise initiatives
- Collaborating with Inventory Planning and Merchandising to implement sales strategies for moving clearance and closeout merchandise.
- Monitor item and category conversion rates and make adjustments to copy, images and landing pages as needed
- Develop & manage a digital promotional calendar. Ensure timely execution of marketing campaigns and promotional activities through all online channels (web site, search, affiliate, SEM, Display)
- Coordinates paid search programs with paid search agency
- Manages feeds to support marketplaces, paid search, CSE’s, and other marketing programs
- Develop best practices approach for analyzing user behavior on our websites including gathering and analyzing data to identify key performance indicators (KPI’s), understand online traffic patterns, segment customer behaviors
- Perform data analysis and implement tactics to improve product sales performance
- Owns and tracks marketing effectiveness and digital dashboards
- Continuously monitors competitor brands and activity to understand market dynamics and opportunities
- Manages budgeting and forecasting process
Web Operations & Usability
- Drives Ecommerce UX/UI functionality & enhancement roadmap, partnering with the Web Development team
- Coordinates and analyzes user feedback and product reviews to identify areas for improvement
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business or Marketing
- 6-8 Years’ experience in a similar role, preferably with an online consumer products retailer including managerial experience
- Very strong analytical skills
- Proficiency with web analytics Coremetrics, Google Analytics, Omniture
- Advanced skills in Excel and preferably working knowledge of SQL or similar
- Action-oriented and flexible with capacity to operate successfully in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong understanding of online search and online marketing
- Strong communication and team building skills
- Solid organization and planning skills
- Highly process-oriented and has a history of implementing workflow and procedures
- Strong project management experience
- Problem solver; solutions oriented
- Experience working with complex data as well as developing “big picture” strategy
- Demonstrated ability to manage a budget and communicate trends/projections for A/S, ROAS and/or ROI
Applications for this position are being coordinated by Kelley Newsome. To apply, CLICK HERE. Candidates, please be sure to email Kelley for a packet of market research and company / competitive intel that will differentiate you in your candidacy. Due to the intensely competitive nature of this search, thorough preparation for these interviews with this proprietary material is strongly recommended.