AUSTIN, TX – With more than 200 digital commerce searches each year, EcommerceRecruiter.com is the leading contingency-based executive search firm serving the Shop.org, Ad:Tech, and IR-500 communities. To opt-in to our popular “Ecommerce Job of the Day” email, click here. (Simply unsubscribe at the end of your job search.)
One of the coolest Austin ecommerce jobs around!
We are working with Essilor in their search for an Ecommerce Operations Manager for FramesDirect based in Austin, Texas.
HARRY’S COMMENTS: FramesDirect is a pure play. Remember those? They’re the online retailers with no brick-and-mortar stores and no omnichannel component. Like Amazon. Despite the incessant buzz about omnichannel, there are smart people out there who question the merits of an omnichannel strategy, and I can see their point. If you don’t have stores, then you have nothing weighing you down. If you do have stores, you’ll have to reinvent yourself.
Makes sense to me.
Searches like this are my favorite because pure play online retailers usually have a very strong “sense of self.” They know what their business is about, who their business is for, and why — exactly — their target customer should choose to do business with them versus every available option, including doing nothing.
Such is the case with FramesDirect, online purveyor of the world’s finest prescription eyewear. Founded by two optometrists, Dr. Guy Hodgson and Dr. Dhavid (yep, Dhavid with an “h”) Cooper, who ran a chain of successful optometry practices in Houston Texas, FramesDirect was founded on the premise that patients want a broader selection of better eyewear at lower prices than could be offered in brick-and-mortar stores.
Their timing was perfect.
FramesDirect launched in 1996 and was the first company to sell eyewear online. Later, the firm became the first company to sell progressive lenses online as a result of the groundbreaking innovation its founders were introducing. Today, FramesDirect is committed to using only the highest quality lenses, providing world-class customer service, offering the best selection of premium brand eyewear, and selling their merchandise at the lowest possible price without sacrificing quality.
As you can imagine, the market for eyewear is massive.
While I can’t give you the exact size of the US market for prescription eyewear, I can offer some proxies. In the United States there are roughly 20,000 optometrist offices with a combined revenue of $12 billion. I’ve recruited for Luxottica, and I’ve heard eyewear market size estimates as high as $20 billion. That’s $63 for every person in America (including babies!).
Demand for eyeglasses is driven by demographics, and the aging of the US population increases demand for eye exams and eyeglasses every year. Consider this: Boomers number nearly 80 million and make up 26% of the US population. Roughly one in 4 consumers is a Boomer, and every day for the next 18 years, 8,000 Boomers will reach age 65. Most of ’em will need prescription eyewear.
It gets better: Nearly 40% of Boomers are affluent and can afford to maintain a trend-right appearance. And while Boomers are by no means the only demographic to which FramesDirect sells, it’s nice to know that there’s an extraordinary volume of business to be done with the Boomer cohort, where the opportunities to cross-sell and up-sell frames and lenses is enormous.
About the Role
As FramesDirect.com’s Operations Manager, you will be responsible for the day-to-day function of the several operations and functions, possibly including customer returns, distribution center, customer service, etc. This position is being backfilled, and it’s one of three operations manager roles within the company. The plan is to assign the responsibilities of this position once we know your strengths.
The current team is talented, but there’s always a lot to do during the holidays. What this team needs is a street smart, business oriented operations up-and-comer who understands the mechanics of throughput, inventory management, and operational expense containment.
In other words, we’re looking for someone who with solid process experience.
You needn’t be a black belt — but some knowledge of Six Sigma would be helpful. This role is all about creating workflows, identifying bottlenecks, and improving efficiencies around the organization. You’ll need solid analytical chops and a track record of success “making the trains run on time” in your previous jobs. Be prepared to discuss examples of how you got MORE done with LESS … money, people, time, and resources.
During these interviews, we’ll be probe your knowledge of operations KPI’s for cost and efficiency activities, customer service workflows, and call center functions (a plus). We need an inventive A-player with an accountability mindset who understands how to align teams and processes around specific goals. Beyond that, we’re looking for someone who’s constantly asking WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY in an effort to get to the root of the company’s problems.
As usual, we have a phenomenal amount of proprietary intel to share with qualified candidates about FramesDirect’s industry, company, management team, this role, and the hiring process. Our industry research alone exceeds 50 pages — and our call center best practices report adds another 38 pages to this dossier. Applying for this job without this information is like bringing a knife to a gunfight!
This search is being handled by Kelley Newsome. To request this information, please text Kelley at (423) 748-0660. Or simply apply below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise staff within one or more operations departments.
- Maintain proper employment levels through selecting, interviewing, and training of personnel; Conduct performance management activities within each assigned area of responsibility
- Monitor productivity and quality of responsible departments and adjust headcount levels accordingly
- Manage and improve operational processes, policies, and systems in support of the organization’s mission and to improve efficiency and quality
- Maintain effective inventory control processes which includes inspecting and maintaining quality and standards of goods and supplies
- Create reports, metrics, and budget plans for the organization, as assigned
- Contribute to long- and short-term organizational planning which includes planning for initiatives geared toward operational excellence
- Work closely with other departments within FramesDirect to ensure effective execution of new programs and offers
- Negotiate and coordinate with vendors and suppliers, as needed
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated leadership in managing people and projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Budget development and oversight experience
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view and make good judgment calls
- Persuasive/influential regarding details and facts
- Process improvement minded
- Delegate responsibilities effectively
- College degree preferred
- At least 5 years’ experience in operations management in functions such as: distribution, returns, inventory management, customer service, etc.
- Optical experience is preferred but is not required.
UPDATE: THIS SEARCH IS CLOSED.